ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Thoughts of forcing pets to go vegan? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368380)

Denver 08-07-2020 01:14 PM

Thoughts of forcing pets to go vegan?

Lewis Hamilton has said he has turned his dog vegan which I don't think is right.

Its fine if you want to be a vegan but I don't think you should force your pets to also go vegan especially when meat is very important to their diet

Niamh. 08-07-2020 01:18 PM

Dry dog food, which most people feed their dogs has about 10% meat in it anyway, it's mostly cereal so it's not that big of a deal really

Denver 08-07-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10876685)
Dry dog food, which most people feed their dogs has about 10% meat in it anyway, it's mostly cereal so it's not that big of a deal really

I also believe a dog should it more than just biscuits, I wouldn't like to eat biscuits for every meal so neither will my dog

Niamh. 08-07-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10876688)
I also believe a dog should it more than just biscuits, I wouldn't like to eat biscuits for every meal so neither will my dog

That's totally your choice but it's not bad for your dog to feed them dry food either. My cat will only eat dry food in fact and only certain kinds :shrug:

LeatherTrumpet 08-07-2020 01:29 PM

Stupid Pollock. He really is vile.

arista 08-07-2020 01:32 PM

To Dry for Dogs
gives them a shorter life

Cherie 08-07-2020 01:37 PM

If his dog has eaten meat previously then its an abusive decision,
'
if its a pup and never knew any differently that is fine, not something I would consider doing myself, like forcing cows to eat meat? animals are herbivores or omnivores and we shouldn't mess with nature

Morgan. 08-07-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10876688)

Well no but it’s also not like throwing a whole tray of party rings out for you dog. Most dry dog foods have everything in that the dog needs to be healthy so there’s not really an issue there tbh.

For 8 years my dog had dry foods, we’d change the flavour etc regularly so it was repetitive, and he’s a very healthy dog with no complications. Now he has half and half wet/dry because he wasn’t drinking much so high water content in his diet is a bonus.

bitontheslide 08-07-2020 01:39 PM

dogs eat dog poop if they are not stopped so i cant see it doing any harm provided the feed contains the correct vitamins

caprimint 08-07-2020 01:45 PM

Even more reason to champion him in F1 now :clap1:

Denver 08-07-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10876701)
If his dog has eaten meat previously then its an abusive decision,
'
if its a pup and never knew any differently that is fine, not something I would consider doing myself, like forcing cows to eat meat? animals are herbivores or omnivores and we shouldn't mess with nature

His dog is 7 and only recently gone vegan

Niamh. 08-07-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10876711)

I'd bet my life that dog doesn't even realise he's gone vegan.........

Toy Soldier 08-07-2020 02:06 PM

Dogs are omnivores so so long as the dog enjoys the food and is getting the right nutrition then it's not really an issue.

Forcing a vegan diet on a cat is ridiculous and verging on neglect/abuse. If you feel that strongly about it - just don't get a cat.

Niamh. 08-07-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10876713)
Dogs are omnivores so so long as the dog enjoys the food and is getting the right nutrition then it's not really an issue.

Forcing a vegan diet on a cat is ridiculous and verging on neglect/abuse. If you feel that strongly about it - just don't get a cat.

My dog eats literally everything, fruit, veg, meat, pasta, whatever she will eat it :laugh:

My cat eats one brand of cat food and that's it(well actually he will eat 1 other brand but it's really cheap **** and no nutritional value at all). Dry food only, I tried to give him wet food last week because he had to get 2 teeth pulled but all he does with wet food is lick the sauce off and leave a pile of meaty stuff behind. He won't eat any bits of real meat (the very odd time he'll have a nibble at chicken but nothing else and he doesn't even love that

Liam- 08-07-2020 02:14 PM

Changing a dogs diet is a reasonably normal thing to do, what’s the issue?

My cats have a seasonal diet, in the hotter months they have biscuits and then when it gets cold we start giving them meat again, cause they don’t eat everything in one go and I can’t stand cat food being around when it’s hot :yuk:

Kazanne 08-07-2020 02:21 PM

My dogs have wet and dry food, morning and night ,they eat meat and vegetables, they tend to graze on the dry food, but always polish the meat off, I dont think I could force them to not eat meat now.

Toy Soldier 08-07-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10876715)
My dog eats literally everything, fruit, veg, meat, pasta, whatever she will eat it :laugh:

Add in toys, sticks, her bed, hair, an entire broom handle and the occasional rock and that sounds like Rosie :joker:. She also devoured a MASSIVE clump (I'd say about three tennis-ball sized chunks) of horse **** yesterday on a walk. Delicious!

Though she turned her nose up at a "tails.com" sample we got. Which is pretty concerning. I mean, "My dog will eat literally anything up to and including her own feces, but won't eat this..." is a pretty bad review.

Quote:

My cat eats one brand of cat food and that's it(well actually he will eat 1 other brand but it's really cheap **** and no nutritional value at all). Dry food only, I tried to give him wet food last week because he had to get 2 teeth pulled but all he does with wet food is lick the sauce off and leave a pile of meaty stuff behind. He won't eat any bits of real meat (the very odd time he'll have a nibble at chicken but nothing else and he doesn't even love that
Yeah, my cat that I had as a teenager went off wet food when he was a bit older and would only lick off the jelly/gravy. Dry cat food contains quite a bit of animal produce though, it's just ground up into the mix before being biscuit-ised. So it's still meat... just more of the "hotdog or chicken nugget" variety.

Cherie 08-07-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10876711)

Nonsense then, his poor doggie

Niamh. 08-07-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10876721)
Nonsense then, his poor doggie

The dog knows nothing about it I bet......he probably has a dog chef as well so can't feel too sorry for him

Cherie 08-07-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10876725)
The dog knows nothing about it I bet......he probably has a dog chef as well so can't feel too sorry for him

My dog would miss treats, if he doesn’t get a dental stix he will put up a right fuss :oh:

Even if he has done it, why announce it, just attention seeking :idc:

Niamh. 08-07-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10876731)
My dog would miss treats, if he doesn’t get a dental stix he will put up a right fuss :oh:

Even if he has done it, why announce it, just attention seeking :idc:

The dog has it own Instagram page apparently :laugh:

Cherie 08-07-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10876735)
The dog has it own Instagram page apparently :laugh:

Figures :laugh:

Toy Soldier 08-07-2020 02:44 PM

It's probably performative - he'll be supplying doggo with cocktail sausages in secret.

Tom4784 08-07-2020 03:23 PM

It reminds me of that woman on This Morning a while back who claimed her dog was vegan and then when they tested it out, the dog ate meat at the first chance he got.

A vegan lifestyle should be a choice and it shouldn't be forced on anyone and that includes animals. It's good for dogs to eat both veggies and meat, I think it's dumb to put them on vegan diets and it serves nothing but their owner's vanity.

Niamh. 08-07-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10876762)
It reminds me of that woman on This Morning a while back who claimed her dog was vegan and then when they tested it out, the dog ate meat at the first chance he got.

A vegan lifestyle should be a choice and it shouldn't be forced on anyone and that includes animals. It's good for dogs to eat both veggies and meat, I think it's dumb to put them on vegan diets and it serves nothing but their owner's vanity.

Of course he did, the dog didn't make the choice to be vegan, did they even need to "test it out"? :laugh: