ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Flanderisation of TV characters (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368586)

Redway 18-07-2020 04:50 PM

Flanderisation of TV characters

And by flanderisation I mean the grotesque exaggeration of characters' initial personality traits in the later seasons.

I'll start with Chelsea off That's So Raven being a total dumbo in seasons 3 and 4 despite actually being fairly intelligent in season 1. And Ned Flanders's from the Simpsons religious stance transforming from simple piety to fanatacism after his wife passed on.

Dogeatdog 18-07-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10882073)
And by flanderisation I mean the grotesque exaggeration of characters' initial personality traits in the later seasons.

I'll start with Chelsea off That's So Raven being a total dumbo in seasons 3 and 4 despite actually being fairly intelligent in season 1. And Ned Flanders's from the Simpsons religious stance transforming from simple piety to fanatacism after his wife passed on.

Kinda ironic that his name was Ned Flanders :laugh:

Toy Soldier 18-07-2020 05:38 PM

Every character in Friends from about S5 onwards is the obvious example. I still enjoy the later seasons to be fair, but they went from (almost) realistic humans to caricatures of themselves. Especially Joey, Phoebe and Ross.

Shaun 18-07-2020 05:46 PM

Hmmm... I suppose it's true of most long-running shows. The slow but inevitable running out of fresh material means characters become caricatures. See: Stewie from Family Guy originally being a criminal mastermind with an odd British accent but eventually turning into every gay/crossdressing joke thinkable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogeatdog (Post 10882094)

His name is where the term comes from :p

Dogeatdog 18-07-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10882122)
His name is where the term comes from :p

Omg? I never knew this but mind you I’ve never even heard of the word before :skull:

Redway 18-07-2020 05:58 PM

In Chelsea Daniels’ case it was more a case of a genuine dumbing down than flanderisation because she never showed any more than slight ditziness in season 1. They were already in the process of making her dumb and dumber in season 2 but it was more of a funny stupid than the braindead hardcore vegetarian she was in the third and fourth seasons.

DouglasS 18-07-2020 08:17 PM

Sheldon from the Big Bang theory. He wasn’t completely socially inept and anti social in the first season. He also didn’t have his weird OCD about certain things. He seemed quirky and odd in season 1 but come seasons 4 onwards he is an extreme version of himself

Marsh. 18-07-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10882112)
Every character in Friends from about S5 onwards is the obvious example. I still enjoy the later seasons to be fair, but they went from (almost) realistic humans to caricatures of themselves. Especially Joey, Phoebe and Ross.

Oh I'd have said Monica was the worst.

Rational woman with slight OCD and cleanliness tendencies becomes a big ball of neurosis from about season 6 or 7.

Marsh. 18-07-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogeatdog (Post 10882094)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogeatdog (Post 10882136)
Omg? I never knew this but mind you I’ve never even heard of the word before :skull:

Good GRIEF. :joker:

Cal. 18-07-2020 08:24 PM

Every character in Friends, especially Ross, Joey and Monica.

Oliver_W 19-07-2020 08:42 AM

I think basically the only long running (American) sitcom to avoid Flanderisation is Frasier.

Ammi 19-07-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10882367)
I think basically the only long running (American) sitcom to avoid Flanderisation is Frasier.

...in a way he kind of was Flanderised in the opposite way....there are a few characters who start more as ‘cameo’ or smaller character parts and then their parts start to become written in more as they flanderise into a main character.../..with Frasier, obviously he got his own show then from what started as a minor character in Cheers...Karen in Will and Grace, wasn’t she quite a minor character and the flanderised into a main one..?...I guess it can equally make a character...

Ammi 19-07-2020 08:50 AM

...I love Frasier btw, Oliver...:lovedup:...

James 19-07-2020 08:50 AM

Yeah, I was going to mention Joey from Friends. Monica too.

Oliver_W 19-07-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10882374)
...in a way he kind of was Flanderised in the opposite way....there are a few characters who start more as ‘cameo’ or smaller character parts and then their parts start to become written in more as they flanderise into a main character.../..with Frasier, obviously he got his own show then from what started as a minor character in Cheers...Karen in Will and Grace, wasn’t she quite a minor character and the flanderised into a main one..?...I guess it can equally make a character...

I've never seen Cheers, so I don't really know what he was like on there? But over the course of his own show, none of the characters really were flanderised.

Yeah Karen was meant to just be a side character I think, but she was expanded as the series went on. I like W&G but I do think all of the characters became a bit exaggerated toward the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10882375)
...I love Frasier btw, Oliver...:lovedup:...

Me too :D

Ammi 19-07-2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10882383)
I've never seen Cheers, so I don't really know what he was like on there? But over the course of his own show, none of the characters really were flanderised.

Yeah Karen was meant to just be a side character I think, but she was expanded as the series went on. I like W&G but I do think all of the characters became a bit exaggerated toward the end.

Me too :D

...he was Frasier on Cheers...that was were the character came from and during the progression of Cheers, his character built and built and it was obvious, he could stand alone...and it was very successful, I have no idea if it became more successful than Cheers, even...but it’s still flanderisation when you think about it, it can go either way and actually highlight and bring out a character who was more in the shadow...

Mystic Mock 19-07-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 10882239)
Sheldon from the Big Bang theory. He wasn’t completely socially inept and anti social in the first season. He also didn’t have his weird OCD about certain things. He seemed quirky and odd in season 1 but come seasons 4 onwards he is an extreme version of himself

I would agree with this.

Saph 19-07-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 10882138)
In Chelsea Daniels’ case it was more a case of a genuine dumbing down than flanderisation because she never showed even the slightest trace of ditziness in season 1. They were already in the process of making her dumb and dumber in season 2 but it was more of a funny stupid than the braindead pseudo-activist she was in the third and fourth seasons.

the writers did chelsea dirty in later seasons, she was almost unbearable

Jake. 19-07-2020 09:28 AM

Yeah, agreed what people have said re Friends.

Delboy from Only Fools is one that always sticks out. Went from being quite a gritty character who was pretty street savvy to somewhat of an idiot.

Epic. 19-07-2020 02:34 PM

Every member of the Simpson family.

Redway 01-08-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saph (Post 10882405)
the writers did chelsea dirty in later seasons, she was almost unbearable

When do you think the transition from sensible to dumb Chelsea began?

Smithy 01-08-2020 10:08 PM

LeatherTrumpet

Marsh. 01-08-2020 10:21 PM

:skull:

Mystic Mock 12-08-2020 08:55 AM

I think Diego from The Umbrella Academy may become the latest addition to the Flanderisation family after season 2 took a guy who had a temper, and had a sibling feud with Luther that was a bit more in depth in Season 1, and turned him into Patrick Starr from Spongebob Squarepants, including his dynamic with Luther being turned into two idiots mouthing off at each other.