ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BAME figures set to appear on British coins for the first time... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368798)

Ammi 26-07-2020 03:31 PM

BAME figures set to appear on British coins for the first time...

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is said to be looking at proposals by campaigners to have influential BAME people appear on a set of coins.

British currency will soon feature black, Asian and ethnic minority figures for the first time, it has been reported.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is considering the move after campaigners issued proposals to have influential BAME people appear on a set of coins, Treasury minister John Glen told The Sunday Telegraph.

British-Jamaican Crimean War nurse Mary Seacole and Noor Inayat Khan, who was a World War II agent and one of only four women to have received the George Cross, are among those under consideration, as well as the first Indian and Gurkha soldiers.

Plans have been submitted to the Royal Mint, which has been encouraged by the Treasury to draft proposals and designs for potential coins.

Mr Sunak is said to be "keen to support" the "timely proposal".

"The Chancellor is aware of this. We are obviously supportive and keen to be positive about it, we need to see some firm proposals from the Royal Mint but we are keen for this to happen," Mr Glen told the newspaper.

Non-white individuals have yet to feature on British coins or notes.

https://news.sky.com/story/black-asi...-time-12036346

James 26-07-2020 04:06 PM

I don't remember seeing any people on coins before, apart from the Queen.

Shaun 26-07-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10886916)
I don't remember seeing any people on coins before, apart from the Queen.

I'd imagine the article means it'll be a special set of coins that don't enter general circulation, but I could be wrong

Toy Soldier 26-07-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10886924)
I'd imagine the article means it'll be a special set of coins that don't enter general circulation, but I could be wrong

Probably a run of limited edition 50p's tbh. They do go into circulation for a limited run and are "collectible". Like the Beatrix Potter ones. 'Cept with BAME people on them. Collect the whole set!

arista 26-07-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10886928)
Probably a run of limited edition 50p's tbh. They do go into circulation for a limited run and are "collectible". Like the Beatrix Potter ones. 'Cept with BAME people on them. Collect the whole set!

Yes lots of special 50pences

Oliver_W 27-07-2020 09:33 AM

To be fair we don't know what race Britannia is.

https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...y=90&strip=all

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10887187)
To be fair we don't know what race Britannia is.

https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...y=90&strip=all

Given that she's a Roman-era construct, one would assume either Roman, some variety of Celtic or a combination of the two...

...so "a shade of white" however you look at it.

Oliver_W 27-07-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887190)
Given that she's a Roman-era construct, one would assume either Roman, some variety of Celtic or a combination of the two...

...so "a shade of white" however you look at it.

And The Doctor was a man until played by Jodie Whittaker.

Britannia could be any race, really. You can't tell from the depiction, she's just an indistinct profile.

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10887192)
And The Doctor was a man until played by Jodie Whittaker.

Britannia could be any race, really. You can't tell from the depiction, she's just an indistinct profile.

Realistically speaking though, a 2nd century depiction of a "mythical representation of Britain" is clearly going to be Northern European. There wasn't exactly much diversity 1800 years ago. Or... people. About 200 million in the entire world. Mind-boggling really, sounds so peaceful :flutter:.

bitontheslide 27-07-2020 09:52 AM

i've got a Churchill crown ( a coin for the youngsters) sitting in a drawer somewhere :laugh:

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10887199)
i've got a Churchill crown ( a coin for the youngsters) sitting in a drawer somewhere :laugh:

We love a racist coin collection :flutter:

Oliver_W 27-07-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887196)
About 200 million in the entire world. Mind-boggling really, sounds so peaceful :flutter:.

Maybe the Covid will bring us back to that :cool: as long as people I know don't fall to it

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10887206)
Maybe the Covid will bring us back to that :cool: as long as people I know don't fall to it

I mean with a death rate of less than 1% and a population of nearly 7.5 billion it seems unlikely. Covid hasn't put a dent in population increase - global population has increased by about 50 million since the start of Covid-19. Ain't no stoppin' us breeders :joker:.

Oliver_W 27-07-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887208)
I mean with a death rate of less than 1% and a population of nearly 7.5 billion it seems unlikely. Covid hasn't put a dent in population increase - global population has increased by about 50 million since the start of Covid-19. Ain't no stoppin' us breeders :joker:.

Yikes :joker: that's waaaay too many people though, some kind of pandemic would do the world some good! Let the animals and plants take over tbh

Livia 27-07-2020 10:59 AM

Black people make it on to British coins before anyone from the indigenous working class. I am not shocked.

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10887240)
Black people make it on to British coins before anyone from the indigenous working class. I am not shocked.

Who do you imagine in the working class is indigenously British, I wonder? Or is there some sort of cut-off date for entry? Because most of the UK's white working class is mostly of Norse and other continental European origin.

Oliver_W 27-07-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887250)
Who do you imagine in the working class is indigenously British, I wonder? Or is there some sort of cut-off date for entry? Because most of the UK's white working class is mostly of Norse and other continental European origin.

Well if you're gonna play that game, "Native" Americans are apparently of East Asian origin :laugh:

Is anyone really indigenous to anywhere?

Livia 27-07-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887250)

Yes, I'm half immigrant. However, we can trace my father's family back to London in the 1400s so far and we're still going, but he doesn't have the urge to request we have a Jew on a coin. Until 50 or 60 years ago the working class of this country was 99.99% white British. How many people have we had depicted on coins who were around in the last 50-60 years? None.

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10887256)
Well if you're gonna play that game, "Native" Americans are apparently of East Asian origin :laugh:

And eventually we're all African.

But I don't think it's really that comparible; there were some BAME people living in Britain long before most of the current GB population's ancestors spread to the isles, so MOST white people in Britain aren't any more indigenously British than many BAME people. There's a common myth that BAME people living in Britain is a new phenomenon - mostly down to the history books and paintings and what not being written by white upper class - but there have in fact been black people on British soil for many hundreds of years.

Toy Soldier 27-07-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10887258)
Yes, I'm half immigrant. However, we can trace my father's family back to London in the 1400s so far and we're still going, but he doesn't have the urge to request we have a Jew on a coin. Until 50 or 60 years ago the working class of this country was 99.99% white British. How many people have we had depicted on coins who were around in the last 50-60 years? None.

We had Peter Rabbit; being a rabbit doesn't stop him being a poster boy for white Britishness.

Liam- 27-07-2020 11:22 AM

Marsha P Johnson for the fumes

Livia 27-07-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887264)
We had Peter Rabbit; being a rabbit doesn't stop him being a poster boy for white Britishness.

Are you high, TS?

Liam- 27-07-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10887264)

Rabbits are fine, no black folk though :nono:

bitontheslide 27-07-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10887267)
Are you high, TS?

he got the covids from reading the daily mail

Smithy 27-07-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10887240)

Just say you don’t like black people and leave livia, Christ alive