ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   John Lewis to turn unwanted department stores into affordable housing... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368871)

Ammi 30-07-2020 12:02 PM

John Lewis to turn unwanted department stores into affordable housing...

John Lewis could turn vacant department stores into mixed-use affordable housing under radical plans to help turn the business around.

Dame Sharon White, chairman of the John Lewis Partnership, announced the initial results of her strategic review of the mutual in a letter to partners.

"As we re-purpose and potentially reduce our shop estate, we want to put excess space to good social use," Dame Sharon said.

The mutual is exploring plans for new mixed-use affordable housing with third parties.

The update follows a sweeping review of the department store chain and its sister business Waitrose by its new management team, which was launched in March.

The company also said it would expand its presence in financial services, aiming to grow it "significantly over the next five years"; horticulture; and rental products.

The partnership, once seen as one of the strongest performers on the high street, was already facing a serious threat from the rise of online shopping before coronavirus struck.

Dame Sharon indicated that more store closures are likely across both of its brands. Its John Lewis "shops will always be crucial to the brand but they will be in support of online", she wrote, adding that the company will be "more experimental with store formats". There will also be more "catch-up" investments in the John Lewis website to make the retailer "digital first".

It may open new Waitrose shops but will also "potentially [close] others where demand wanes".

Earlier this month John Lewis stunned the retail sector with plans to close eight stores, including two large department stores – one of which, in Birmingham, has only been open for five years.

This week it appointed a new HR boss ahead of what is feared to be a wave of job cuts. Dame Sharon said the mutual was "still targeting at least £100m of savings in head office costs".

Its fanous "Never Knowingly Undersold" price promise remains under review "to ensure we offer fair value for how our customers shop today", the chairman added.

Earlier this year Dame Sharon warned it was unlikely staff would be paid a bonus next year, for the first time since 1953.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/jo...092114351.html

The Slim Reaper 30-07-2020 12:05 PM

Good on them, although aren't their stores generally in big shopping centres, or on high streets? That could be a potential stumbling block.

Ammi 30-07-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10888919)
Good on them, although aren't their stores generally in big shopping centres, or on high streets? That could be a potential stumbling block.

...the one in Norwich is in the town itself and would be a great location for housing...

The Slim Reaper 30-07-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10888921)
...the one in Norwich is in the town itself and would be a great location for housing...

Apart from it being in Norwich, of course. :smug:

Ammi 30-07-2020 12:07 PM

...but yeah, even in shopping centres...as more and more shops close then it’ll surely make way for affordable housing developments ...

Ammi 30-07-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10888922)
Apart from it being in Norwich, of course. :smug:

...Norwich is one of the best cities on the planet...but what would you know, you’re forgiven for your ignorance...

The Slim Reaper 30-07-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10888924)
...Norwich is one of the best cities on the planet...but what would you know, you’re forgiven for your ignorance...

I dated a girl from east dereham once.

arista 30-07-2020 12:11 PM

Good move from John Lewis group

Ammi 30-07-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10888925)
I dated a girl from east dereham once.

...is this like a limerick, is there a punchline..?..

I once dated a girl from East Dereham...
she sold us all coke by the kilogram...

...etc..

Liam- 30-07-2020 12:13 PM

Good, it’s about time these massive corporations stood up and did something

The Slim Reaper 30-07-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10888928)
...is this like a limerick, is there a punchline..?..

I once dated a girl from East Dereham...
she sold us all coke by the kilogram...

...etc..

After a gram of nosebag, she looked like a hag, so I left and was never to be seen again :smug:

Oliver_W 30-07-2020 12:23 PM

Nice! Better to make use of existing buildings than to needlessly ruin countryside.

Ammi 30-07-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10888930)
After a gram of nosebag, she looked like a hag, so I left and was never to be seen again :smug:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/0185...itemid=8478631

...(..I think I might know her tbh...)...

UserSince2005 30-07-2020 12:41 PM

Can someone do the maths to find out if we are still in a housing shortage given 50k people just died.