ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Scotland has said Sorry for Guessed Exam Downgrades (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369160)

arista 10-08-2020 06:19 PM

Scotland has said Sorry for Guessed Exam Downgrades

Nicola
claims she will fix it Tomorrow

Ch4HDnews Live
SkyNewsHD/BBCnewsHD

LeatherTrumpet 10-08-2020 06:32 PM

Queen of redemption

MTVN 10-08-2020 06:40 PM

I fear we are going to have a similar mess on our hands on Thursday

bitontheslide 10-08-2020 06:45 PM

it's a non year as far as exams go ... universities etc are going to know that the results are dodgy. I don't think the exam results mean much

Toy Soldier 10-08-2020 07:09 PM

It is a bit of a mess, they've downgraded based on the schools previous years results.

My year group at school was quite a high performing year - the year above us was a dumpster fire. We would have been badly downgraded based on this system :facepalm:.

However - I agree that Universities are likely to lower entry requirements if this is happening across the board.

joeysteele 10-08-2020 09:05 PM

I fully commend her again here on this.

hijaxers 10-08-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 10894339)
I fully commend her again here on this.

Even though she had a face like a slapped arse whilst announcing it !

Toy Soldier 10-08-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijaxers (Post 10894348)
Even though she had a face like a slapped arse whilst announcing it !

She'll be ragin' that it happened in the first place. Bad PR :joker:.

UserSince2005 10-08-2020 10:17 PM

Pansy woman. Cannot handle pressure without breaking like a bitch

joeysteele 10-08-2020 10:44 PM

She's far and away the best Statesperson and leader in the UK at this time.
In my view anyway.

arista 11-08-2020 12:13 AM

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2...ent%201108.PNG

This front page has gone on 2 threads
the bottom half for this thread

James 11-08-2020 01:20 AM

It looks a bit like that it's just another way that the people that advocated the lock-down the most, didn't look at the long-term consequences.

The choices to me seem to be let teachers set grades for their own pupils, which leads to bias and inflated results - and a lack credibility in this year's results.

Or downgrade those results based on a school's recent history, which is unfair.

Ammi 11-08-2020 05:11 AM

...I’ve come to really like Nicola...she’s someone who appears to actually care../...not just a career politician...

...I remember a time when Britain had that...long ago in a far off land...

Cherie 11-08-2020 06:21 AM

Disgraceful to downgrade based on a previous years results, what were they thinking

Toy Soldier 11-08-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10894403)
It looks a bit like that it's just another way that the people that advocated the lock-down the most, didn't look at the long-term consequences.

The choices to me seem to be let teachers set grades for their own pupils, which leads to bias and inflated results - and a lack credibility in this year's results.

Or downgrade those results based on a school's recent history, which is unfair.

While I agree that there may be a degree of results inflation if they just go with predicted grades... I think the circumstances this year are such that we should just accept that. Does it really matter, in the long run? It's been an unprecedented year for students, just give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like it really means anything.

If you downgrade a result it can mean a young person missing out on what they want to do next. If you UPgrade a result, the worst that happens is that they pursue the qualification/institution they wanted to go into and find out they don't have the ability to succeed there. It's better than not getting the chance.

Medicine is the obvious example... if a student gets downgraded it might mean not getting into a medicine course AT ALL. If they're upgraded and wouldn't actually have got the grades - it's not like you then end up with a low-ability doctor in 6 years time. If they can handle the course they will become a doctor. If their ability level isn't up to scratch, they'll find out quite quickly. :shrug:.

Toy Soldier 11-08-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10894431)
Disgraceful to downgrade based on a previous years results, what were they thinking

The biggest problem is that it seems to be automatic universal downgrading... which makes it basically impossible for a straight-A's student to get straight-A's. Like someone who would have aced the exam might get bumped down to a B because their school had a bad year in 2018-19. Just crazy.

bitontheslide 11-08-2020 09:16 AM

what it shows to me is that Nicky and her government are equally capable of ****ing up as anyone else

Toy Soldier 11-08-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10894479)
what it shows to me is that Nicky and her government are equally capable of ****ing up as anyone else

Indeed although the exam boards operate quite autonomously... which is why I think Wee Nic will have had a "face like a slapped arse" when talking about this. It will have been a decision made at exam board level without Holyrood oversight and (with Nicola hating bad PR, like I said) this will have landed on her desk with a resounding "OH FOR **** SAKE". It is an obviously flawed decision but I suspect the first people in govt. heard about it was when the complaints started coming.

Niamh. 11-08-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10894456)
The biggest problem is that it seems to be automatic universal downgrading... which makes it basically impossible for a straight-A's student to get straight-A's. Like someone who would have aced the exam might get bumped down to a B because their school had a bad year in 2018-19. Just crazy.

Yeah, it's very very unfair, the Leaving Cert Students here won't get their "results" until the start of September but it's going to be exactly the same here, bright kids in mediocre schools will get thrown under the bus. It's going to be very messy. My daughter did hers last year thank ****, she would have had a nervous break down

arista 11-08-2020 02:10 PM

John Swinney Scottish Education Secretary
is Live on TV news