ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Piers Morgan Blocks Loose Women's Carol McGiffin On Twitter After Coronavirus Row... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369438)

Ammi 22-08-2020 08:08 PM

Piers Morgan Blocks Loose Women's Carol McGiffin On Twitter After Coronavirus Row...

Things might be a bit awkward the next time Piers Morgan and Carol McGiffin bump into one another in the corridors of ITV, after he blocked his fellow daytime star on Twitter.

The pair clashed on the social media site on Friday night in a row about coronavirus, prompting Piers to hit the block button on the Loose Women panellist.

The Good Morning Britain presenter riled Carol after he tweeted: “To everyone on here deluding themselves that Covid is ‘over’, take a look at Spain’s case & death rate in the past week. Then wake the ***** up. This pandemic has barely started.”

She then responded, tweeting: “Piers. The only deluded person around here is you. No one’s buying your hysterical bull**** anymore. You did a brilliant job of scaring the nation into paralysis but it’s over now.”

While Piers did not reply, shortly afterwards, Carol discovered he had blocked her.

Tweeting a screengrab showing that she was no longer able to view Piers’ tweets, she wrote: “Touched a nerve???”

On Saturday morning, Piers then tweeted: “Having to block a few T-list (and falling...) ‘celebs’ who’ve been driven bonkers by the pandemic & spew utter nonsense about the virus. They can now howl into the wind, and I will be spared their ignorant, deluded & foul-mouthed blatherings.

“It’s a win-win for all of us.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/piers-morg...113028566.html

bitontheslide 22-08-2020 08:20 PM

i think there is a bit of truth on both sides. On the one hand, we have to get back to normality as much as we can, on the other, there is a clear and present threat that we could be stuffed again come the autumn if people don't remain careful in what they do

Kizzy 22-08-2020 08:29 PM

For the first time I'm with piers here.

Marsh. 22-08-2020 08:52 PM

She didn't rant and wasn't foul-mouthed, he was. And yet he called her tweet foul-mouthed blatherings. :laugh:

Oliver_W 22-08-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10900332)

For the first time? Didn't you think it was wrong that NHS workers were getting parking tickets, and generally that the current government is a joke?

Kizzy 22-08-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10900412)
For the first time? Didn't you think it was wrong that NHS workers were getting parking tickets, and generally that the current government is a joke?

Well yes but that view isn't held by Morgan alone ..millions think boris is a berk. And hospital car parks are a scam.

joeysteele 22-08-2020 10:25 PM

I've never really liked Morgan.
However, he's almost been at one with me over this pandemic.

He exposed the scandal of Care home deaths, he exposed the deceit, incompetence and lack of knowledge by government Ministers.
So much they won't be interviewed by him.

I don't care which government had been in.
For the Care Home scandals, the playing with figures of deaths and testing.
The disgrace of protection equipment not being fully and readily available.
If they'd happened under any other government.
Someone like Morgan has been needed there to expose the blatant deceit, lies and near gross incompetence.

So I'd be with him on this one not Carol.

rusticgal 22-08-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 10900450)
I've never really liked Morgan.
However, he's almost been at one with me over this pandemic.

He exposed the scandal of Care home deaths, he exposed the deceit, incompetence and lack of knowledge by government Ministers.
So much they won't be interviewed by him.

I don't care which government had been in.
For the Care Home scandals, the playing with figures of deaths and testing.
The disgrace of protection equipment not being fully and readily available.
If they'd happened under any other government.
Someone like Morgan has been needed there to expose the blatant deceit, lies and near gross incompetence.

So I'd be with him on this one not Carol.

He speaks a lot of truth...:laugh:

Mitchell 22-08-2020 10:29 PM

Yeah I’m really not a Piers fan, but now and again he smashes it with a topic (previously gun laws), he has been the only one holding the right people accountable.

parmnion 22-08-2020 10:36 PM

Splendid.

Marsh. 22-08-2020 10:45 PM

Human being in sometimes says things I agree with and sometimes says things I disagree with shocker!

AnnieK 22-08-2020 11:47 PM

Neither are right or wrong in this case...Piers is.right that its not over, Carol is right that he is stoking the media hysteria.

Don't like either of them much....so I say they should FIGHT

Ammi 23-08-2020 07:07 AM

...I don’t really watch Piers or follow him in any way and I don’t watch Loose Women...have they been noticeably less ‘scare the nation into paralysis’ in their general vibe through COVID days than he has...?...because they don’t always present a great balance either, in their presenting styles etc...

...anyways, it was quite important to have tried for the right balance, especially and specifically through lock down days...because obviously, we couldn’t go anywhere or see anyone, so news reporting became a bigger part of our lives...and the reporting of daily deaths and how other countries who were still struggling as well, who were ahead of us...:sad:..I have family living in both Spain and France, for instance...and what they were reporting’, didn’t always match the media reporting...but that would be the same here, in different regions...

...the thought of our loved ones dying, is ‘paralysing’ enough, but the thought of them being alone if that happened...just awful..but because it was so important to observe and adhere to any restrictions as well, especially for those less vulnerable...and to not have the NHS completely crash...’scare’ does have to be applied as well, I think...it is a balance and a very difficult/almost impossible one...and I do think as well, for me anyway...the ‘scary paralysis’ of each day, would vary even though the media coverage didn’t vary so much...because a portion of that ‘scary paralysis’...came from other personal factors and a varying daily perspective...some days, the reporting felt a lot bleaker, not because it was...but because that was my own vibe for other reasons...?...and so that’s what I absorbed more...Even though most of my time has been spent in close contact with the lowest mental health I’ve ever experienced..well the closest contact that quarantine days and social distance allows etc...I thank that Lord that I’ve had work to focus on through it all, so quite exhausted to absorb too much reporting and media...

bitontheslide 23-08-2020 07:30 AM

the problem that news organisations had was that there really was no other news than covid and there were rarely any good aspects to concentrate on, particularly in the early days, so it basically set the scene for what was to come.

From a stress perspective, everyone is different. From my own perspective, once I knew what I had to do to keep me and my family safe, I just stopped watching the news, it served no useful purpose to be force fed sometimes tragic news 24/7. Some people thrive on that stuff, I'm not one of them

Ammi 23-08-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10900563)
the problem that news organisations had was that there really was no other news than covid and there were rarely any good aspects to concentrate on, particularly in the early days, so it basically set the scene for what was to come.

From a stress perspective, everyone is different. From my own perspective, once I knew what I had to do to keep me and my family safe, I just stopped watching the news, it served no useful purpose to be force fed sometimes tragic news 24/7. Some people thrive on that stuff, I'm not one of them

...the main ‘cOVID’ programs I watched like a starved creature..?....were the science/based ones, they’re so interesting in giving you just facts, obviously...I would have loved to have had more of those ...

Ammi 23-08-2020 07:47 AM

...that’s where talking to children and families helped as well, actually...children can be distracted from more scary stuff and become absorbed in the science bit...and I started to learn a lot from them also, in the ‘daily tasks’ they often had...

arista 23-08-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10900332)

Yes he makes sense on this.

Kazanne 23-08-2020 09:58 AM

I'm with Carol on this one, imo Piers Morgan has been quite hysterical over all this and scaremongering, so much so I just cannot watch him anymore, he never focuses on any of the positive things like in this article,plus he and his family haven't adhered strictly to the rules.
https://i.imgur.com/a7X5qtJ.jpg

Liam- 23-08-2020 10:10 AM

Love Carol, but someone keeping people aware of the rising risk factors isn’t scare mongering, it’s factual, it’s not over and the infection rate seems to be spiking again, this situation isn’t a fun one, if people want positivity, rainbows and glitter, watch cbbc, this is the real world and unfortunately, it’s not all sweetness and light.
Piers has highlighted positive things when they’ve happened, but a serious journalist shouldn’t sugar coat the reality of the times we’re living in, all he’s done is reflect the thoughts of the majority of the country, the people who don’t really care about it seem to be in the minority, sensible people who have always appreciated the scale of the virus don’t see it as being ‘hysterical’
Yes, the state we’re in now isn’t as bad as it has been, but the people who are playing it down and telling people not to worry, it’s almost over, regain normality, don’t listen to anyone saying it’s not great, they are the ones putting people at risk, blind positivity and neglect of fact is only going to set us back time and time again.

Liam- 23-08-2020 10:15 AM

I love the fact though that people are claiming fact and reason about a still deadly virus is ‘hysterical, scare mongering, negative nonsense‘ yet the same people will more than likely lap up any old **** about people on a boat coming here to murder us all and change our ways of life, if it wasn’t so blatant and pitifully exhausting, it would be funny

Marsh. 23-08-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10900633)
I'm with Carol on this one, imo Piers Morgan has been quite hysterical over all this and scaremongering, so much so I just cannot watch him anymore, he never focuses on any of the positive things like in this article,plus he and his family haven't adhered strictly to the rules.
https://i.imgur.com/a7X5qtJ.jpg

Surely nobody has to state the obvious when it comes to the difference between the current situation relating to covid and flu/pneumonia?

joeysteele 23-08-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10900639)
Love Carol, but someone keeping people aware of the rising risk factors isn’t scare mongering, it’s factual, it’s not over and the infection rate seems to be spiking again, this situation isn’t a fun one, if people want positivity, rainbows and glitter, watch cbbc, this is the real world and unfortunately, it’s not all sweetness and light.
Piers has highlighted positive things when they’ve happened, but a serious journalist shouldn’t sugar coat the reality of the times we’re living in, all he’s done is reflect the thoughts of the majority of the country, the people who don’t really care about it seem to be in the minority, sensible people who have always appreciated the scale of the virus don’t see it as being ‘hysterical’
Yes, the state we’re in now isn’t as bad as it has been, but the people who are playing it down and telling people not to worry, it’s almost over, regain normality, don’t listen to anyone saying it’s not great, they are the ones putting people at risk, blind positivity and neglect of fact is only going to set us back time and time again.

Yes to all this.

He also highlighted the scandalous loss of Doctors and Nurses and other health workers lives too..
Which this deceitful lot didn't even seem to know how many were losing their lives.

It's incredible there's anyone who cannot readily condemn the failures of this.

I knew diehard Tories would now be against Morgan on this.
Yet all he's done is expose deceit and present the truth and facts.
He had pictures behind him in the studio of the Health staff who'd lost their lives to this.
With Ministers not knowing they had.

Anyone defending that has lost all credibility with me,if they had any.

I best not start on the scandalous sacrificing of the elderly in so called Care homes again either.

If this was Labour, Lib Dem, coalition instead of the Cons. then I'd still be as furious with the incompetence from government on this all through.

I'm sorry I've no time for blinkered optimism and denial, after seeing and knowing of the scandalous loss of so many lives unnecessarily,of my own family and friends too, due to incompetence, procrastination and continuous deceit from those elected to protect.

Kizzy 23-08-2020 10:49 AM

It's no secret that many are becoming a little complacent about it, the experts have consistently warned that Covid likes the cold and to prepare for a spike as the temprature drops.
It's not scaremongering to highlight that, preparedness at the moment is all we have against covid, unlike flu and pneumonia.

James 23-08-2020 11:03 AM

I agree with what Carol McGiffin wrote. A lot of the media response has been reactionary and panicky, with a lack of consideration for the long-term, and it looks like Piers Morgan was a major part of that (though I don't watch his shows).

Kizzy 23-08-2020 11:14 AM

For me Carols view panders to those who are simply bored with Covid news and the realities of rises in other countries that are spiking again.
Look at the backlash when we ignored what was happening in Italy, we were slow to react to that and it cost yhe lives of thousands. All he is suggesting is we all keep our eye on the ball on this, ignorance is not bliss.