ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Could you be in a relationship with someone who... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369486)

Smithy 25-08-2020 02:12 PM

Could you be in a relationship with someone who...

Earns a considerable amount more than yourself? Or would you feel uncomfortable in that sort of situation?

I was talking to a friend about it and although in theory I think I could do it, when it came to stuff like gift giving or anything like I’d always feel like it was never enough.

What do we all think? :pipe:

The Slim Reaper 25-08-2020 02:15 PM

Yeah, of course. It's money not a worldview.

LeatherTrumpet 25-08-2020 02:21 PM

how much is the difference

like one earns 50K a year and one earns 250k?

Kizzy 25-08-2020 02:24 PM

Yep in a heartbeat..

Marsh. 25-08-2020 02:28 PM

Of course. And I'd be extra nice on paydays.

Toy Soldier 25-08-2020 02:28 PM

In a long term relationship it becomes irrelevant, or should, in my opinion. You share resources :shrug:.

Smithy 25-08-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10902002)
how much is the difference

like one earns 50K a year and one earns 250k?

I don’t know we were just talking hypothetically but sure let’s say that

Marsh. 25-08-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10902009)
In a long term relationship it becomes irrelevant, or should, in my opinion. You share resources :shrug:.

You'd be surprised. I know couples who literally battle over money beyond splitting the bills/mortgage 50/50.

When, as you say, if you're intending to be with that person for life, have kids etc it shouldn't really matter.

Smithy 25-08-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10902011)
You'd be surprised. I know couples who literally battle over money beyond splitting the bills/mortgage 50/50.

When, as you say, if you're intending to be with that person for life, have kids etc it shouldn't really matter.

Yeah I think pride would come into play too, I always like to pay my fair share

Cal. 25-08-2020 02:33 PM

My mum and dad have always been very much what’s mine is yours regardless of who has been earning more at any one time (atm they both pretty much earn the same) and I’d hope to carry that on into a long term relationship of my own so yeah.

Tom4784 25-08-2020 02:36 PM

I don't think it would bother me, tbh. I don't really understand how it could bother anyone.

caprimint 25-08-2020 02:40 PM

Yes because money doesn't define a person

Niamh. 25-08-2020 02:42 PM

Of course

AnnieK 25-08-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10901997)
Earns a considerable amount more than yourself? Or would you feel uncomfortable in that sort of situation?

I was talking to a friend about it and although in theory I think I could do it, when it came to stuff like gift giving or anything like I’d always feel like it was never enough.

What do we all think? :pipe:

When my friend left uni....her and her then fiance both got jobs and she earned about 3x what he did and a lot of their friends earned more so they always set limits on things like gifts, nights out etc so he wouldn't feel bad. Years later when they split he threw it back in her face and said he felt belittled by her and their friends making an issue out of the fact that he earned less than they did. He didn't complain at the time though :laugh:

Liam- 25-08-2020 02:48 PM

The idea obviously sounds nice, but in reality I’d probably feel like a scrounger if they paid for things all the time and whatnot

The Slim Reaper 25-08-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10902021)
When my friend left uni....her and her then fiance both got jobs and she earned about 3x what he did and a lot of their friends earned more so they always set limits on things like gifts, nights out etc so he wouldn't feel bad. Years later when they split he threw it back in her face and said he felt belittled by her and their friends making an issue out of the fact that he earned less than they did. He didn't complain at the time though :laugh:

You mean people drag up any old crap in a breakup?

Mystic Mock 25-08-2020 03:04 PM

Why would I care?:laugh:

Ammi 25-08-2020 03:36 PM

...I guess if it was flipped the other way, you wouldn’t not get into a romantic relationship with someone who earns considerably less../...I’m sorry, I can’t live you, your salary just isn’t high enough...:laugh:..?...for me and I think for many...it’s always been an equal ‘contribution’ in terms of percentage of income...

Liam- 25-08-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10902037)
...I guess if it was flipped the other way, you wouldn’t not get into a romantic relationship with someone who earns considerably less../...I’m sorry, I can’t live you, your salary just isn’t high enough...:laugh:..?...for me and I think for many...it’s always been an equal ‘contribution’ in terms of percentage of income...

I’d prefer to be the one earning more, or who has more money in general, idk, I love treating people and I hated being treated it makes me feel weird :laugh:

Cherie 25-08-2020 03:43 PM

Mr C and I have always shared what we earned, he earned more once we had kids as he worked full time, thinking about who paid for what is not healthy imo, if you are both happy with the arrangement then it wont be an issue, but then it depends on the people involved, if one is a spender and the other is tight with money it could lead to issues

Ammi 25-08-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10902041)
I’d prefer to be the one earning more, or who has more money in general, idk, I love treating people and I hated being treated it makes me feel weird :laugh:

...you can still treat the people you love, though...gifts and treats are not about what they cost, they’re about the thought put into them and how inventive that can be on very little money as well...?...I know that sounds corny, Liam...but it is true...I love giving someone the most ‘perfect’ gift, not the most ‘expensive’ gift...

Ammi 25-08-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10902041)

..I’m awkward about receiving expensive gifts as well, well most gifts, actually...thats why the cost isn’t the thing...the thoughtful ones, though...?...I feel less awkward because I just feel so touched by it...

Josy 25-08-2020 04:37 PM

Yes, my husband earns a lot more money than I do, it doesnt bother me.

We share everything and always have for over 20 years so theres no his or mine it's just 'ours' we obviously have separate bank accounts as well as joint accounts but I have a card for his personal account too :hee:

Amy Jade 25-08-2020 07:03 PM

I kind of already do, my boyfriend has his own business and earns considerably more than I do on a carers wage.

Withano 25-08-2020 07:07 PM

I couldn’t sign those marriage papers any faster