ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What do you dislike about your country's culture? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369493)

reecejackox 25-08-2020 11:27 PM

What do you dislike about your country's culture?

the binge drinking culture is awful in the UK.

Toy Soldier 25-08-2020 11:55 PM

Alcohol, definitely. It's not that I have a problem with people drinking, or even that I have a particular problem with binge drinking, it's this idea that alcohol is an "important" or even "vital" aspect of our culture or of any major occasion, and not an optional extra for fun - a leisure activity for adults. It's given a status that makes it problematic, and we have an absolutely MASSIVE problem with casual/functional alcoholism.

Kizzy 25-08-2020 11:59 PM

Yes that is embarrassing how we are viewed as louts everywhere.

In the political spectrum the culture of Britishness has been hijacked by UKIP types who squark about singing some dumb song while ex servicemen die on the streets. That culture is mainstream now.

MB. 26-08-2020 12:02 AM

*gestures broadly at everything*

Marsh. 26-08-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 10902204)

:joker:

Zizu 26-08-2020 01:06 AM

I hate the way so many Brits go abroad , drink too much and cause chaos wherever they go .. so embarrassing for us decent people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mystic Mock 26-08-2020 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reecejackox (Post 10902193)
the binge drinking culture is awful in the UK.

I think that I'll also vote for this one.

Another one would be that some people in the UK have a bad habit of thinking that anytime someone finds offensive comments offensive (I know) that it's "pc gone mad" rather than the particular comment being out of line.

Tom4784 26-08-2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 10902204)

Quite although I do have a special hatred for the delusional arrogance that so many people are afflicted with. We do not rule the waves, we haven't been a super power since the time of the empire and the world isn't going to line up to throw themselves at our feet when we crash out of the EU.

caprimint 26-08-2020 04:05 AM

The "cuisine", like aside from scones it's pretty ****ing terrible

Ammi 26-08-2020 05:17 AM

...I dislike a clickbait type of reporting that has become a part of the British culture of ‘media’...it’s always been there but I think it’s become more and more of recent times as ‘social media news’ has become more of a thing and more of an influence as well, as they’re both linked, I think...click bait is a huge follower of ‘outrage’ on the social media sites, a follower of ‘the venting’...and it’s very dangerous in how it inflames and how it incites and how it influences etc...it’s also very lazy as well, so there is very little news, just more, manipulation of news and views etc...and the irony of clickbait in our culture...is that, it apparently praises and supports ‘let’s make us all great again...’ etc...while being so intentionally divisive to the things that give a country ‘greatness’...clickbait is a media troll and sadly, a part of our culture and it doesn’t want a ‘great’ country, it wants a divided one...

MTVN 26-08-2020 06:10 AM

Nothing

Mokka 26-08-2020 06:22 AM

The Redneck, Conservative, Right Wing, religious zealots in the part of the country I live.

Toy Soldier 26-08-2020 06:56 AM

Oh yes I definitely agree with Ammi - the British "shock headline" press (both printed and online) is a very special kind of awful. I mean the tabloid press isn't "good" anywhere but the British flavour has this distinct anti-intellectualism that screams "proud to be dumb!".

Smithy 26-08-2020 07:29 AM

There is no British culture

LeatherTrumpet 26-08-2020 07:36 AM

Nothing, i like to see positives and not be negative

:)

Cherie 26-08-2020 07:54 AM

I hate that some people are embarrassed by being British

Embrace guys, Irish and proud :hee:

joeysteele 26-08-2020 07:56 AM

For me what I find both sad and now likely beyond repair.
Is the divisive delusion of Britain being this world beating Nation, when it clearly isn't.
Nor likely to be again.
The title of United Kingdom a huge joke all over.
We are anything but a United Kingdom.

The delusional divisiveness across the UK and how people get termed traitors.
Because the likes of media can whip up terms, sadly supported by some extreme elements in society, and from people leading political parties too.

This delusion of the UK still being powerful and great is the thing for me, destroying our culture.
We are slipping further away from any of the true evidences of greatness.
Even in domestic areas too.
Whether that's the suspicion and scapegoating of sick and disabled.
A coldness towards elderly.

Then internationally, this delusion that drawing up the UKs drawbridge as to the peoples of the World.
None of those make a Nation great..

For me then, it is the dangerous delusion in areas of society, of under half the Country who can seek to deny what's right for the true majority of the Nation.

That leaves sadly a broken culture, which I doubt now, cannot be halted as to sinking further.

As a footnote, our politics too is wrong and broken, now disgraceful.
Contributing greatly to that delusion and division between, age, class and even health vulnerability.
That destroys the culture of a Nation badly.

We need,in my view, a more accountable electoral system which represents the overall majority for those in power from the votes actually cast, not on seats.
Maybe that, would help remove some of the delusional extreme isolation attitudes of those entrusted with power for ALL.

As we stand, we are destroying true compassion, being unifiers, seeming selfless, even tolerance.
Our true positive culture under threat.

Kizzy 26-08-2020 08:03 AM

Great points there! 100% agree our media is shocking.

LeatherTrumpet 26-08-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10902267)
Great points there! 100% agree our media is shocking.

our TV, our radio, our broadsheets, our news websites, our news social media?

:conf:

Liam- 26-08-2020 08:30 AM

The idea that ‘patriotism’ means you can’t or shouldn’t criticise anything the country does or has done in the past, any form of reflection on our history is seen as some sort of anti-British thinking and it’s ruining any form of discussion

caprimint 26-08-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10902259)

This too

Toy Soldier 26-08-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10902268)
our TV, our radio, our broadsheets, our news websites, our news social media?

:conf:

Currently all of it. Overall, Murdoch press and online opinion-based trash is the worst of it.

LeatherTrumpet 26-08-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10902302)
Currently all of it. Overall, Murdoch press and online opinion-based trash is the worst of it.

what nonsense

we have a brilliant radio, best in the world

for example

Oliver_W 26-08-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

It is pretty cringey when people feel the need to apologise or feel shame for the actions of long-dead people.

Tom4784 26-08-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Embrace guys, Irish and proud :hee:

There's little to be proud of except the NHS and even that's being dismantled by dumbass voters that vote against themselves because Tories promise to be harsh on immigrants.

Patriotism is delusion, I'd rather see this country for what it is, flaws and all.