ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Boris’ Government performs ANOTHER embarrassing U Turn (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369498)

Smithy 26-08-2020 09:40 AM

Boris’ Government performs ANOTHER embarrassing U Turn

Christ can they get anything right :facepalm:

Liam- 26-08-2020 09:44 AM

This government is an actual embarrassment, I know people will say ‘it’s good they can change their minds!! #BackBoris’ but Christ, wouldn’t it be nice to be run by a government that leads from the front rather than one that is always on the back foot when it comes to important things.

Strictly Jake 26-08-2020 09:44 AM

Again I will post what the gov.uk website says. Yes its embarrassing

Quote:

[Wearing a face covering or face mask in schools or other education settings is not recommended. Face coverings may be beneficial for short periods indoors where there is a risk of close social contact with people you do not usually meet and where social distancing and other measures cannot be maintained, for example on public transport or in some shops. This does not apply to schools or other education settings. Schools and other education or childcare settings should therefore not require staff, children and learners to wear face coverings. Changing habits, cleaning and hygiene are effective measures in controlling the spread of the virus. Face coverings (or any form of medical mask unless instructed to be used for specific clinical reasons) should not be worn in any circumstance by those who may not be able to handle them as directed (for example, young children, or those with special educational needs or disabilities) as it may inadvertently increase the risk of transmission

Oliver_W 26-08-2020 09:46 AM

While flexibility in the face of new evidence etc can be a good thing ... jeezus-pleezus this government is embarrassing. Almost makes on yearn for the days of Cameron :joker:

LeatherTrumpet 26-08-2020 09:52 AM

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...3837755767.jpg

Toy Soldier 26-08-2020 09:57 AM

I honestly think the solution for teachers in schools is just for it to be allowed, but not required. :shrug:. I've seen teachers wearing them at my daughter's school, and others not wearing them, so I assume that's the case there.

Cherie 26-08-2020 10:19 AM

why is it embarrassing? they listened to concerns and acted on it

The WHO do not advise face coverings in schools

Strictly Jake 26-08-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10902313)

It is embarrassing as they have given schools so many u turns already. It should have been in place in the first place if its not safe to not wear a mask.

Samm 26-08-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Constantly going back on their word isn’t quite reassuring in a confident government is it.

Jake. 26-08-2020 10:30 AM

It’s beyond a joke at this point lol

bitontheslide 26-08-2020 10:31 AM

i would never criticise the government when they do what best evidence says is the right thing, all this thread shows is political immaturity by the op

Kazanne 26-08-2020 10:44 AM

Not embarrasing at all ,infact quite courageous as they know the backlash they get from some quarters, ,nothing wrong with taking advice and acting on it, a government that does not UTurn just isnt listening, but any old stick to bash I guess.

Tom4784 26-08-2020 10:55 AM

In fairness, when all this began, the medical advice was that masks weren't effective but Boris and co were far too slow on the uptake when that original advice was proven wrong. Masks should have been mandatory weeks before they were made so.

Smithy 26-08-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Because it was advised last Friday that children over 12 should wear them but Boris has said all week that it’s not necessary

Smithy 26-08-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10902344)
Not embarrasing at all ,infact quite courageous as they know the backlash they get from some quarters, ,nothing wrong with taking advice and acting on it, a government that does not UTurn just isnt listening, but any old stick to bash I guess.

The advice was changed last week and yet the government are only acting upon it now. It’s very embarrassing

Cherie 26-08-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samm (Post 10902326)
Constantly going back on their word isn’t quite reassuring in a confident government is it.

they haven't gone back 'on their word' the WHO and their own Health advisers have not advised it

Cherie 26-08-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10902366)
Because it was advised last Friday that children over 12 should wear them but Boris has said all week that it’s not necessary

by who? link please.

Toy Soldier 26-08-2020 11:02 AM

In all honesty though the science behind mask wearing is still very flimsy. That's inevitable really, it wasn't being properly looked at until less than 6 months ago, and that simply isn't anywhere near long enough for any really robust research to have been carried out. Previous "non-Covid" studies into mask wearing and the effect on the spread of illness has shown that it has little if any significant effect - BUT they have also shown that it doesn't do any harm. We're all sort of operating on "best guess" scenarios with it at the moment... and my take is that, if we know it's unlikely to cause any harm, and the effectiveness of how much good it does is "an unknown", we might as well err on the side of caution and wear them :shrug:.

The data will be available one day and we'll have some pretty robust stats on how effective it was (if at all). For now, there's no reason NOT to.

Smithy 26-08-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10902371)
by who? link please.

Christ alive maybe read the ****ing article? :facepalm:

Cherie 26-08-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10902362)
In fairness, when all this began, the medical advice was that masks weren't effective but Boris and co were far too slow on the uptake when that original advice was proven wrong. Masks should have been mandatory weeks before they were made so.

They made masks mandatory on public transport before Scotland (where is the backlash for that?) and as far as I am aware Wales still has a no mask policy, maybe Liam can comment because it might have changed

Cherie 26-08-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10902377)
Christ alive maybe read the ****ing article? :facepalm:

Stop swearing at me, I am working and didn't see the link,

Toy Soldier 26-08-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10902379)
They made masks mandatory on public transport before Scotland (where is the backlash for that?) and as far as I am aware Wales still has a no mask policy, maybe Liam can comment because it might have changed

To be faiirrrr (and defensive of Scotland) this is mainly because of the public transport situation in London which, in the UK, is pretty much unique to the city. "Mandatory masks on public transport in England" was mainly to mandate it on the London Underground.

Cherie 26-08-2020 11:06 AM

nothing in Labour run Wales I see

The UK government's change in advice came late on Tuesday - hours after the Scottish government recommended the wearing of face masks in secondary school corridors, and the Welsh government said it was reviewing its advice on face coverings for pupils.

Cherie 26-08-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10902383)
To be faiirrrr (and defensive of Scotland) this is mainly because of the public transport situation in London which, in the UK, is pretty much unique to the city. "Mandatory masks on public transport in England" was mainly to mandate it on the London Underground.

it was mandatory on public transport all over England

Liam- 26-08-2020 11:08 AM

We haven’t got a mandate as such, but masks in public is fully recommended, haven’t heard anything about schools yet though, our government like to wait until closer to anything happening before making decisions so it doesn’t have to make U-turns like Boris