ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Rape survivor calls for greater awareness for mask exemptions... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369855)

Ammi 08-09-2020 02:10 PM

Rape survivor calls for greater awareness for mask exemptions...

Georgina Fallows, 29, has faced abuse for not wearing a mask in shops and on public transport.

A rape survivor whose PTSD is triggered when her mouth and nose are covered is calling for greater public awareness of face mask exemptions.

Georgina Fallows, 29, was attacked and sexually assaulted as she made her way home a few years ago.

She has been left with post-traumatic stress disorder, which can be triggered by anything covering her mouth or nose - as that was how she was attacked.

Ms Fallows told Sky News: "I suffer from something called PTSD because I was raped and pulled off the street with someone covering my mouth with his hand.

"The nature of PTSD can mean you are back there again. So if there is something covering my mouth - it's his hand. It can be a complete terror"

Georgina, who works as a solicitor, gets flashbacks whenever her face is covered, which have been so severe in the past that she has had to be sedated by the emergency services.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...tions-12066415

Niamh. 08-09-2020 02:13 PM

What about those visors, would that not be a decent compromise for people who find the masks too restrictive for whatever reason?

Oliver_W 08-09-2020 02:14 PM

Is her PTSD worth more than someone's life, if she spreads Covid to a vulnerable person?

Ammi 08-09-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10909624)
What about those visors, would that not be a decent compromise for people who find the masks too restrictive for whatever reason?

...I guess possibly but they still might make someone feel quite panicked if they’d experienced a related trauma...lots of medical people don’t advise them as being any type of protection either because they don’t fit closely/snugly to the face...

Ammi 08-09-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10909625)
Is her PTSD worth more than someone's life, if she spreads Covid to a vulnerable person?

...it’s not really something she has any control over though, is it, Oliver...hence the greater awareness she’s calling for...

Niamh. 08-09-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10909628)
...I guess possibly but they still might make someone feel quite panicked if they’d experienced a related trauma...lots of medical people don’t advise them as being any type of protection either because they don’t fit closely/snugly to the face...

Presumably they would be better than nothing at all though

thesheriff443 08-09-2020 02:25 PM

If people’s don’t wear them I don’t see the problem because people working are not wearing masks.

Ammi 08-09-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10909630)
Presumably they would be better than nothing at all though

...I’ve noticed some supermarket staff members wearing them, although it’s mostly the regular masks that they wear...I don’t know if they would be a trigger for her as well...

LeatherTrumpet 08-09-2020 03:14 PM

https://images.news18.com/ibnlive/up...154307.367.jpg

parmnion 08-09-2020 03:19 PM

Hmmm...I believe it is her right to wear one or not, but imagine if she was on the train and the robust policeman was trying to get her in cuffs for not wearing one....does she then have to shout that shes been raped for all in the train to hear?

bitontheslide 08-09-2020 04:29 PM

it comes back to the fact that making mask wearing mandatory is a step too far, it's why the government didnt want to make it mandatory in the first place.

Someone could have flu, or any other virus and pass it on, that is not stopped by a face mask, and then that virus could get passed to a vulnerable person and they subsequently die. This has been happening since the dawn of time. Making something like mask wearing mandatory has a very limited shelf life

MTVN 08-09-2020 04:31 PM

The sunflower lanyards seem to have become quite widespread now and are a fairly effective way of making clear you have a reason not to be wearing a mask

parmnion 08-09-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10909727)
The sunflower lanyards seem to have become quite widespread now and are a fairly effective way of making clear you have a reason not to be wearing a mask

Those are the most ridiculous thing since..

well ,ust since.

GoldHeart 08-09-2020 06:14 PM

As someone mentioned , wouldn't a visor be better for her? . Might seem silly but a visor has more freedom to it.

But I I guess she's saying she doesn't want anything on her face? , So what's the answer then ??

MTVN 08-09-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10909749)
Those are the most ridiculous thing since..

well ,ust since.

Why

parmnion 08-09-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10909879)
Why

Cause it points out you have something up with you.. imagine if it was panic attacks!

The mere fact you have that on would bring one on cause everyone's looking at you like you were a wheelchair user in the 70s.

We dont need more labels ffs...that's my point.

parmnion 08-09-2020 06:56 PM

Saying that though I notice they are free, and I'm Scottish........and I've already paid about 15 quid on masks...hmmm..

MTVN 08-09-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10909882)
Cause it points out you have something up with you.. imagine if it was panic attacks!

The mere fact you have that on would bring one on cause everyone's looking at you like you were a wheelchair user in the 70s.

We dont need more labels ffs...that's my point.

Looking at you sympathetically though as opposed to looking at you scornfully for non mask wearing

parmnion 08-09-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10909886)
Looking at you sympathetically though as opposed to looking at you scornfully for non mask wearing

all scary behind your mask, looking scornful..

As pointless an exercise for the mask wearer as these labels are for the non mask wearer..