ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BGT receives thousands of Ofcom complains for BLM performance (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369888)

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10910601)
people watch a show like BGT for entertainment, not to be lectured to

While I disagree that it was "a lecture" - I actually can appreciate that Saturday Night Telly isn't the best place for political activism. I'm a (huge) believer in the importance of escapism/entertainment immersion and I can fully appreciate why people wouldn't want their "intellectual down-time" (which is all Saturday night reality trash really can be) suddenly infused with the same political statements they hear elsewhere. It's not that it CAN'T be part of it but it's about expectation, I suppose. e.g. in terms of movies - there are many amazing movies with strong political messages that I love. There are also many "popcorn" movies that I see to zone out, and it can be pretty jarring to have overt political statements slipped into popcorn movies. BGT is absolutely a "popcorn movie".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10910622)
So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints. :shrug:

However I can also see Annie's point here - there is a double standard if people are fine with some political soapboxing but draw a line at another variety. IMO the blurred lines are always going to be too complicated for a show like this, and BGT should stick to being purely light entertainment, but if they ARE ok with some campaigning then they have to be OK with all campaigning.

Tom4784 10-09-2020 10:57 AM

Racists with subhuman intelligence getting mad over a dance on a talent show? And they are often the ones that accuse others of being snowflakes.

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 11:01 AM

Jim takes down Diversity and talks about the performance. starts at 1.24

Liam- 10-09-2020 11:02 AM

One day black people will be able to do something meaningful without being told they’re doing it the wrong way or that it’s ‘not the right time or place’ and I can’t wait

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910745)

I don't think Jim Davidson doing a puffy-red-faced racist rant on YouTube is going to win you any arguments LT.

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910747)
One day black people will be able to do something meaningful without being told they’re doing it the wrong way or that it’s ‘not the right time or place’ and I can’t wait

Has anyone ever done anything meaningful on BGT though?

Kizzy 10-09-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10910640)
The simple fact is people complained to ofcom, and they did so because they objected to the content. People can politicise things to the extent of the law, but you can't force people either to like it or to watch it. People will make their opinions clear, and in this case, they have

How can you object to how someone expresses a feeling through interpretive dance?.!

If you don't like it don't watch it ..switch off.

Jake. 10-09-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910745)

Sounds about white

Kizzy 10-09-2020 12:44 PM

Ugh Saturday nights trash gammon tv... that's what people want on a saturday night? That guy was right, the revolution will not be televised :/

Livia 10-09-2020 12:45 PM

He had the freedom to take that piece of Americana on TV at peak time, people have the freedom to complain if they didn't like it.

The Slim Reaper 10-09-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10910622)
So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints. :shrug:

Bang on right.

I'm pretty sure that loads of songs written about political issues have been karaoke-murdered by wannabe's on saturday evening TV, without any issues.

Livia 10-09-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10910764)

Question of the thread.

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910791)
How can you object to how someone expresses a feeling through interpretive dance?.!

If you don't like it don't watch it ..switch off.

I think people do not want to sit at home with their children and watch a depiction of a man dying or glorifying a worrying marxist group who want to defund the police

(Last year in the US, 1,536 people were killed by police. In the UK, three people were killed.)

Britain's got Talent

Rob! 10-09-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910800)
I think people do not want to sit at home with their children and watch a depiction of a man dying or glorifying a worrying marxist group who want to defund the police

(Last year in the US, 1,536 people were killed by police. In the UK, three people were killed.)

Britain's got Talent

Ironically the spacial difference between you and the point is about the distance between the UK and the US.

Ammi 10-09-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910747)

Kizzy 10-09-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10910794)
He had the freedom to take that piece of Americana on TV at peak time, people have the freedom to complain if they didn't like it.

Americana... Are all reactions to crimes to be contained in the countries they happen in then?

You dont have to like it, but what grounds would you have to make a formal complaint about it?

Liam- 10-09-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

What has that got to do with anything I said?

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 12:56 PM

Id imagine Simon was raging.

His own show promoting the end of Capitalism and closing all prisons and letting criminals and roam free

:umm2:

Kizzy 10-09-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910800)

Britain's got Talent

Like I said if you don't like it switch off. It's fascistic to attempt to censor art. The producers of BGT had no issue with it and fair play to them for that.

Look at music over the years, there have been many protest songs written that were happily played on TOTP, if you didn't agree or weren't interested you'd switch off not complain it was aired at all :/

Look at all these snowflakes against freedom of expression, it's like Brexit never happened! We are free to do what we want now, so there.

Ammi 10-09-2020 01:02 PM

...George Floyd had freedoms as well ...but I guess that the power of a performance that expressed ...No, enough please...was overridden by...no, not on our watch, please...express that life taken in your own time and not on our entertainment watch...how much more can we really take of this...?...messing with BGT for goodness sake...

Kizzy 10-09-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

They have now... and look at the meltdown, what?... Why are you trying to make me think!? It's Saturday night ffs!

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910810)
Like I said if you don't like it switch off. It's fascistic to attempt to censor art. The producers of BGT had no issue with it and fair play to them for that.

Look at music over the years, there have been many protest songs written that were happily played on TOTP, if you didn't agree or weren't interested you'd switch off not complain it was aired at all :/

Look at all these snowflakes against freedom of expression, it's like Brexit never happened! We are free to do what we want now, so there.

Id imagine they ones who complained did switch it off and go and make a complaint?

isnt that the point?

Smithy 10-09-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserSince2005 (Post 10910647)
duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh,
duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh dUH,
DUH, DUH, DUH, DUH,
DUH! DUH!
DUH!

:joker:

Isn’t that X factor

Kizzy 10-09-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910815)
Id imagine they ones who complained did switch it off and go and make a complaint?

isnt that the point?

Why complain though? For every complainant there will have been 1000s who thought it was amazing...I did.

Why attempt to stop things you don't like?

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910822)
Why complain though? For every complainant there will have been 1000s who thought it was amazing...I did.

Why attempt to stop things you don't like?

You would have to address that question directly to someone who made a complaint