ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BGT receives thousands of Ofcom complains for BLM performance (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369888)

Liam- 10-09-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910822)
Why complain though? For every complainant there will have been 1000s who thought it was amazing...I did.

Why attempt to stop things you don't like?

Because right wingers are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to snowflakery ‘cancel culture’

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10910812)
...George Floyd had freedoms as well ...but I guess that the power of a performance that expressed ...No, enough please...was overridden by...no, not on our watch, please...express that life taken in your own time and not on our entertainment watch...how much more can we really take of this...?...messing with BGT for goodness sake...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910814)
They have now... and look at the meltdown, what?... Why are you trying to make me think!? It's Saturday night ffs!

I will preface this by saying I don't watch BGT. I think it's pretty much the worst brand of trash, and I actually *like* a lot of trash TV.

However, in general... I'm totally unapologetic in saying that, yes, people need headspace and escapism sometimes. It is healthy or even essential to be able to "switch off" sometimes if you don't want to end up hopping off down the depression/anxiety rabbit hole and I don't think anyone should feel bad for insisting that - as vitally important as many issues are - it's not a case at all of meaningful issues vs frivolous entertainment with the entertainment "obviously" always coming second to current social issues and politics. The balance is important, we're all bombarded with hard-hitting politics all week long and... yeah... if people want to eat some fish fingers and waffles, switch off their brains and watch dumb Saturday night telly without it too being full of political messages then I will fully defend their right to do just that.

Like I said originally I'm aware that there may well be a double standard going on, with people not being bothered about other political messages and suddenly kicking off over this, and that's another discussion BUT on the basic premise of people having the right to NOT always want to engage with politics 24/7, and in fact access to "simple escapism" being an essential aspect of good mental health.

Ammi 10-09-2020 01:44 PM

....hmmmm, I’m not really why you’re quoting my post there, TS...or what you’re unapologetic for...I honestly don’t know what your post is referring to in relation to any other post tbh...

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910830)
Because right wingers are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to snowflakery ‘cancel culture’

Most of the people who complained were labour voters

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10910835)
....hmmmm, I’m not really why you’re quoting my post there, TS...or what you’re unapologetic for...I honestly don’t know what your post is referring to in relation to any other post tbh...

The idea that it's "petty" for people to complain about global political events being brought "into their entertainment time", as though the importance of the latter pales in comparison to the former.

The idea that "simple entertainment time isn't that important" because people should always be ready and willing to listen to political voices "about important things" is a very quick route to poor mental health, generalised anxiety and (ultimately) no one having the mental resources or energy to do anything about anything.

Oliver_W 10-09-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10910622)
So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints. :shrug:

To make it a closer comparison, I'd be interested to see if people would complain about a dance which showed people choking to death in a smoke-filled wasteland to make an environmental point.

Anyway, if people are gonna get on their soapbox about foreign affairs, I wonder why people aren't talking about the concentration camps in China? FGS a world war was started 80ish years ago because of people acting like China are now...

Rob! 10-09-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910843)
Most of the people who complained were labour voters

And you know that how? :laugh2:

Tom4784 10-09-2020 02:30 PM

I reject the whole 'people need an escape' angle tbh. It's complete white privilege to want a 'break' from hearing about racism. Black people don't get a break, they have to live it. Black people in America have to deal with the fact that they can be shot to death while sleeping in bed, or playing a game with their nephew in their own Living Room or being shot by an officer who has wandered into their apartment and killed them because the officer was in the wrong department. The UK is not so innocent when it comes to brutality either.

If people get tired of hearing about racism and inequality in general, they should probably appreciate the fact that it doesn't affect them and the 'worst' they have to deal with is simply hearing and acknowledging that such inequality exists.

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910830)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 10910861)
And you know that how? :laugh2:

Oliver_W 10-09-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10910863)
Black people in America have to deal with the fact that they can be shot to death while sleeping in bed

If you're referring to Breonna Taylor, there's some misinformatino there.

Obvious she shouldn't have been killed -being part of a drug ring doesn't carry the death sentence- it seems she was in her hallway at the time. Not that that makes it any better.

Tom4784 10-09-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10910877)
If you're referring to Breonna Taylor, there's some misinformatino there.

Obvious she shouldn't have been killed -being part of a drug ring doesn't carry the death sentence- it seems she was in her hallway at the time. Not that that makes it any better.

Kind of irrelevant, as is the drug ring thing since it stinks of attempting to justify her death as her being in the wrong.

They were in bed, and they got out because of the police and then she was shot to death.

Cherie 10-09-2020 03:13 PM

Its probably people with young kids who were just sat down to have a nice evening and then had to field a barrage of questions, nobody knows why people complain, people complain about alot of things,(ask the mods :hehe:) its not really up to us to judge

Rob! 11-09-2020 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910868)

......?

Kizzy 11-09-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10910831)
I will preface this by saying I don't watch BGT. I think it's pretty much the worst brand of trash, and I actually *like* a lot of trash TV.

However, in general... I'm totally unapologetic in saying that, yes, people need headspace and escapism sometimes. It is healthy or even essential to be able to "switch off" sometimes if you don't want to end up hopping off down the depression/anxiety rabbit hole and I don't think anyone should feel bad for insisting that - as vitally important as many issues are - it's not a case at all of meaningful issues vs frivolous entertainment with the entertainment "obviously" always coming second to current social issues and politics. The balance is important, we're all bombarded with hard-hitting politics all week long and... yeah... if people want to eat some fish fingers and waffles, switch off their brains and watch dumb Saturday night telly without it too being full of political messages then I will fully defend their right to do just that.

Like I said originally I'm aware that there may well be a double standard going on, with people not being bothered about other political messages and suddenly kicking off over this, and that's another discussion BUT on the basic premise of people having the right to NOT always want to engage with politics 24/7, and in fact access to "simple escapism" being an essential aspect of good mental health.

Tosh... nobody is 'bombarded' with anything we aren't tied to a chair and forced to watch thing's. We have a choice to consume as much or as little as we want.
Personally I think that the contemporary issues of the day do at times spill over into 'light' entertainment. .. during such a pivotal moment in history it's almost inevitable.

You can sit there with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears if you want, thankfully the majority of people support the arts and their contribution to societal mood.

I will fully defend an artists right to express their strength of feeling and a broacasters right to air it.
If we don't see these issues from different angles and perspectives that's when it will affect mental health.

Kizzy 11-09-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10910847)
The idea that it's "petty" for people to complain about global political events being brought "into their entertainment time", as though the importance of the latter pales in comparison to the former.

The idea that "simple entertainment time isn't that important" because people should always be ready and willing to listen to political voices "about important things" is a very quick route to poor mental health, generalised anxiety and (ultimately) no one having the mental resources or energy to do anything about anything.

How do you cope when you watch soap operas? That's classed as 'entertainment' too..When there's a particularly harrowing storyline do you book yourself in for counselling?

Ammi 11-09-2020 06:14 AM

‘I think that the contemporary issues of the day do at times spill over into 'light' entertainment‘...as spoken by Kizzy...

...I think that the thing with that as well...is that obviously it’s know with all involved in the show...that there might be a ‘risk’ involved in alienating some viewers as they understand the controversy/opposing views etc of BLM, you know...so they’ve risk assessed and felt the performance was something they wanted on their show and worth the risk because it’s so important and such a powerful way to convey...?...it was all obviously previewed or pre approved as it were...and the final vote was...yes, you’re through, we want this on our light entertainment show...

bitontheslide 11-09-2020 07:03 AM

the reason that ofcom exists it to give people a vehicle to comment if there is something they don't like on the TV. What i find staggering is that people who supposedly want equality want to undermine that vital service and basically force their opinions upon others

joeysteele 11-09-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10910622)
So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints. :shrug:

Absolutely.

I saw nothing to complain about.
Other issues have been presented on BGT in the past.

Dance is entertainment.
It's also an expression of history, the present and the future..
With themes across the board.

The complaints, I would possibly expect to be from those who would be against this expression like this anywhere.
Or in any other way too.
From their own inner prejudices.

Honestly if I was to complain about all I found unacceptable or offensive to my thinking on TV..
I'd never be doing much else.

I saw nothing to complain about, this is just more about the worrying intolerance growing.
Ridiculous.

Elliot 11-09-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10911267)
the reason that ofcom exists it to give people a vehicle to comment if there is something they don't like on the TV. What i find staggering is that people who supposedly want equality want to undermine that vital service and basically force their opinions upon others

There’s a REALLY big difference between saying ‘it’s stupid that people are complaining’ and ‘people shouldn’t be allowed to complain, ofcom shouldn’t exist’

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Exactly

and endorsing a worrying marxist extreme "movement" that want to shut UK prisons and destroy capitalism

so end all jobs in the UK and let all paedophiles out in the street

on a family show is so so wrong

its actually staggering

Cherie 11-09-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

That’s a tolerant society for you :laugh:

Tom4784 11-09-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Ofcom exists to make sure that TV shows abide by regulations, it is not a points of view organisation. You can't complain to Ofcom just because you don't like what you're seeing, it has to breach regulations for the complaint to be anything other than hot air.

You're basically spreading misinformation to have a pop at people you dislike and your comparison is both silly and illogical because of it. Don't try to force a square to fit into a circular hole. Also, no one is saying you can't complain, we are simply expressing our own rights to our opinions on the matter. Freedom of speech works both ways, BOTS.

Denver 11-09-2020 11:39 AM

Only racists complained

Morgan. 11-09-2020 11:44 AM

This thread stinks of privilege

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 11:45 AM

Broadcast complaints | Ofcom

If you are concerned about something you have heard or seen in a radio or TV programme and you would like to make a complaint, please use this form.

We consider every complaint we receive from viewers and listeners. Often, we investigate further. Sometimes, we find broadcasters in breach of our rules.

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/...ardsComplaints