ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BGT receives thousands of Ofcom complains for BLM performance (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369888)

Elliot 09-09-2020 09:32 PM

BGT receives thousands of Ofcom complains for BLM performance

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-routine.html

Britain isn’t a racist country haha

UserSince2005 09-09-2020 09:42 PM

I’d complain about how sweaty he is. Compounding negative stereotypes about us black people.

Marsh. 09-09-2020 09:44 PM

What the hell is there to complain about? :umm2:

LeatherTrumpet 09-09-2020 09:54 PM

Disgusting to see Marxism celebrated for likes
nihilism

Vile

Liam- 09-09-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10910529)
What the hell is there to complain about? :umm2:

Black people doing something

Marsh. 09-09-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910536)
Black people doing something

:omgno:

arista 09-09-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot (Post 10910523)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-routine.html

Britain isn’t a racist country haha

Yes its Wrong to back an Extremist Group.

Swan 09-09-2020 10:34 PM

We aren't the US, as much as some would like to think!

Marsh. 09-09-2020 11:01 PM

The US being a worse example does not mean the UK is fine as much as some would like to think!

bitontheslide 10-09-2020 04:26 AM

people watch a show like BGT for entertainment, not to be lectured to

Smithy 10-09-2020 05:55 AM

Britain’s Got Racists

Ammi 10-09-2020 05:58 AM

...so BLM movement and their supporters, ‘do it the wrong way’...is often the thing said...so they do it another way and that’s ‘the wrong way also..’...so maybe another way, would be the thing...and another, and another etc...until there is a right time and place found to support equality...

...Diversity...:lovedup:...supporting equality for all and providing amazing dance art...

Ammi 10-09-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10910563)
The US being a worse example does not mean the UK is fine as much as some would like to think!

...also, because of the vast size of the USA, in comparison...and its gun laws etc...it can never be used as a benchmark, I feel...it’s more comparing a pea or something to a huge several course meal...

Cherie 10-09-2020 06:05 AM

Powerful performance, not sure it was the right show to perform it due to the adult theme, but I think they would have known that, so the cynic in me feels it was done for publicity for the show

AnnieK 10-09-2020 06:05 AM

So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints. :shrug:

Kizzy 10-09-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10910601)

The choreographer quoted ' My truth, my platform, my art'

NOT 'My lecture'...It's sickening how artists of any kind are expected to rein in any personal self expression for fear of appearing to have an opinion on anything.
And even more sickening that it's suggested that anything remotely thought provoking is unwelcome on a chewing gum fir the brain show like BGT.

Ammi 10-09-2020 06:37 AM

...wasn’t taking a knee in sporting events a ‘wrong time and place’ as well...was there ever a right time of approval to support equality....

Cherie 10-09-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10910636)
...wasn’t taking a knee in sporting events a ‘wrong time and place’ as well...was there ever a right time of approval to support equality....

It’s a bit easier to explain take the knee to a 5 year old than the there is a possibility the police will kill you

Ammi 10-09-2020 06:49 AM

...people watch BGT for different reasons as well, I think...entertainment is obviously a main thing for some but there are also many wow moments ...when performers show their talent in a very powerful way....all art forms have always had that blend of expression through their talent...personally I always prefer for an art/talent to have meaning, rather than ...’we dance because we dance because we are gifted dancers, etc...’...the meaning is what so lifts a performance into its ‘powerful’...

Incredible body painting act stuns the Britain’s Got Talent Judges...

An incredible visual artist used their Britain's Got Talent audition for a powerful message this week.

Simon described the act as "stunning" and said it was "the most original act we've seen this year."

https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/br...nt-judges.html

bitontheslide 10-09-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910625)
The choreographer quoted ' My truth, my platform, my art'

NOT 'My lecture'...It's sickening how artists of any kind are expected to rein in any personal self expression for fear of appearing to have an opinion on anything.
And even more sickening that it's suggested that anything remotely thought provoking is unwelcome on a chewing gum fir the brain show like BGT.

The simple fact is people complained to ofcom, and they did so because they objected to the content. People can politicise things to the extent of the law, but you can't force people either to like it or to watch it. People will make their opinions clear, and in this case, they have

Ammi 10-09-2020 07:17 AM

...I wonder what the percentage of the Ofcom not happy people, with the overall viewing figures...please forgive me/I feel dirty, but I did sneak a peak at the DM comments section...only for a few seconds though because I stopped at the first comment...

‘They are hardly diverse are they when every member is the same colour‘....

..I mean, I would have laughed out loud if it wasn’t so unfunny and dumb as dumb as dumb...

Ammi 10-09-2020 07:19 AM

...if that was in any way representative of an Ofcom complain person.../...then it all makes sense now../... all becomes clear...

bitontheslide 10-09-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10910644)
...if that was in any way representative of an Ofcom complain person.../...then it all makes sense now../... all becomes clear...

people can't be forced into liking something they watch, and while that DM comment is laughable, it's not wrong either. Diversity isn't singular

UserSince2005 10-09-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 10910615)
Britain’s Got Racists

duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh,
duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh dUH,
DUH, DUH, DUH, DUH,
DUH! DUH!
DUH!

Ammi 10-09-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10910645)
people can't be forced into liking something they watch, and while that DM comment is laughable, it's not wrong either. Diversity isn't singular

...equality isn’t singular, bots...but sadly it all too often appears to be...

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10910601)

While I disagree that it was "a lecture" - I actually can appreciate that Saturday Night Telly isn't the best place for political activism. I'm a (huge) believer in the importance of escapism/entertainment immersion and I can fully appreciate why people wouldn't want their "intellectual down-time" (which is all Saturday night reality trash really can be) suddenly infused with the same political statements they hear elsewhere. It's not that it CAN'T be part of it but it's about expectation, I suppose. e.g. in terms of movies - there are many amazing movies with strong political messages that I love. There are also many "popcorn" movies that I see to zone out, and it can be pretty jarring to have overt political statements slipped into popcorn movies. BGT is absolutely a "popcorn movie".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10910622)
So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints. :shrug:

However I can also see Annie's point here - there is a double standard if people are fine with some political soapboxing but draw a line at another variety. IMO the blurred lines are always going to be too complicated for a show like this, and BGT should stick to being purely light entertainment, but if they ARE ok with some campaigning then they have to be OK with all campaigning.

Tom4784 10-09-2020 10:57 AM

Racists with subhuman intelligence getting mad over a dance on a talent show? And they are often the ones that accuse others of being snowflakes.

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 11:01 AM

Jim takes down Diversity and talks about the performance. starts at 1.24

Liam- 10-09-2020 11:02 AM

One day black people will be able to do something meaningful without being told they’re doing it the wrong way or that it’s ‘not the right time or place’ and I can’t wait

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910745)

I don't think Jim Davidson doing a puffy-red-faced racist rant on YouTube is going to win you any arguments LT.

Toy Soldier 10-09-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910747)
One day black people will be able to do something meaningful without being told they’re doing it the wrong way or that it’s ‘not the right time or place’ and I can’t wait

Has anyone ever done anything meaningful on BGT though?

Kizzy 10-09-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10910640)
The simple fact is people complained to ofcom, and they did so because they objected to the content. People can politicise things to the extent of the law, but you can't force people either to like it or to watch it. People will make their opinions clear, and in this case, they have

How can you object to how someone expresses a feeling through interpretive dance?.!

If you don't like it don't watch it ..switch off.

Jake. 10-09-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910745)

Sounds about white

Kizzy 10-09-2020 12:44 PM

Ugh Saturday nights trash gammon tv... that's what people want on a saturday night? That guy was right, the revolution will not be televised :/

Livia 10-09-2020 12:45 PM

He had the freedom to take that piece of Americana on TV at peak time, people have the freedom to complain if they didn't like it.

The Slim Reaper 10-09-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10910622)

Bang on right.

I'm pretty sure that loads of songs written about political issues have been karaoke-murdered by wannabe's on saturday evening TV, without any issues.

Livia 10-09-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10910764)
Has anyone ever done anything meaningful on BGT though?

Question of the thread.

LeatherTrumpet 10-09-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10910791)
How can you object to how someone expresses a feeling through interpretive dance?.!

If you don't like it don't watch it ..switch off.

I think people do not want to sit at home with their children and watch a depiction of a man dying or glorifying a worrying marxist group who want to defund the police

(Last year in the US, 1,536 people were killed by police. In the UK, three people were killed.)

Britain's got Talent

Rob! 10-09-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10910800)
I think people do not want to sit at home with their children and watch a depiction of a man dying or glorifying a worrying marxist group who want to defund the police

(Last year in the US, 1,536 people were killed by police. In the UK, three people were killed.)

Britain's got Talent

Ironically the spacial difference between you and the point is about the distance between the UK and the US.

Ammi 10-09-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10910747)