ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BGT receives thousands of Ofcom complains for BLM performance (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369888)

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 12:04 PM

This was sent to Ashby Banjo

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/09...9780920288.jpg

Ammi 11-09-2020 12:12 PM

...we don’t support equality for you, we just want you to dance for us..not your expression of dance but ours.../...beyond grim...

joeysteele 11-09-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10911389)
Wrong... ofcom is a government approved body that serves to ensure programming reflects it's audience, in effect someone could complain if they didn't think that an issue was being addressed that needed to be.
It's not there just because someone didn't 'like' something.

Nobody is looking to undermine ofcom far from it, I believe the people who complained have abused ofcom and are totally confused as to its regulatory function.

The saddest thing is Kizzy that some people possibly only watch TV to complain against anything they personally may not agree with.

I mean, re ofcom, I never understood why they entertained complaints about BB for instance.
We were warned about the content of the programme as to sexual nature, offensive language etc; before every showing.
The complaints should have been dismissed.

Perhaps BGT ought to have mentioned what the dance routine by Diversity was to include.
Really though, it was a dance routine.

Good grief, there'll be those complaining next at the segment in 'The King and I' film.
Of a King who had slaves being drowned in a dance/ playhouse presentation.

I think there's times, ofcom needs to advise adequate warnings of content were in place.
So complaints are understood but not validated.
Then advise all programmers to announce any possible content that may be deemed possibly of concern to others.

In relation to the millions who watch BGT, a few thousand complaints are what transpires.

Of course anyone should have the right to complain, however that doesn't mean others time needs to be wasted on what I'd suspect is possible routinely maybe even possibly professional complaining.

Kizzy 11-09-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10911394)

Well thanks for that LT it's a prime example of the level of ignorance, arrogance and privilege these men have to deal with constantly. It must be soul destroying to have to filter through comments that read like this every day.

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 12:16 PM

Linda was disappointed :(

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/09...9785260033.jpg

so was Terry

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/09...9396053598.jpg

Ammi 11-09-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10911406)
Well thanks for that LT it's a prime example of the level of ignorance, arrogance and privilege these men have to deal with constantly. It must be soul destroying to have to filter through comments that read like this every day.

...Kizzy expresses it so much more perfectly than I can...

Swan 11-09-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10911394)

How many millions watched? And 10,000 complained. Say 10 million watched that's 0.01% of the viewership. 0.01% of 10 million does not represent the Great British Public!

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 12:24 PM

SImon has been quiet so far?

bitontheslide 11-09-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10911425)

yes, he isn't backing any side

Jack_ 11-09-2020 12:51 PM

If you complain to Ofcom about something you watched on television, you are a loser. A pathetic Karen that should step away from the TV. It was the same when people used to do it for Big Brother and it’s the same now

Only difference this time is, you’re most likely a racist too

Cherie 11-09-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10911425)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10911436)
yes, he isn't backing any side

Head down, delighted with the publicity

Dogeatdog 11-09-2020 01:29 PM

I’ve just watched the performance and I thought it was great, you could tell the performance meant a lot to them and I thought it was very well choreographed and very inspiring. I don’t know what the complaints are all about, if you don’t like it then simply switch the channel over for 5 or so mins is it really that hard to do?

joeysteele 11-09-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 10911454)
If you complain to Ofcom about something you watched on television, you are a loser. A pathetic Karen that should step away from the TV. It was the same when people used to do it for Big Brother and it’s the same now

Good to get a chance to see you post again Jack_

I again agree.

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 02:48 PM

I think calling 10000 people you have never met losers/karens/racists is not such a good thing

Did we not have thread after thread about Meghan Markle where the basis of the argument was "you have never met this women so how can you judge her/hate on her"?

:/

The Slim Reaper 11-09-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10911548)
I think calling 10000 people you have never met losers/karens/racists is not such a good thing

Did we not have thread after thread about Meghan Markle where the basis of the argument was "you have never met this women so how can you judge her/hate on her"?

:/

Ridiculous comparison. No one is saying they know the innermost feelings and motives of every single person, including their friends (as happens in the MM threads). I think people are saying that there is a certain kind of person, with a certain kind of racial and political leanings that would be offended by BLM.

You should argue for the protests and explain why, if that's where you're coming from.

Toy Soldier 11-09-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Hmm. I don't disagree with that to be honest; I don't think anyone "has to" watch anything the don't like the content of but unless it's actually horrendously inappropriate *cough*Cuties*cough* then the answer is to stop watching the show you don't like... not to report it to Ofcom. It is pathetic. If enough BGT fans start disliking the content, then it'll tank like the other Cowell shows, it doesn't need external regulation.

..........the unironic use of the "Karen" slur, though. You can do better than that, surely. Come on. We've entered 2020(b) now, we don't need sad misogynistic 2020(a) memes tagging along with us. It's been a long year, we're having a half-time.

arista 11-09-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

No Slick Jack

Oliver_W 11-09-2020 03:08 PM

Karen and Gammon is just bringing phrenology back tbh

Rob! 11-09-2020 03:20 PM

Genuinely absolutely disgusted at those numbers.

Tom4784 11-09-2020 03:22 PM

Anyone complaining to Ofcom about a TV show for saying black lives matter are racists tbh. It reminds me of something that happened yesterday, an NFL game I believe in which, in lieu of kneeling in protest while the the anthem was sung, athletes engaged in a moment of silence after the the Anthem ended and yet still a loud stadiumwide chorus of boos opposed that silence.

People can say it's not the right platform or not the right way but that's just code for saying 'I don't want to see it' and they'll oppose it no matter what form it takes as long as it's something they are watching. Racism and white privilege.

Swan 11-09-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 10911575)
Genuinely absolutely disgusted at those numbers.

It's a minuscule percentage of the people actually watching, i know it's not really point, but it's important to remember that that small number doesn't represent the general feeling of the GBP.

Tom4784 11-09-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10911557)
Hmm. I don't disagree with that to be honest; I don't think anyone "has to" watch anything the don't like the content of but unless it's actually horrendously inappropriate *cough*Cuties*cough* then the answer is to stop watching the show you don't like... not to report it to Ofcom. It is pathetic. If enough BGT fans start disliking the content, then it'll tank like the other Cowell shows, it doesn't need external regulation.

..........the unironic use of the "Karen" slur, though. You can do better than that, surely. Come on. We've entered 2020(b) now, we don't need sad misogynistic 2020(a) memes tagging along with us. It's been a long year, we're having a half-time.

Karen goes beyond gender tbh, anyone can be a Karen. I've encountered far more men in my life that are pure Karens then I have women.

Toy Soldier 11-09-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10911585)
..the Netflix movie, ‘Cuties’ has no place in this thread, none whatsoever...

It's a thread about Ofcom complaints... although I suppose you're right as Netflix isn't covered by Ofcom. I was using it as a counter-example of something that is outright inappropriate and thus valid to complain about, as opposed to this which is not a valid target for "official complaints".

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 03:27 PM

This scandal could put the Christmas BGT in doubt

Toy Soldier 11-09-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10911590)
Karen goes beyond gender tbh, anyone can be a Karen. I've encountered far more men in my life that are pure Karens then I have women.

As have I and I agree in sentiment, but at this point the term is used too frequently by misogynistic people to make misogynistic statements aimed at women for it to get "a pass". Not really trying to start a debate on it, I just think it's a term that could do with being left behind.

Tom4784 11-09-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10911588)
It's a minuscule percentage of the people actually watching, i know it's not really point, but it's important to remember that that small number doesn't represent the general feeling of the GBP.

It represents the people so enraged that they want to make their voices heard but I think a lot of people who aren't so angered to action would agree with the complaints. I know of a lot of people who find BLM tiresome and don't care about it which is a very privileged position to take.

Oliver_W 11-09-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10911605)
It represents the people so enraged that they want to make their voices heard but I think a lot of people who aren't so angered to action would agree with the complaints. I know of a lot of people who find BLM tiresome and don't care about it which is a very privileged position to take.

There's nothing privileged about disliking riots and destruction. If BLM's protests looked more like ones by Extinction Rebellion, people would have a lot more sympathy for them.

Escalating protests into riots is basically pissing on the graves of the dead they were protesting for.

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 03:42 PM

as is promoting closing all UK prisons (with no plan what to next) defunding our police and getting rid of the NHS and all business in the UK

People are complaining about this terrifying secret organisation and its advert by a misguided dance troup looking for likes

Tom4784 11-09-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10911614)
There's nothing privileged about disliking riots and destruction. If BLM's protests looked more like ones by Extinction Rebellion, people would have a lot more sympathy for them.

Escalating protests into riots is basically pissing on the graves of the dead they were protesting for.

Look to the NFL example I mentioned earlier, racists will oppose any and all forms of protests as long as they are made to witness it. They want black people to be neither seen nor heard.

If you honestly think people oppose the protests because of the destruction wrought by Right Wing infiltrators then you're not paying attention. They'll find a reason to oppose any kind of action that could lead to the problems being sorted.

Swan 11-09-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10911605)

Well you can think that, doesn't mean it's true. Im just saying that over 99% of people didn't complain thus not representing the general GBP. Im just trying to look at the bigger picture.

Oliver_W 11-09-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10911634)
Look to the NFL example I mentioned earlier, racists will oppose any and all forms of protests as long as they are made to witness it. They want black people to be neither seen nor heard.

If you honestly think people oppose the protests because of the destruction wrought by Right Wing infiltrators then you're not paying attention. They'll find a reason to oppose any kind of action that could lead to the problems being sorted.

Firstly there's no proof that all the riots were triggered by the right wing.

Second, any form of protest which associates itself with the BLM movement taints itself by their more extreme actions,

Tom4784 11-09-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10911638)
Well you can think that, doesn't mean it's true. Im just saying that over 99% of people didn't complain thus not representing the general GBP. Im just trying to look at the bigger picture.

But just because people didn't lodge an official complaint doesn't mean that they disagree or agree with the complaints. You can't make a judgement either way.

I can only say from personal experience that I think a lot of people would have agreed with complaints but they probably wouldn't have officially complained beyond posting about it on Facebook.

Tom4784 11-09-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10911655)
Firstly there's no proof that all the riots were triggered by the right wing.

Second, any form of protest which associates itself with the BLM movement taints itself by their more extreme actions,

Cast your mind back to a while ago in that thread when I literally provided you with about 5 or 6 articles in which the police of entirely separate states and jurisdictions all announced that riots in their respective areas were started by Right Wingers and white supremacists. You saw that post and you responded to it so all this post is is wilful ignorance for the sake of presenting BLM in a way that benefits your own agenda.

Oliver_W 11-09-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10911661)
Cast your mind back to a while ago in that thread when I literally provided you with about 5 or 6 articles in which the police of entirely separate states and jurisdictions all announced that riots in their respective areas were started by Right Wingers and white supremacists. You saw that post and you responded to it so all this post is is wilful ignorance for the sake of presenting BLM in a way that benefits your own agenda.

That doesn't mean every single riot was sparked by them.

Do you still have the links? I can't remember what thread they were in.

Tom4784 11-09-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10911667)
That doesn't mean every single riot was sparked by them.

Do you still have the links? I can't remember what thread they were in.

But it's enough to see a pattern, and no, you'll have to do your own research. I'm not bending over backwards again to have you just dismiss stuff you don't want to acknowledge.

Swan 11-09-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10911657)
But just because people didn't lodge an official complaint doesn't mean that they disagree or agree with the complaints. You can't make a judgement either way.

I can only say from personal experience that I think a lot of people would have agreed with complaints but they probably wouldn't have officially complained beyond posting about it on Facebook.

I guess it depends where you live/the people you know (the royal you). Where i live and the people i know, it's not been an issue. For example, i asked my mum if she watched, she said 'yes', i said 'have you heard about some people complaining', she said 'no, why did they complain' - which imo was the correct response.

I feel the same way, i don't see why anyone would complain, everyone should be allowed to express themselves (which i guess on the other side of the 'argument' you could say 'well people should also be allowed to voice their concerns', but that's a can of worms i do not wish to open).

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 04:35 PM

...With Ofcom still deciding whether to investigate the complaints, the furore looks set to rage on. As it does, it will be up to ITV to consider whether “BGT Does BLM” was a risk worth taking. It isn’t unthinkable that the broadcaster will conclude the opposite – that the performance has ultimately done more harm than good.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/itv...shed-britains/

Elliot 11-09-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10911557)

I don’t think it’s fair to rebrand Karen as a slur.. the way I understand the phase is it’s used to call out and ascribe a certain type of entitled ‘I wish to speak to the manager’ mindset. The Karen subreddit is devoted to more extreme versions of this that mostly extend to anti vaxxers, anti maskers, racists, people who are extremely abusive to customer service and staff, and most of the most upvoted posts are men exhibiting this sort of behaviour..

For example I think this is a great example of ‘Karens’ going out of their way to complain about people speaking out against racism.

LeatherTrumpet 11-09-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot (Post 10911725)
I don’t think it’s fair to rebrand Karen as a slur.. the way I understand the phase is it’s used to call out and ascribe a certain type of entitled ‘I wish to speak to the manager’ mindset. The Karen subreddit is devoted to more extreme versions of this that mostly extend to anti vaxxers, anti maskers, racists, people who are extremely abusive to customer service and staff, and most of the most upvoted posts are men exhibiting this sort of behaviour..

For example I think this is a great example of ‘Karens’ going out of their way to complain about people speaking out against racism.

The individual complaints and what they are as they have not been published - i dont think they ever are

All we know is that a number of people have contacted offcom

id imagine they cover a wide range of subjects about the ill-judged performance

bitontheslide 11-09-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10911720)
...With Ofcom still deciding whether to investigate the complaints, the furore looks set to rage on. As it does, it will be up to ITV to consider whether “BGT Does BLM” was a risk worth taking. It isn’t unthinkable that the broadcaster will conclude the opposite – that the performance has ultimately done more harm than good.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/itv...shed-britains/

itv will only care if their viewer figures go down as a result or advertisers jump ship and I would think both are highly unlikely, Ofcom won't do anything ... that's a given