ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Is ZOE BALL'S breakfast show on R2 worh her £1,360,000 salary|? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370056)

LeatherTrumpet 15-09-2020 05:05 PM

Is ZOE BALL'S breakfast show on R2 worh her £1,360,000 salary|?

£113,000 a month for that pish?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...W-v2.jpg?w=620

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/126720...se-gender-gap/

Shaun 15-09-2020 05:09 PM

I find her annoying to be honest, but then I think Chris Evans was too.

Staggered by Vanessa Feltz getting that much for a 4-6:30am slot :umm2: and no idea who Stephen Nolan even is. Of the Radio 2 staff, Ken Bruce deserves to be on there

Cherie 15-09-2020 05:11 PM

She should be ashamed to take that fee and Gary

LeatherTrumpet 15-09-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10914696)

Staggered by Vanessa Feltz getting that much for a 4-6:30am slot :umm2: and no idea who Stephen Nolan even is. Of the Radio 2 staff, Ken Bruce deserves to be on there

agree but i would add steve Wright

Swan 15-09-2020 05:13 PM

Wonder how many over 75's must be listening to Zoe Ball on R2. How else is a raise that big justified?!

bitontheslide 15-09-2020 05:15 PM

they are worth what employers are prepared to pay. It isn't a measure of her competence

MTVN 15-09-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10914696)

Nolan does 5 Live on weekend nights 10pm-1am and he has a daily show on BBC Radio Ulster I think. It is a lot for that slot but he's been there for years and his show is pretty successful I think

Swan 15-09-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10914702)
they are worth what employers are prepared to pay. It isn't a measure of her competence

As in the paying GBP?

arista 15-09-2020 05:20 PM

NO

GiRTh 15-09-2020 05:24 PM

Way over paid, all of them. The only one who I think is justified is Graham Norton. Simply due to his show being wordwide but I think his production company still owns the show so his total is probably the highest of them all. Newsreaders are not worth 1/2 a millon, sorry and how is lauren Lavern on so much. I like her but she's hardly a fixture at the BBC.

UserSince2005 15-09-2020 05:32 PM

Gary would get the same or more switching to Sky.
Not sure Zoe would get half.
That's the difference.

Shaun 15-09-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10914699)
agree but i would add steve Wright

Oh I only meant of the staff not on the list, yeah Steve Wright deserves it too

Cherie 15-09-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserSince2005 (Post 10914713)
Gary would get the same or more switching to Sky.
Not sure Zoe would get half.
That's the difference.

Thats fine, people choose to pay for Sky, the BBC should be answerable to the tax payer

UserSince2005 15-09-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10914720)
Thats fine, people choose to pay for Sky, the BBC should be answerable to the tax payer

Its the market rate.
Either they have 2nd rate presenters or they pay to keep their best talent.

Cal. 15-09-2020 06:04 PM

8 million listeners so I’d assume so

Denver 15-09-2020 06:06 PM

Well underpayed

Oliver_W 15-09-2020 07:00 PM

If she brings in the listeners then of course she's worth it.

Jack_ 15-09-2020 07:07 PM

Evans was on £2.2m at its peak, and when Zoe took over there was a lot of discussion about how her salary would compare to his. Honestly, I think if she’d been on anything less than a million there’d have just as equally been a lot of complaints about the gender pay gap again. If you pay someone a salary of that magnitude in the first place, you kind of set a precedent going forward unfortunately. And I think that’s fair enough tbh (I don’t care for either of them, btw)

There’s a bigger factor at play here though. As fascinating as these yearly lists may be, they are only duty bound to report them because the government has been hellbent on increasing the “this is tax payers money!!!” sentiment. If they remained private, would any of these discussions even be happening? Would the agents of BBC talent be comparing like for like with people’s predecessors or colleagues when negotiating fees? There’s a certain irony in that these lists, if anything, are actually compounding the “problem” people have with the amount of money being paid out

parmnion 15-09-2020 08:02 PM

Hush money probably.

To cover up something well dodgy.

MTVN 15-09-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 10914776)
Evans was on £2.2m at its peak, and when Zoe took over there was a lot of discussion about how her salary would compare to his. Honestly, I think if she’d been on anything less than a million there’d have just as equally been a lot of complaints about the gender pay gap again. If you pay someone a salary of that magnitude in the first place, you kind of set a precedent going forward unfortunately. And I think that’s fair enough tbh (I don’t care for either of them, btw)

There’s a bigger factor at play here though. As fascinating as these yearly lists may be, they are only duty bound to report them because the government has been hellbent on increasing the “this is tax payers money!!!” sentiment. If they remained private, would any of these discussions even be happening? Would the agents of BBC talent be comparing like for like with people’s predecessors or colleagues when negotiating fees? There’s a certain irony in that these lists, if anything, are actually compounding the “problem” people have with the amount of money being paid out

First point is kinda true but Chris Evans built up his salary and his show over a number of years and since he's left they've lost loads of listeners

I do actually like Zoe and don't begrudge her that salary too much because it's the biggest show on radio but I don't think she should automatically match what Evans got paid

Strictly Jake 15-09-2020 08:45 PM

Weird no radio 1 presenters are on there. I thought scott mills or greg james might earn a mint?

Oliver_W 15-09-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strictly Jake (Post 10914817)
Weird no radio 1 presenters are on there. I thought scott mills or greg james might earn a mint?

While interesting they're not all only radio people, Fiona Bruce is on everything lol

At a rough guess I'd say the R1 folks aren't doing much else for the BBC, and they're all younger than the R2 bunch (on average) so haven't had as much time to build their bbc salary.

Jack_ 15-09-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10914811)
First point is kinda true but Chris Evans built up his salary and his show over a number of years and since he's left they've lost loads of listeners

I do actually like Zoe and don't begrudge her that salary too much because it's the biggest show on radio but I don't think she should automatically match what Evans got paid

That’s why I said at its peak. My point was not “her salary should match that of Evans”, more that in making these salaries public, it has created a culture in which agents have a benchmark figure from which to negotiate for their clients, and they can cite the gender pay gap to boot. Also I think it’s worth noting this salary was probably contracted before her first RAJARs were even posted

There’s basically now a very public price on Radio 2 Breakfast, and you could argue it’s set a precedent for every future host of the show. If the figures were still private, we’d all (including BBC talent) be none the wiser, and post-Evans (who could command that kind of salary in the commercial radio marketplace), the fee might not’ve been so high. I think there’s a certain irony to that

Anyway, I’m not a Radio 2 listener yet but I was actually talking to someone in the industry about a week ago and they think she’ll be gone within 18 months with Coxy moved to breakfast, and *maybe* Scott Mills on drive. Interesting times ahead!

joeysteele 15-09-2020 09:09 PM

I don't really think any of them are worth the salaries they're on.

Jack_ 15-09-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strictly Jake (Post 10914817)

They’re on the list, just not in many of the press articles oddly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54160658

Scott’s on £345k, Greg £275k