ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370249)

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:31 PM

Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

The first time it happened to me was absolutely terrifying. Thankfully it's not occurred in a while and when it does, I am able to get myself out of it pretty quickly.

It's not nice though :worry:

LaLaLand 22-09-2020 11:34 PM

Never. Just usual nightmares for me, few and far between like.

I’m not sure what it is exactly actually - what happened?

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLand (Post 10919230)
Never. Just usual nightmares for me, few and far between like.

I’m not sure what it is exactly actually - what happened?

Basically, you are conscious but unable to move or speak and are sort of inbetween being awake and being asleep. On top of that, you often feel like there's something on top of you or a presence surrounding you.

That's how I'd describe it for me, but obviously it will differ for each person.

Cal. 22-09-2020 11:43 PM

Yes. Most terrifying thing ever.

Every single time a man has been stood over me and I've been unable to move or speak.

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Yes - more than once
Babayaro., Cal.

Dare we bring up the Christmas Ball of '09...?

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 10919233)

Every single time a man has been stood over me and I've been unable to move or speak.

Rob has gone TOO far this time

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:46 PM

I just know I've ****ing jinxed it for myself and some demon is gonna spoon me tonight

Kate! 22-09-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babayaro. (Post 10919232)
Basically, you are conscious but unable to move or speak and are sort of inbetween being awake and being asleep. On top of that, you often feel like there's something on top of you or a presence surrounding you.

That's how I'd describe it for me, but obviously it will differ for each person.

Thats exactly word for word how it felt. Its happened to me a few times and it was bloody scary. Felt like I was pinned to the bed by something heavy. My heart was beating fast and I just couldn't move. The feeling of relief afterwards is immense.

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate! (Post 10919239)
Thats exactly word for word how it felt. Its happened to me a few times and it was bloody scary. Felt like I was pinned to the bed by something heavy. My heart was beating fast and I just couldn't move. The feeling of relief afterwards is immense.

I find wriggling my toes helps me break the 'spell' :laugh:

arista 22-09-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 10919233)

Thats the Rape Drug

Babayaro. 22-09-2020 11:56 PM

:skull:

Kate! 23-09-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babayaro. (Post 10919237)
Rob has gone TOO far this time

Screaming.

Marc you are hilariously funny.

Ramsay 23-09-2020 12:22 AM

Absolutely brutal

caprimint 23-09-2020 02:46 AM

No but it sounds really scary

Josy 23-09-2020 05:13 AM

Yes I suffer from it a lot it's horrible

Some people claim a weighted anxiety blanket helps but for me that sounds horrific.

Josy 23-09-2020 05:14 AM

I'll probably get it soon now too after reading this thread you bloody jinx

Ammi 23-09-2020 05:17 AM

...yeah I have, Babs...it is really terrifying to feel so scared but not be able to move/speak../...express the terror in any way...I haven’t for quite some time though I have to say...

...as with Cal..(..although I’ve never actually seen anyone, like a man..)...I’ve been aware of someone ‘standing over me..’...I’m aware of their breathing and just their ominous presence but it’s never been a ‘visual’ thing ...I just need to know that I have to move, that I can’t stay ‘frozen’...so for me..?...when it happened, I would physically force myself to move by rolling and rolling myself off the bed...so falling on the floor would make me wake up...it’s horrid...it was so difficult getting to the floor and away from the ‘presence’ that was with me...

AnnieK 23-09-2020 05:29 AM

I have...its awful. I don't feel a presence I just can't move. The first time it happened it seemed to last for ages but once I knew what it was I can now get out of it easier. Its not happened for a long time now thankfully.

Cherie 23-09-2020 06:20 AM

Is there a reason for it? Sounds horrific

AnnieK 23-09-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10919294)
Is there a reason for it? Sounds horrific

Its a form of anxiety my doctor said.

Cherie 23-09-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10919296)

That makes sense Annie

Ammi 23-09-2020 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10919296)

...I do feel that it’s a form of ‘letting anxiety out’ as well, Annie../..releasing it...?...we often become more ‘solvers’ as we get older, so we understand how to work through anxieties, how to break them down and dissolve them..?...but not always so much when we’re younger ...those anxiety monster layers can build and build and need a way to release...the weight of our bodies in sleep paralysis type dreams, being the weight of our anxieties as the layers build...?...

Strictly Jake 23-09-2020 06:49 AM

Not like that no. But I can be in between sleep and being awake so I can see everything in the room but dreaming at the same time, so I have seen things that I thought were coming to get me like massive spiders, rats, ghosts, randomly a weasel the other day, or someone I know. But it feels so real as I can still see the room. I jump out of bed in fright and go to turn the light on and to warn my wife and look around the room many times before I properly wake up and realise that nothing is there and its really annoying for my wife!

Jordan. 23-09-2020 07:19 AM

Yeah I had a period a few years ago when it was happening quite regularly. Same as Annie I never experienced any sort of presence though it was always just the being unable to move & i'd get loud ringing in both ears.

Kazanne 23-09-2020 08:40 AM

Yes,just once,very weird experience.