ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Iman Vellani cast as Ms Marvel. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370680)

LukeB 04-10-2020 07:31 PM

Iman Vellani cast as Ms Marvel.

https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-bosslo...i-kamala-khan/

LukeB 04-10-2020 07:34 PM

If a mod sees this can you move this to TV chat please because I forgot this was for a disney+ show.

Barry. 04-10-2020 08:01 PM

I knew this as she gave Captain Marvel a bad review or something

Oliver_W 04-10-2020 08:05 PM

Cool. I don't really know much about Ms Marvel, from what I gather she's basically Peter Parker but with Stretch Armstrong powers?

Shaun 04-10-2020 08:08 PM

super a****innoyin' in the game (or at least the beta i played)

LukeB 05-10-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry. (Post 10928707)
I knew this as she gave Captain Marvel a bad review or something

Underrated film

Toy Soldier 05-10-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10928719)
super a****innoyin' in the game (or at least the beta i played)

She's not that bad as a character. Not great but not unbearable, got less annoying as it went on. Her powers/moveset isn't much fun but that's maybe a personal preference thing I dunno. She's a bit slow and ... erm ... "flailing" and I was maining Black Widow (speedy speedy fast paced combat).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10928713)
Peter Parker but with Stretch Armstrong powers?

...I can see the similarities in the characters, yes. And "Stretch Armstrong" is pretty accurate. She has the exact same abilities as Mr Fantastic from Fantastic Four as far as I could tell?

Tom4784 05-10-2020 03:07 PM

It's difficult to say whether it's a good choice or not since she's an unknown but I like the character and I hope they do her justice in screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10929160)
Underrated film

One of my least favourite Marvel films, tbh. It just felt dated as hell (and not because it was set in the 90's), and the script was painful (I always cringe when I think about the 'cockpit' line). Few male writers can write feminism well without it feeling like pandering and that film felt like it pandered too much. Of course, this is me speaking as a man so take it how you will. I hope the sequel gets a female writer and director.

Toy Soldier 05-10-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10929169)
One of my least favourite Marvel films, tbh. It just felt dated as hell (and not because it was set in the 90's), and the script was painful (I always cringe when I think about the 'cockpit' line). Few male writers can write feminism well without it feeling like pandering and that film felt like it pandered too much. Of course, this is me speaking as a man so take it how you will. I hope the sequel gets a female writer and director.

In terms of it feeling dated, I think the issue there was that it felt like a Phase 1 "origin movie" when the MCU was long past that. That said, I think it measures up well enough in comparison to those origin movies... just placed weirdly in the overall series because we didn't "know" her and the MCU was so established. It felt MUCH more organic with Spider-man and Black Panther being given a soft introduction in Civil War before their first solo. I think giving Capt. Marvel a larger intro in Infinity War/Endgame before her solo backstory might have been a better choice.

Oliver_W 05-10-2020 03:36 PM

A lot of the "non event" MCU movies just wash over me a bit. Like, they're all good, but not all memorable. The two Guardians of the Galaxy films and Thor 3 are the only ones that really stand out, the rest feel really cookie-cutter.

DouglasS 05-10-2020 03:55 PM

I feel like no one will want to watch this movie

Tom4784 05-10-2020 08:33 PM

I'm sure the racists will probably give it a miss.

Toy Soldier 05-10-2020 08:34 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a Disney+ series, not a movie?

LukeB 05-10-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10929493)

Yeah it's a disney+ series and it's MCU so it will do well

Tom4784 05-10-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10929493)

Both Kamala and She-Hulk will eventually appear in the films though. I can see Kamala turning up in Captain Marvel 2.

Oliver_W 05-10-2020 08:59 PM

Are Ms and Captain Marvel connected at all in the comics? I could swear Ms Marvel was Jean Grey's original hero name?

Tom4784 05-10-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10929513)
Are Ms and Captain Marvel connected at all in the comics? I could swear Ms Marvel was Jean Grey's original hero name?

Captain Marvel (Carole Danvers, that is) was originally called Ms. Marvel and she was the sidekick/spinoff character to the original Captain Marvel who was a male character. The original Marvel was pretty unpopular though while Ms. Marvel had a following so they gave her the Captain Marvel and the Ms. Marvel mantle went unused until Kamala Khan was created. Captain Marvel is basically her idol and they've interacted a fair bit in comics, I believe.

Jean's original hero name was Marvel Girl, close though.

Oliver_W 05-10-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10929519)
Captain Marvel (Carole Danvers, that is) was originally called Ms. Marvel and she was the sidekick/spinoff character to the original Captain Marvel who was a male character. The original Marvel was pretty unpopular though while Ms. Marvel had a following so they gave her the Captain Marvel and the Ms. Marvel mantle went unused until Kamala Khan was created. Captain Marvel is basically her idol and they've interacted a fair bit in comics, I believe.

Oh cool :) To me Captain Marvel is Shazaam :laugh:

Quote:

Jean's original hero name was Marvel Girl, close though.
oops :hehe:

Barry. 05-10-2020 09:49 PM

I can’t wait for the tv shows

Nicky91 12-06-2022 04:29 PM

first episode is on Disney+ as of last wednesday

i'm going to watch that ep tonight, very perched for this, hyped up apparently as a crucial new superhero for Marvel's Phase 4

Nicky91 13-06-2022 07:32 AM

whew, great first episode

Spoiler:

definitely feels very refreshing, great acting work as well, love Matt Lintz in this too (Henry from The Walking Dead)

loved Abbu's (Kamala's dad) dress up as Hulk :laugh:

AvengerCon, so she intended to dress up as Captain Marvel with a invention by Matt's character Bruno, but she forgot those gloves in the bathroom, apparently her powers are connected through her family bracelet

mid credits scene, for next episode - some agents have noticed her via surveillance camera footage and they want to bring her in to recruit her i guess

Nicky91 14-06-2022 01:27 PM

Spoiler:

episode 2 promo

Nicky91 16-06-2022 07:13 AM

episode 2

Spoiler:

seems like there is a curse with her bracelet (somehow connected to her greatgrandmother Aisha), and she is seeing hallucinations of some woman, and at the end of the episode when she got into Kamran's car, he introduces her to his mom and she looks exactly like the figure in her hallucinations

seems like the agents are Damage Control, and one of them is who we saw in spiderman: no way home

what we also saw in this ep, Kamala training her powers with help from Bruno, and Nakia running for the Mosque council

Nicky91 23-06-2022 07:34 AM

episode 3

Spoiler:

so revealed that Kamran's family are lost in time after having been exiled, Aisha was missing the moment when she and Kamran's mom went separate ways in the temple

the Damage Control agents raided the wedding ceremony of Aamir & Tyesha looking for Light Girl/Kamala (also a bit racist to go accusing a mosque of hiding a superhero when they only know what colour and probably know what religion she is from :laugh:)

near the end of the ep, Kamala's best friend Nakia whom got into mosque council after winning the election, found out about Kamala's superpowers

and her Nani called and said Kamala had to immediately come to Karachi, after also having seen same vision about a train

this is sooooo enjoyable :love: also the bits of bhangra dancing :clap1: for a introduction series to go into Phase 4, pretty well made, lots of backstories all in all for each character close to Kamala

already hyped for next week's episode 4

Nicky91 30-06-2022 08:17 AM

episode 4

Spoiler:

lots of other MCU related easter eggs in this (bit of a X-Men reference and also a mention of Thor)

it seems the Clandestines/Djinns are from another dimension, another part of the multiverse i'm certain of that now

Kamala got to meet another group who call themselves Red Daggers

it ended with Kamala's bracelet being hit by a spear, and suddenly she found herself back in time during the time of the partition in Karachi

all in all, very great episode once again, very cool chase scenes too

more conversations between Kamala and her Nani

:love: :love: Iman is a talented actress btw, has to be said