ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Laurence Fox to be sued by Drag Race star and charity boss over 'paedophile' comments (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370760)

Ammi 07-10-2020 06:21 PM

Laurence Fox to be sued by Drag Race star and charity boss over 'paedophile' comments

Drag star Crystal and Simon Blake, deputy chair of the Stonewall charity, both say they are suing actor Laurence Fox....

A RuPaul's Drag Race star and a charity boss have said they are suing actor Laurence Fox for defamation following arguments on Twitter in which he called some of his critics "paedophiles".

Fox has since deleted the tweets, but said he made the comments after being "falsely smeared as a racist" when he criticised Sainsbury's for supporting Black History Month.

Drag star Crystal and Simon Blake, the deputy chair of Stonewall and chief executive of Mental Health First Aid England, have both said they are suing Fox.

In a statement posted on social media, Crystal said: "I will not stand for racism when I see it, and I will not stand for homophobic defamation when it is directed at me.

"An accusation of paedophilia is one of the oldest homophobic tropes, and it was very shocking to have that levelled at me, not just by Mr Fox, but also his many followers who believed him.

"I may have had to endure homophobic bullying as a child, but I will not tolerate it as an adult."

Crystal said the firm Patron Law had been instructed to take the case on.

https://news.sky.com/story/laurence-...ments-12098310

Ammi 07-10-2020 06:24 PM

...I’m sure that I read as well that he was once banned from releasing a ‘Me Too‘ song that mocked the #metoo movement....

....he’s the full package it would seem...all ‘ists’ present and correct...

Liam- 07-10-2020 06:26 PM

Hope he loses his house x

arista 07-10-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10930444)
Hope he loses his house x

He only said it
as he was called a Racist.
So he can counter sue

Mitchell 07-10-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10930445)
He only said it
as he was called a Racist.
So he can counter sue

He was called racist after saying he wouldn’t shop at Sainsbury’s, after Sainsbury’s told racists not to shop there, sooooo...

arista 07-10-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell (Post 10930447)
He was called racist after saying he wouldn’t shop at Sainsbury’s, after Sainsbury’s told racists not to shop there, sooooo...

Its more complex than that

Ammi 07-10-2020 06:36 PM

...it’s not complex for Laurence Fox, he does tend to simply racism as not really existing much in his world...

arista 07-10-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10930455)
...it’s not complex for Laurence Fox, he does tend to simply racism as not really existing much in his world...

Rubbish

Jack_ 07-10-2020 06:44 PM

Hope they take him to the cleaners

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...NC_400x400.jpg

Denver 07-10-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10930459)
Rubbish

Yes the obligatory i took a pic with a black man so I'm not racist defence

Mitchell 07-10-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10930459)
Rubbish

Social distancing please Laurence

Swan 07-10-2020 06:49 PM

If they sue, and are successful, everyone and their mother will be suing for defamation of character after receiving insults on twitter. I don't see this going anywhere for that very reason alone tbh.

Ammi 07-10-2020 06:53 PM

....hmmmmm, but if that was flipped around...surely it would leave open for anyone to be able to hate and abuse on Twitter etc...and leave no opening for a lawsuit, which there has to be for libel of any kind...

Liam- 07-10-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10930465)
If they sue, and are successful, everyone and their mother will be suing for defamation of character after receiving insults on twitter. I don't see this going anywhere for that very reason alone tbh.

Falsely accusing someone of a crime publicly, is a tad bit different to an insult

Swan 07-10-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10930466)
....hmmmmm, but if that was flipped around...surely it would leave open for anyone to be able to hate and abuse on Twitter etc...and leave no opening for a lawsuit, which there has to be for libel of any kind...

True, but it's up to twitter to ban any hate speech and/or false accusations. I don't know the guy so im not defending him, im just saying i think it'll be very hard for anyone to sue over something said on social media and be successful.

Swan 07-10-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10930467)
Falsely accusing someone of a crime publicly, is a tad bit different to an insult

I know, but it's twitter, im sure that sort of thing happens thousands of times a day. Doesn't make it right, granted. If everyone accused on twitter of a crime they didn't commit sued, our legal system would collapse! And the backlog of cases would run into years and years. It's just not feasible imo.

bitontheslide 07-10-2020 07:02 PM

it's not up to twitter because the law is different in many different countries. People have been arrested for writing on twitter in the past, but obviously it depends on the content posted

Ammi 07-10-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10930468)
True, but it's up to twitter to ban any hate speech and/or false accusations. I don't know the guy so im not defending him, im just saying i think it'll be very hard for anyone to sue over something said on social media and be successful.

...as Liam said though, it’s a false accusation...so effectively libel...which is not a ‘typical’ social media, type hateful/phobic abuse...it would really send out an awful message imo, if it isn’t something that’s addressed immediately because of the amount of abuse and hate on social media...which as it seems, is already escalating into libellous comments...

Liam- 07-10-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10930469)
I know, but it's twitter, im sure that sort of thing happens thousands of times a day. Doesn't make it right, granted. If everyone accused on twitter of a crime they didn't commit sued, our legal system would collapse! And the backlog of cases would run into years and years. It's just not feasible imo.

Defamation cases are civil suits, it’s got nothing to do with the police or the usual legal systems

Swan 07-10-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10930472)
...as Liam said though, it’s a false accusation...so effectively libel...which is not a ‘typical’ social media, type hateful/phobic abuse...it would really send out an awful message imo, if it isn’t something that’s addressed immediately because of the amount of abuse and hate on social media...which as it seems, is already escalating into libellous comments...

Is there a case of something similar happening, ie suing someone for libel comments made on twitter (im generally interested, not being funny)?

Like i said in my previous post, i just can't see how it'll be feasible.

Ammi 07-10-2020 07:08 PM

...again, I wonder if it was flipped and it was Laurence who was inferred as a paedophile...

Swan 07-10-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10930473)
Defamation cases are civil suits, it’s got nothing to do with the police or the usual legal systems

Good luck to them then. I still don't think they'll be successful.

Liam- 07-10-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10930474)
Is there a case of something similar happening, ie suing someone for libel comments made on twitter (im generally interested, not being funny)?

Katie Hopkins was bankrupted in a defamation suit for falsely accusing someone of a crime

Ammi 07-10-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10930474)

Recent events have made it clear that a false and defamatory statement posted on Twitter or in a blog is not immune from legal action. If a tweet or blog post is defamatory, untrue and cannot be defended, the maker of the statement can be liable for defamation and for substantial damages.

https://www.taylorwessing.com/downlo...ial_media.html

...there are lots more articles, Swan ...but that one was the top of the page when I googled...

...I mean, it just make sense to me that Twitter can’t give ‘immunity’ to lawsuit...

Swan 07-10-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10930477)
Katie Hopkins was bankrupted in a defamation suit for falsely accusing someone of a crime

Good.

On twitter?