ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dominic Cummings has Council Tax bill of up to 50k wiped (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370931)

Smithy 15-10-2020 01:42 PM

Dominic Cummings has Council Tax bill of up to 50k wiped

Quote:

Dominic Cummings and his family are liable for council tax on two properties built at his family’s farm in the northeast of England, but backdated charges that reportedly could have amounted to tens of thousands of pounds will not apply.

Officials have concluded that charges for the buildings, on the outskirts of Durham, should start from this month rather than from when both properties were built, without planning permission.
Full story: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...505.html%3famp

Another one rule for them... one rule for us :bored:

Tom4784 15-10-2020 01:46 PM

Dominic Cummings can do as he pleases, Tory voters and their party can only bow to his demands, it seems.

Cherie 15-10-2020 01:57 PM

Thought Councils were cash strapped, how will they explain that to their residents when some service or other is cut.

Swan 15-10-2020 02:17 PM

More politician privilege then.

parmnion 15-10-2020 02:22 PM

Only one of the properties is his, so why is he being accused of the 50g total for the 2 houses?

Liam- 15-10-2020 02:28 PM

Oh the benefits of having the Prime Minister in your pocket

Cherie 15-10-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10934195)
Oh the benefits of having the Prime Minister in your pocket

It’s a Labour council, council tax is collected by the individual councils not Westminster

70 Labour councillors
15 Liberal Democrat councillors
12 Independent councillors
10 Conservative councillors
7 Derwentside Independent councillors
4 Spennymoor Independent People Before Politics councillors
3 The North East Party councillors
4 other councillors
1 Labour and Co-operative councillor

arista 15-10-2020 02:34 PM

https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/E6B5/prod...95_star-nc.png

Liam- 15-10-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10934197)
It’s a Labour council, council tax is collected by the individual councils not Westminster

70 Labour councillors
15 Liberal Democrat councillors
12 Independent councillors
10 Conservative councillors
7 Derwentside Independent councillors
4 Spennymoor Independent People Before Politics councillors
3 The North East Party councillors
4 other councillors
1 Labour and Co-operative councillor

And you think Westminster would have no sway with their enforcement?

Cherie 15-10-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10934200)
And you think Westminster would have no sway with their enforcement?

In a Labour run Council ...no :joker:

Whats happening in Wales now? throwing up a border ...where is the Westminster sway :whistle:

Liam- 15-10-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10934202)
In a Labour run Council ...no :joker:

Whats happening in Wales now? throwing up a border ...where is the Westminster sway :whistle:

Westminster can’t stop us from creating our own rules, that’s the beauty of a devolved government, they are very angry though, ironically it’s the Brexiteer folks that are the maddest that we’re stopping people coming in, beautiful irony

Cherie 15-10-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10934206)
Westminster can’t stop us from creating our own rules, that’s the beauty of a devolved government, they are very angry though, ironically it’s the Brexiteer folks that are the maddest that we’re stopping people coming in, beautiful irony

So why on earth do you think Westminster can get involved in a Labour run council who are responsible for their own budget?

Swan 15-10-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10934206)

Generally interested if you have proof of this, or you're just guessing/assuming?

Liam- 15-10-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10934209)
So why on earth do you think Westminster can get involved in a Labour run council who are responsible for their own budget?

Because it’s England and Boris and his people have the ultimate power there, they can do whatever they want and we all know it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 10934212)
Generally interested if you have proof of this, or you're just guessing/assuming?

Moggy called it ‘unconstitutional’ today, he’s very angry at the prospect of a temporary, theoretical border to try and help keep our own people safe, while he as at the helm of a movement that is now going to put a border in Kent

reece(: 15-10-2020 03:22 PM

The councils are powerless to Westminster, as seen from

joeysteele 15-10-2020 03:22 PM

Westminster Governments can tell English Councils what to do.
Obviously, the devolvement of power is a long way behind the other Nations of the UK.

I can't myself see a Labour council bending over backwards to assist Dominic Cummings.
That just doesn't make sense.

One thing's sure, under any council, if I built something with no planning permission, I'd be more than likely ORDERED to take it down.
With all the ensuing costs to myself too.

Cherie 15-10-2020 03:28 PM

Cant believe 70 Labour councillers would bow to Westminster either especially as they are responsible for their own budget

Cherie 15-10-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reece(: (Post 10934224)
The councils are powerless to Westminster, as seen from

What has this got to do with Durham council? The health of the nation lies in Westminsters hands as does furlough

reece(: 15-10-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10934227)
What has this got to do with Durham council? The health of the nation lies in Westminsters hands as does furlough

No council has more power over another, that's the point. And they are at the hands of the government.

reece(: 15-10-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 10934225)
Westminster Governments can tell English Councils what to do.
Obviously, the devolvement of power is a long way behind the other Nations of the UK.

I can't myself see a Labour council bending over backwards to assist Dominic Cummings.
That just doesn't make sense.

One thing's sure, under any council, if I built something with no planning permission, I'd be more than likely ORDERED to take it down.
With all the ensuing costs to myself too.

It's nonsensical, just people trying to dig deep to point score in unprecedented times.

joeysteele 15-10-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reece(: (Post 10934231)
It's nonsensical, just people trying to dig deep to point score in unprecedented times.

It absolutely is nonsensical reece.
I agree.

bitontheslide 15-10-2020 03:37 PM

it's no coincidence that this story appears when labour councils are trying to play politics in local government ... just saying

Cherie 15-10-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reece(: (Post 10934229)
No council has more power over another, that's the point. And they are at the hands of the government.

Passive aggressive much, if you mean me, come right out and say so

I stand by my comments, councils are responsible for their own budgets and their residents of all political persuasions should be questioning this decision and who sanctioned it

Liam- 15-10-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10934236)
Passive aggressive much, if you mean me, come right out and say so

I stand by my comments, councils are responsible for their own budgets and their residents of all political persuasions should be questioning this decision and who sanctioned it

But the people in control of the country have the final say, it’s not hard to believe that Dom, with his power and connections had a word with Boris and got it cleared for him

UserSince2005 15-10-2020 03:59 PM

Anyone who thinks someone should have to pay £50k in council tax is clearly vindictively against that person.

Leave the bugger alone.

50k in council tax for any length of time is not reasonable.