ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Book recommendations (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371063)

LukeB 21-10-2020 07:52 PM

Book recommendations

Any good books you recommend? I'm into horror/thriller stuff and fantasy novels

I've read all of the harry potter books

parmnion 21-10-2020 07:55 PM

Ian rankins rebus collection will last you about a month once you start

Oliver_W 21-10-2020 08:28 PM

I'd always recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld books for fantasy! Especially ones with Granny Weatherwax and the other witches <3

Toy Soldier 21-10-2020 08:30 PM

If you're looking for relatively easy reads I recommend:

The Stand - Stephen King. Very long, epic in scope, but actually a very casual read so it reads "quickly".

The Beach - Alex Garland. 10x better than the crappy Leo movie and also a very easy read :hee:.

I have other usual recommendations but they're more on the challenging side. I don't know if that's offensive :joker:.

Oliver_W 21-10-2020 08:35 PM

I'd go with Stephen King stuff too, though recommending it seems a bit ... basic? It's like, well duh, of course Stephen King :joker:

I like his prose, I can get lost in his words even when he's yakking on about nothing, like in vast swathes of IT.

His recent one, The Institute, was good. A bit like XMen: New Mutants in a kinda but not really way.

LeatherTrumpet 21-10-2020 08:38 PM

Yep Discworld

Morgan. 21-10-2020 08:40 PM

https://www.snazal.com/images/produc...mage_94216.jpg

Toy Soldier 21-10-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10937544)
I'd always recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld books for fantasy! Especially ones with Granny Weatherwax and the other witches <3

I think if you're recommending Discworld you need to be selective about what to offer up as "starter books" because (in my opinion) the earliest ones aren't a good starting place because they aren't the best of the books, but some of the later ones (some of the best ones) are basically unreadable as a standalone read and pretty much require having read earlier books to have a clue what's going on. e.g. I liked "The Fifth Elephant" but it's indecipherable without reading earlier City Watch books. Likewise, Hogfather is one of my favourite reads but (while readable) you have to have read earlier Death books to get the most out of it.

Smithy 21-10-2020 08:44 PM

BLACK WATER LILIES

honestly recommend this to everyone it’s AMAZING

Oliver_W 21-10-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10937560)
I think if you're recommending Discworld you need to be selective about what to offer up as "starter books" because (in my opinion) the earliest ones aren't a good starting place because they aren't the best of the books, but some of the later ones (some of the best ones) are basically unreadable as a standalone read and pretty much require having read earlier books to have a clue what's going on. e.g. I liked "The Fifth Elephant" but it's indecipherable without reading earlier City Watch books. Likewise, Hogfather is one of my favourite reads but (while readable) you have to have read earlier Death books to get the most out of it.

True! I wouldn't quite say I don't "get" Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic, but ... I prefer the films :laugh: I think those two are very "of the time" and don't have the universal accessibility the later ones do.

The Witch series can be read pretty much in order, with Equal Rites being an optional starting point. ER had shaken the dust off its feet a bit, but the characterisation of Granny and setting of Lancre are both quite different to even Wyrd Sisters. I still love it though.

Toy Soldier 21-10-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10937551)
I'd go with Stephen King stuff too, though recommending it seems a bit ... basic? It's like, well duh, of course Stephen King :joker:

And yes but we're talking as a step up from Harry Potter... so...

Meh I'll recommend a few of the tougher ones anyway;

Nausea - Jean-Paul Sartre

For some high jinx in existentialism

Journey to Ixtlan - Carlos Castaneda

All of the fun of hallucinogenics with none of the risk.

Lanark - Alasdair Gray

Ever wanted to do all of the drugs? All of the drugs all at the same time? Ever wanted to deliberately give yourself an ocular migraine? Ever wanted to read about people slowly morphing into scaley dragons in an ambiguous afterlife whilst being birthed out of a giant mouth-vagina? This is the book for you!

Oliver_W 21-10-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10937565)
Nausea[/B] - Jean-Paul Sartre

For some high jinx in existentialism

I have a grudge against him, I spent ages waiting for Superman to show up and save the day in Zarathustra but he never did :fist:

Daniel. 21-10-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10937565)

Lanark - Alasdair Gray

Ever wanted to do all of the drugs? All of the drugs all at the same time? Ever wanted to deliberately give yourself an ocular migraine? Ever wanted to read about people slowly morphing into scaley dragons in an ambiguous afterlife whilst being birthed out of a giant mouth-vagina? This is the book for you!

This seems interesting, is it entertaining or just confusing?

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 21-10-2020 09:21 PM

The only book i’ve read in years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweetpea-mo...6673/ref=nodl_

Tom4784 21-10-2020 09:28 PM

Song of Achilles is one of my favourite books, I can't say much about it since it needs to be experienced but if you like it, there's another book by the same writer called Circe which is also excellent. I can't recommend both enough.

Toy Soldier 21-10-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel. (Post 10937570)
This seems interesting, is it entertaining or just confusing?

It's both in all honesty. It's divided into 4 parts parts 1 and 4 are surreal as **** (set in some sort of twisted afterlife) and parts 2 and 3 (in the protagonist's actual life) read like a normal book. It's bizarre but it's stuck with me for decades.

bitontheslide 22-10-2020 06:24 AM

Terry Brooks - the Shannara series

Frank Herbert - Dune series

Ammi 22-10-2020 06:42 AM

...I’m not generally a reader of horror/fantasy but I did always enjoy Peter Benchley novels...obviously Jaws is the most well known one ...I think that Ben did a thread on the Dark Towers books as well at one time...I know that my son read those and loved them...

Ammi 22-10-2020 07:28 AM

...oh I read The Woman in Black as well and that was really scary...

Tony Montana 22-10-2020 01:13 PM

Cirque du Freak

Of Mice and Men

I loved reading these back in secondary school.

LukeB 22-10-2020 01:41 PM

thanks for the suggestions! going to take a look at these

I just ordered IT book so I'm going to attempt to read that

Tom4784 22-10-2020 01:48 PM

IT is.... a lot.

Most of the story is good and interesting enough but then Stephen King just crawls up his own arse with it and there's one scene which is just so out of the blue and completely gross that it just lessened the book for me. IT Chapter 1 is a better version of the story than the actual book, I thought. Chapter 2 less so but then the adult half of the story is where it mostly falls apart in the book anyway.

LukeB 22-10-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10937925)
IT is.... a lot.

Most of the story is good and interesting enough but then Stephen King just crawls up his own arse with it and there's one scene which is just so out of the blue and completely gross that it just lessened the book for me. IT Chapter 1 is a better version of the story than the actual book, I thought. Chapter 2 less so but then the adult half of the story is where it mostly falls apart in the book anyway.

Always wanted to read it and because it's so big I decided to get it out the way.

Is the gross thing about the child orgy?

Niamh. 22-10-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10937925)
IT is.... a lot.

Yeah really put me off Stephen King actually and I was a fan

Nicky91 22-10-2020 01:59 PM

any of the Jurassic Park novels are a good read i guess