ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pansexuality - a fad or a tangible sexuality? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371235)

Redway 29-10-2020 03:09 AM

Pansexuality - a fad or a tangible sexuality?

As it says in the title.

Redway 29-10-2020 03:41 AM

Any reason in particular why you went with the first option Shaun? Not that I disagree.

Shaun 29-10-2020 04:16 AM

I've always felt pansexuality is a superfluous continuation of bisexuality; it rests on the idea of falling for someone or being attracted to someone regardless of their gender - and puts emphasis on non-binary, trans or intersex individuals... but I've always felt that to differentiate this from bisexuality is sort of a middle-finger to everyone who's ever identified as "bisexual" in the past as if they're bigoted and unwilling to be attracted to such people.

I think the key word is "sex" in sexual, and whilst there are absolutely a ton of valid gender identities, there are only two sexes and bisexual therefore covers all aspects. I have no problem with people clarifying what they mean by when they say they're bisexual, and I guess I don't really care if someone says they're "pan", but I just take umbridge with the implication that anyone who's bi is transphobic or adheres to concrete gender norms. I also think "pansexuality" has, ironically, itself become an umbrella term for a bunch of different-minded people; to some, being pan goes hand in hand with polyamory, whilst others would be monogamous, and it's differences like that that make the term just a bit meaningless in my eyes.

Elliot 29-10-2020 04:37 AM

They’re two different things and there’s a lot of ppl who do make the distinction even tho it’s not that important but there’s a lot of ppl who call themselves bisexual where pansexuality more accurately applies to them.

Niamh. 29-10-2020 08:23 AM

I suppose it depends on what your understanding of the term sexual orientation is, my understanding of it is which sex you're attracted to, therefore there can only by 4 different sexual orientations - Same sex, Opposite sex, both sexes or neither sex. Anything other than that would fall under personal attractions/who you're attracted to/how you date people but that would still fall under one of those 4 categories....if that makes sense?

Liam- 29-10-2020 08:58 AM

It’s just bisexuality for people who want to sound different

LeatherTrumpet 29-10-2020 08:59 AM

I think its just a way for people to feel important

Jessica. 29-10-2020 01:52 PM

What a ridiculous thread. Of course they're different.

Kate! 29-10-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10942057)
I suppose it depends on what your understanding of the term sexual orientation is, my understanding of it is which sex you're attracted to, therefore there can only by 4 different sexual orientations - Same sex, Opposite sex, both sexes or neither sex. Anything other than that would fall under personal attractions/who you're attracted to/how you date people but that would still fall under one of those 4 categories....if that makes sense?

Yes that makes sense. You've explained it well Niamh. Thats how I see it.

Mitchell 29-10-2020 02:28 PM

If they feel like that is their sexuality, then that’s none of my business

Redway 29-10-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica. (Post 10942455)
What a ridiculous thread. Of course they're different.

It’s not ridiculous if so many people question it. We’re not talking hard science here, just labels.

Tom4784 29-10-2020 04:27 PM

People's choices are their own, if someone identifies as pansexual than power to them BUT, I do think that pansexuality is bisexuality by another name without the negative stigma of bisexuality.

A lot of the indentifiers of pansexuality also applies to other sexualities. A straight person can have sex with a trans person and still be straight, same with gay or bisexual people sleeping with a trans person because I recognise trans people as simply being the gender they have transitioned to. Suggesting that other sexualities are more binary and more focused on physical attraction is also demeaning to other people, since one thing I always hear is that pansexual people fall in love with people and not genders which just suggests that everyone else has less meaningful relationships by default.

Pansexuality is essentially just bisexuality without any preferences.

Captain.Remy 29-10-2020 04:56 PM

This is their sexuality and no one has to judge it or define it but themselves. Love is love, and that's where it's at.
Be whoever you feel like being, as long as it's done with consent and not harming children/animals.

Captain.Remy 29-10-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10941994)
I've always felt pansexuality is a superfluous continuation of bisexuality; it rests on the idea of falling for someone or being attracted to someone regardless of their gender - and puts emphasis on non-binary, trans or intersex individuals... but I've always felt that to differentiate this from bisexuality is sort of a middle-finger to everyone who's ever identified as "bisexual" in the past as if they're bigoted and unwilling to be attracted to such people.

I think the key word is "sex" in sexual, and whilst there are absolutely a ton of valid gender identities, there are only two sexes and bisexual therefore covers all aspects. I have no problem with people clarifying what they mean by when they say they're bisexual, and I guess I don't really care if someone says they're "pan", but I just take umbridge with the implication that anyone who's bi is transphobic or adheres to concrete gender norms. I also think "pansexuality" has, ironically, itself become an umbrella term for a bunch of different-minded people; to some, being pan goes hand in hand with polyamory, whilst others would be monogamous, and it's differences like that that make the term just a bit meaningless in my eyes.

Not all, I know I'm not at least. Proud bi and really had sex with pretty much all sexualities out there :laugh: But yeah, this is a known problem in the LGBT+ community in regards to "other" forms of sexualities. We really sometimes are our worst ennemy. I think it's down to education and learning what is what and who is who. It really isn't complicated to understand and not judge others for who/what they are attracted to.

Jack_ 29-10-2020 07:21 PM

To be fair, all sexualities (or rather, "sexual orientations") are no more or less tangible than any other. And there's a reason for that! The idea of having a "sexual orientation" is itself a discursive production, not an inherent truth (see: The History of Sexuality). A few hundred years ago sex was something one did, now it defines who you are.

Quote:

"Homosexuality appeared as one of the forms of sexuality when it was transposed from the practice of sodomy onto a kind of interior androgyny, a hermaphrodism of the soul. The sodomite had been a temporary aberration; the homosexual was now a species"
That's not to say they aren't real, or are illegitimate, or that people choose who or what they're attracted to (this is really important), but it's worth remembering that literally all sexual orientations, are, in essence (and for want of a better phrase), "made up". So does it really matter?

Also, that's not to mention the fact that there are so many different facets to one's own sexuality, and yet we just use gender for definitional purposes. Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's Epistemology of the Closet is well worth a read on this subject. Will change ya life, trust!

Quote:

"It is a rather amazing fact that, of the very many dimensions along which the genital activity of one person can be differentiated from that of another (dimensions that include preference for certain acts, certain zones or sensations, certain physical types, a certain frequency, certain symbolic investments, certain relations of age or power, a certain species, a certain number of participants, etc. etc. etc.), precisely one, the gender of object choice, emerged from the turn of the century, and has remained, as the dimension denoted by the now ubiquitous category of "sexual orientation"."
Quote:

"It is certainly true that without a concept of gender there could be, quite simply, no concept of homo- or heterosexuality. But many other dimensions of sexual choice (auto- or alloerotic, within or between generations, species, etc.) have no such distinctive, explicit definitional connection with gender; indeed, some dimensions of sexuality might be tied, not to gender, but instead to differences or similarities of race or class. The definitional narrowing-down in this century of sexuality as a whole to a binarized calculus of homo- or heterosexuality is a weighty fact but an entirely historical one."
TLDR: live and let live, none of it really matters

Daniel. 29-10-2020 07:38 PM

It's bisexuality.

Redway 29-10-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 10942783)
To be fair, all sexualities (or rather, "sexual orientations") are no more or less tangible than any other. And there's a reason for that! The idea of having a "sexual orientation" is itself a discursive production, not an inherent truth (see: The History of Sexuality). A few hundred years ago sex was something one did, now it defines who you are.

That's not to say they aren't real, or are illegitimate, or that people choose who or what they're attracted to (this is really important), but it's worth remembering that literally all sexual orientations, are, in essence (and for want of a better phrase), "made up". So does it really matter?

Also, that's not to mention the fact that there are so many different facets to one's own sexuality, and yet we just use gender for definitional purposes. Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's Epistemology of the Closet is well worth a read on this subject. Will change ya life, trust!

TLDR: live and let live, none of it really matters

So you think everyone’s at least a little bit bisexual?

Oliver_W 30-10-2020 07:30 AM

Nah it's just bisexuality with a silly label.

Sexuality is based on sex, and there are two sexes.

Even if someone has an intersex condition, they still appear to be male or female, and will attract people based on that.

Redway 23-01-2021 10:43 PM

I figured I might as well bump this since there’s a discussion about this overfilling in the other thread.

Cal. 23-01-2021 10:47 PM

I always took pansexual to mean you can be attracted to everybody and don’t see gender or anything like that. Bisexual means that you’re attracted to women and you’re attracted to men. There’s a difference to me but idk if I can explain it properly.

Denver 23-01-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 10990395)
I always took pansexual to mean you can be attracted to everybody and don’t see gender or anything like that. Bisexual means that you’re attracted to women and you’re attracted to men. There’s a difference to me but idk if I can explain it properly.

This is what it is and you would see a trans person as a trans woman/man and wouldn't call them man or woman but your the tern trans with pansexuality any gender is what you are attracted to and you wouldn't need to say your seeing a trans woman you would just call them a woman

Denver 23-01-2021 11:01 PM

Also the same people to attack pansexuals for who they are and call them attention seekers or whatever are usually the first to say we should accept everyone for whi they are

Moniqua 23-01-2021 11:43 PM

you're all such disappointments

Oliver_W 24-01-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 10990395)

That's still being attracted to both sexes though :shrug:

Redway 24-01-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10990433)
That's still being attracted to both sexes though :shrug:

I think the implication is that a pansexual person wouldn't be averse to "non-binary"/transgendered relations whereas a bisexual's attracted to the two orthodox sexes. Whatever your thoughts about self-identifying non-binary people you can't deny that transgender and intersexual shades do exist. One of them by nature.