ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hollywood Film Academy - want to ban BORAT as its RACIST (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372205)

LeatherTrumpet 09-12-2020 09:51 AM

Hollywood Film Academy - want to ban BORAT as its RACIST

https://media.breitbart.com/media/20...t1-640x480.jpg

Advocacy groups are calling for the Borat sequel, starring Sacha Baron Cohen, to be barred
from the Oscars and Golden Globes for “promoting racism in entertainment” and “portraying
Kazakh people as misogynistic, incestuous, anti-Semitic, and barbarous.”

Several advocacy organizations have called for Borat Subsequent Moviefilm to be banned
from competing in the industry’s awards after the film earned an Oscar nomination and two
Golden Globe nominations, according to a report by Fox News. The organizations say that
Sacha Baron Cohen’s flick is guilty of “normalizing, promoting and monetizing whitewashing,
ethnic stereotyping, cultural appropriation and racism in entertainment.”

“Mr. Cohen went beyond any moral or ethical standards in portraying Kazakh people as misogynistic,
incestuous, anti-Semitic, and barbarous,” said Gia Noortas, CEO of Hollywood Film Academy.
“Due to this harmful misrepresentation, more Kazakhs today will face racial abuse, bullying,

humiliation, and dehumanization.”

The groups are now “calling on the film award organizations worldwide to publicly condemn
whitewashing and cultural appropriation, stand against racism and racial hatred and remove Mr. Cohen,
his cast, crew and film ‘Borat Subsequent Moviefilm’ from their respective competitions this year.”

“We understand that the nature of comedy is to test the limits of what is acceptable,
but not at our nation’s expense,” acknowledged Noortas, who went on to say that the film is nonetheless “racism, period.”

“It’s racism, period,” said Noortas. “Racial abuse of Kazakh minority should not be the

last refuge of racism in Hollywood. Kazakh women have become targets for harassment,
Kazakh children are being bullied, Kazakhs worldwide face discrimination.”

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm is the sequel to the 2006 mockumentary-style comedy Borat.
The film follows Kazakhstani journalist Borat, as makes his return to the United States, this time with his daughter
— played by Maria Bakalova — where the two attempt to carry out a “secret mission.”

https://www.wionews.com/entertainmen...res-why-348338

:whistle:

Black Dagger 09-12-2020 09:52 AM

That and the fact its a terrible film and shouldn't be considered for prestigious awards regardless.

Nicky91 09-12-2020 09:56 AM

good, and i cannot disagree with them at all

he's placing misinformation about kazakhstan with his rubbish movie anyway, that this rubbish even got a sequel is undeserving

stick to stand up comedy Sacha

LeatherTrumpet 09-12-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10966445)
good, and i cannot disagree with them at all

he's placing misinformation about kazakhstan with his rubbish movie anyway, that this rubbish even got a sequel is undeserving

stick to stand up comedy Sacha

and Jurrasic park is spreading scientific misinformation to children so lets ban that?

Niamh. 09-12-2020 10:07 AM

I can see why the kazakhstani people would be offended although it's pretty clear it's not a serious portrayal either

LeatherTrumpet 09-12-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10966451)
I can see why the kazakhstani people would be offended although it's pretty clear it's not a serious portrayal either

I think most nations have been lampooned in films over the years

Mystic Mock 09-12-2020 10:09 AM

It's a Comedy fgs!

Films should only be being banned imo if they promote murder of innocent people, rape, or paedophilia as heroic things. Otherwise just don't watch.

arista 09-12-2020 10:12 AM

Its Comedy
but many take it as fact

Niamh. 09-12-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10966452)
I think most nations have been lampooned in films over the years

Tom Cruise should have been arrested after Far and Away tbf

Kizzy 09-12-2020 10:21 AM

And Shrek is offensive to ogres. .. lol
My guess it's got more to do with an embarrassed lawyer hehehe

Shaun 09-12-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10966451)

Yeah it's unfortunate really that he had to choose a random country to "hail from" to amplify the West's ignorances. To take it at face value: yeah it's offensive to Kazakhstan. But the point of the character is to mock our own preconceptions of countries and cultures we know nothing about, and criticise our sense of "better than them".

I do wonder if he could have made up a country or region to hail from and got the same results and meetings.

Niamh. 09-12-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10966503)
Yeah it's unfortunate really that he had to choose a random country to "hail from" to amplify the West's ignorances. To take it at face value: yeah it's offensive to Kazakhstan. But the point of the character is to mock our own preconceptions of countries and cultures we know nothing about, and criticise our sense of "better than them".

Yes exactly, it's more of a tool to unleash the inner(and not so inner in a lot of places) bigot in people

Tom4784 09-12-2020 11:17 AM

Satire is satire.

Marsh. 09-12-2020 12:24 PM

Never found it funny in all honesty.

Nicky91 09-12-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10966449)
and Jurrasic park is spreading scientific misinformation to children so lets ban that?

No, at least not entirely

and it is fiction ;)

LeatherTrumpet 09-12-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10966575)
No, at least not entirely

and it is fiction ;)

and so is Borat :wink:

Nicky91 09-12-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10966576)
and so is Borat :wink:

i've never seen it, and i now know i never will watch it anyway

Niamh. 09-12-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10966577)
i've never seen it, and i now know i never will watch it anyway

Borat is a fictional character played by Sacha Baron Cohen, he's also played characters called Ali G and Bruno

Ammi 09-12-2020 01:00 PM

...I was just frozen at cringe all the way through...but somehow I found it very feel good as well in the relationship dynamics...I’m not sure how that happened but...I kind of liked it...

...(...not a watch again movie, though..)...

Nicky91 09-12-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10966582)
Borat is a fictional character played by Sacha Baron Cohen, he's also played characters called Ali G and Bruno

Sacha likes controversy i guess, with stereotypes

not my sort of comedy

Ammi 09-12-2020 01:03 PM

...he’s a really underrated actor, I think ...

Nicky91 09-12-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 10966592)
...he’s a really underrated actor, I think ...

no hardly underrated, more overrated

Stu 09-12-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10966609)
no hardly underrated, more overrated

Pretty conclusive opinion to draw, given you didn't have a single clue what his performances entailed less than an hour ago.

He's not a stand up, either.

Nicky91 09-12-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 10966611)
Pretty conclusive opinion to draw, given you didn't have a single clue what his performances entailed less than an hour ago.

He's not a stand up, either.

umm

for Borat, creating a disgusting stereotype, most kazakhi people are most definitely nothing like that

for Bruno another disgusting stereotype, surprises me he didn't get complaints from LGBTQ+ community

for Ali G, well just a dumb weirdo who tries to come across as a rapper

overall Sacha is a one trick pony, and thankfully controversial twats never win any awards

Niamh. 09-12-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10966624)
umm

for Borat, creating a disgusting stereotype, most kazakhi people are most definitely nothing like that

for Bruno another disgusting stereotype, surprises me he didn't get complaints from LGBTQ+ community

for Ali G, well just a dumb weirdo who tries to come across as a rapper

overall Sacha is a one trick pony, and thankfully controversial twats never win any awards

Except these ones :smug:

2006 – Won: Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor.
2006 – Won: San Francisco Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor.
2006 – Won: Toronto Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor.
2006 – Won: Deutscher Comedypreis (German comedy award) for Best International Comedy.
2007 – Won: Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical
2007 – Won: MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance
2007 – Won: Evening Standard British Film Awards: Peter Sellers award for Best Comedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacha_...nd_nominations