ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Are you a music snob? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372226)

Daniel. 09-12-2020 09:28 PM

Are you a music snob?

Do you look down on people from a musical standpoint because they like something you dislike or find mainstream etc?

My favourite acts are Paramore, Bjork, Slipknot and Kate Bush so im defo not as I like all sorts, but I wouldn't be anyway as people should like what they like anyway

Ramsay 09-12-2020 09:38 PM

Nah I'm not 16 anymore I pretty much listen to most genres

Stu 09-12-2020 10:38 PM

I'm not a music snob, but I obviously do have strong opinions on specific acts, sounds, eras etc if people want to discuss it with me. There's aspects of production across all genres I loath, and some I have favouritism toward. That's aesthetic preference though moreso than snobbery. I hate tinny production and wall of sound. I need atmospheres. You can get atmospheres in pop, rock, hip hop. Doesn't matter.

I also love cheesy trance, hardcore, hardstyle etc. A lot of artless, extreme forms of dance music that are quite simple to create. So definitely can't afford to be snobby around acts.

I do think the majority of modern hip hop and pop is essentially useless live and seems geared more towards being YouTubed/.gifd/shared online or whatever. But that's fine. It's entertainment. Music's my life and not everyone's idea of a good time is going to a gig looking to get murdered, like me.

Mystic Mock 10-12-2020 08:14 AM

People can like what they like imo, I wouldn't look down on anyone for liking a singer that I personally didn't like.

The only Music that I personally struggle to get into really is Swing/Jazz type of stuff, otherwise I like to think that I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to my Music taste.

Alf 10-12-2020 08:14 AM

Yes! I am.

Anybody that would rather listen to Ariana Grande than listen to Led Zeppelin, should be shot for music treason.

Stu 10-12-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 10966912)
People can like what they like imo, I wouldn't look down on anyone for liking a singer that I personally didn't like.

The only Music that I personally struggle to get into really is Swing/Jazz type of stuff, otherwise I like to think that I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to my Music taste.

Yeah, can't do jazz.

Can't do any post noughties RnB either. Especially the male stuff. That "Ooh baby I'm so sorry" tripe that has the musical weight of listening to somebody else's earphones sitting next to you on the bus.

Alf 10-12-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 10966912)

Here's some swing, jazz that will literally get you "in the mood"

Probably the most famous piece of music during WW2.

Niamh. 10-12-2020 08:35 AM

I like a bit of Jazz, the more mellow kind mostly though

LeatherTrumpet 10-12-2020 08:49 AM

i certainly feel sorry for the younger generation about what is available musically today and the impact music has now. so i guess yes

Nicky91 10-12-2020 08:53 AM

No, i just listen to all sorts of music

smudgie 10-12-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10966919)
Here's some swing, jazz that will literally get you "in the mood"

Probably the most famous piece of music during WW2.

One of my all time favourites, Glenn Miller.
My dad bought me his collection when I was 16.

Alf 10-12-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10966933)
One of my all time favourites, Glenn Miller.
My dad bought me his collection when I was 16.

If you like Glenn Miller, then you must like Benny Goodman, too?

Daniel. 10-12-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10966927)
i certainly feel sorry for the younger generation about what is available musically today and the impact music has now. so i guess yes

But the younger generation can easily listen to older music.

Nicky91 10-12-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel. (Post 10967131)
But the younger generation can easily listen to older music.

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

some older music is timeless

and when you think even more about it, the Balkans have been making the same music (Ballads, Turbofolk) for the last 30 to 40 years and i find them delivering so much quality everytime, only recently there has been some more pop music, and since this year they have spotify too for first time

Smithy 10-12-2020 04:41 PM

No, let people enjoy what they like, some people are so pretentious about the whole thing, like... :skull: