ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jodie Whittaker quits Doctor Who after 4 years (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372672)

Denver 03-01-2021 10:57 PM

Jodie Whittaker quits Doctor Who after 4 years

Its been reported that she has decided to quit after rthe next series keeping in recent tradition of 3 series stints for Doctors

Denver 03-01-2021 11:04 PM

My guess is a black or Asian doctor next? Especially now they have broken them boundaries of being able to regenerate into female or male it would make sense for that to happen

arista 03-01-2021 11:04 PM

https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/03CD/prod...900_mirror.jpg

Beastie 03-01-2021 11:05 PM

Sue Perkins for next doctor plz x

Mitchell 03-01-2021 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastie (Post 10978761)
Sue Perkins for next doctor plz x

Yes please thank you very much

Toy Soldier 03-01-2021 11:20 PM

I keep seeing this reported as a "quit" when surely it's more or less expected at this point? It's the standard cycle of the NuWho if you don't include Eccleston.

Josiah. 03-01-2021 11:51 PM

We'll know for sure if she did leave the show if and when the BBC and/or Jodie herself make the announcement.

Headie 03-01-2021 11:54 PM

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ta...20200312235757

She's coming girls!

Glenn. 04-01-2021 02:13 AM

It’s the Mirror which is normally right with Doctor Who stuff but Jodie said the other week that she doesn’t plan on leaving just yet. Although she might have to say that. I’ll be sad to see her go if it’s true

Morgan. 04-01-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn. (Post 10978781)
It’s the Mirror which is normally right with Doctor Who stuff but Jodie said the other week that she doesn’t plan on leaving just yet. Although she might have to say that. I’ll be sad to see her go if it’s true

Yeah I think it was just last week she said she wasn’t ready to pass on the shoes just yet haha

As much as I love her, and she’s probably in my top 3 NuWho doctors, it wouldn’t feel right if she was the first to break the 3-stint tradition.

DouglasS 04-01-2021 09:27 AM

It needs to go back to being a male doctor

Jarrod 04-01-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 10978847)

I don't think it "needs" to go back - it probably will be a male Doctor next, but Jodie has been a fantastic Doctor. She's suffered some poor writing but has done really well with what she's been given. She's up there as one of my favourites.

Braden 04-01-2021 11:12 AM

:(

Mystic Mock 04-01-2021 01:49 PM

Her performance has definitely been a bright spot in this era of Doctor Who.

Oliver_W 04-01-2021 01:56 PM

While she's clearly been let down by the material, she wasn't able to elevate it the same way Peter Capaldi could. It'd have been interesting to see her under a different showrunner, but I guess we're getting second best, which is a different Doctor under Chibbers...

funny if Kris Marshall really did become the Doctor this time :laugh: It'd be cool if John Bishop is a "stealth cast", be it through Chameleon Arc or something.

Toy Soldier 04-01-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan. (Post 10978834)
Yeah I think it was just last week she said she wasn’t ready to pass on the shoes just yet haha

As much as I love her, and she’s probably in my top 3 NuWho doctors, it wouldn’t feel right if she was the first to break the 3-stint tradition.

I read that interview but... the season due to air this year has already been filmed and is ready to go. And that will be her 3rd stint, so I think it's likely that this will be her last full series? She said "not quite yet" but to me that suggests she will do next year's Christmas/New Year special (whichever they go with this time) and that will be her swansong.

TBH I actually think they should make it as much of "a thing" at they can... hire a new person on a 3-season contract with it being understood that it's likely to be a fixed term. Makes it more attractive as a role, as well. All of the NuWho actors have expressed loving the role but mention that it monopolises their work availability and they tend to be the sort of actors who are keen to move on to other projects. It's what keeps the role compelling and the performances fresh.

Toy Soldier 04-01-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10978947)
While she's clearly been let down by the material, she wasn't able to elevate it the same way Peter Capaldi could. It'd have been interesting to see her under a different showrunner, but I guess we're getting second best, which is a different Doctor under Chibbers...

funny if Kris Marshall really did become the Doctor this time :laugh: It'd be cool if John Bishop is a "stealth cast", be it through Chameleon Arc or something.

I actually enjoyed it when I got round to watching it. I hate the "special child origin of the timelords" storyline and I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping it turns out to be some sort of Master-based-deception. It ruins the doctor's backstory (the mischievous child who ran away to see the stars) somewhat. But anyway... I enjoyed a lot of it as standalone material. She did fade into the background a little too often - I honestly think in large part due to the error of having an ensemble cast - however she had several "solo moments" where she did convincingly shine as the battle-hardened Doctor we've known since the middle of Smith's run. Especially in the second run, and it's a shame we didn't get more of them.

Maybe we will in her 3rd stint as it's thankfully back to Doctor +1 in the TARDIS.

Saph 04-01-2021 03:17 PM

the show needs a new writer

its been boring since series 5 tbh

Toy Soldier 04-01-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saph (Post 10978991)
the show needs a new writer

its been boring since series 5 tbh

Only if you're a Tennant stan. Smith's whole arc is great and Capaldi has its moments. On a recent rewatch I found the relationship between Capaldoctor and Clara pretty ... odd ... though. Some definite incesty vibes going on :umm2:. Is it a father-daughter relationship? Is it romantic? You can't ****ing tell and that's just unsettling :joker:.

Tom4784 04-01-2021 04:24 PM

It'll be a shame if her talents are wasted on the downright offensively bad writing that this era of Who has put out.

I've enjoyed her as the Doctor but I do wish we could have seen her under Moffett's or RTD's care. I don't think, outside of a few episodes, that I could ever bring myself to watch any of Chibnall's era again and it's a shame because I like Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor a lot.

Morgan. 04-01-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10978976)
I read that interview but... the season due to air this year has already been filmed and is ready to go. And that will be her 3rd stint, so I think it's likely that this will be her last full series? She said "not quite yet" but to me that suggests she will do next year's Christmas/New Year special (whichever they go with this time) and that will be her swansong.

TBH I actually think they should make it as much of "a thing" at they can... hire a new person on a 3-season contract with it being understood that it's likely to be a fixed term. Makes it more attractive as a role, as well. All of the NuWho actors have expressed loving the role but mention that it monopolises their work availability and they tend to be the sort of actors who are keen to move on to other projects. It's what keeps the role compelling and the performances fresh.

Yeah I fully get what you’re saying. Although I saw another interview with Jodie this week where she has said she’s struggling to consider her career after doctor who, it takes up so much of her life and she loves playing it so much that she’s finding it hard to imagine what role, if any, she would want to move on next.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a ‘please consider stepping down to respect the fans and the tradition’ word of advice from the producers rather than her sitting and thinking ‘yup I’m ready to go’.

GoldHeart 04-01-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing it will be another female, but I haven't watched any of it since capaldi's first season.

Oliver_W 04-01-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

The show doesn't "need" the Doctor to have any particular surface level traits - man, woman, black, white, gay, straight, bi, Thai... Whoever it is, they'll have Chinball's writing to contend with...

Marsh. 04-01-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10978976)
I read that interview but... the season due to air this year has already been filmed and is ready to go.

???

I read that they started a 10 month shoot in November? Nowhere near ready. :laugh: Apparently it's also only 8 episodes due to slower filming pace with covid guidelines.

On that basis I wouldn't mind her doing another series because she's still done far fewer episodes than previous Doctors.

Marsh. 04-01-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10979001)
Only if you're a Tennant stan. Smith's whole arc is great and Capaldi has its moments. On a recent rewatch I found the relationship between Capaldoctor and Clara pretty ... odd ... though. Some definite incesty vibes going on :umm2:. Is it a father-daughter relationship? Is it romantic? You can't ****ing tell and that's just unsettling :joker:.

I really enjoyed a lot of Capaldi/Clara but by series 9 she's pretty much trying to take the lead performance away from Capaldi and it always annoyed me.