ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Clap for heroes. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372705)

parmnion 06-01-2021 04:49 PM

Clap for heroes.

I hope we all take part this time.

Nicky91 06-01-2021 04:52 PM

:clap1: yup i will clap

i also clapped a bit by myself in my room at christmas while watching great british christmas menu, for those heroes who got that delicious and well deserving banquet

Alf 06-01-2021 04:54 PM

I only obey when Simon says.

The Slim Reaper 06-01-2021 04:55 PM

I will be abstaining for the same reasons I abstained last time.

parmnion 06-01-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10980010)
:clap1: yup i will clap

i also clapped a bit by myself in my room at christmas while watching great british christmas menu, for those heroes who got that delicious and well deserving banquet

The social movement was started by a young Dutch woman...Annemarie Plas

Toy Soldier 06-01-2021 05:43 PM

Why are they even doing it again? It was relvealed for the absolute ****ing joke it always was back in the late summer when everyone imagined Covid was over and, predictably, the "support for NHS staff" evaporated over night.

Oh no look Covid isn't gone after all

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SizzlingEa...restricted.gif

LeatherTrumpet 06-01-2021 05:44 PM

it just smacks of facebook and women who call people "hun"

NO

Jake. 06-01-2021 06:03 PM

Not this time, no. It was a lovely sentiment before but they’re clearly not respected enough to get a pay rise for all they’ve done for us so what’s the point?

DouglasS 06-01-2021 06:12 PM

I will be clapping for heroes, the wispa is just too good and deserves praise

parmnion 06-01-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10980062)
Why are they even doing it again? It was relvealed for the absolute ****ing joke it always was back in the late summer when everyone imagined Covid was over and, predictably, the "support for NHS staff" evaporated over night.

Oh no look Covid isn't gone after all

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SizzlingEa...restricted.gif

It's got to be good for mental health.

The aspect of being locked away in your own home with nothing to look forward to..but then you have this every thursday night at 8pm to look forward to.:shrug:

I can tell you that it made the weeks fly past away back in april and march for me..sometimes I would be sitting at the window in the evening after work thinking, wow, its thursday already as the ripple of pans and hearty applause filtered it's way across the rooftops.

I firmly believe this is a great thing to do to keep up your spirits...and those that are helping us all through this.

parmnion 06-01-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10980064)
it just smacks of facebook and women who call people "hun"

NO

I remember thinking the last time that I hadnt seen many fb videos of people clapping..I saw a fair few on the news and one of a line piper in a street in scotland..but I know I wasnt overwhelmed with videos to watch..

I would have watched them though, if they had been posted..you live in an isolated location do you not?

bitontheslide 06-01-2021 06:56 PM

i didnt clap the last time and i wont this time

The Slim Reaper 06-01-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10980154)

The aspect of being locked away in your own home with nothing to look forward to..but then you have this every thursday night at 8pm to look forward to.:shrug:

I can tell you that it made the weeks fly past away back in april and march for me..sometimes I would be sitting at the window in the evening after work thinking, wow, its thursday already as the ripple of pans and hearty applause filtered it's way across the rooftops.

I firmly believe this is a great thing to do to keep up your spirits...and those that are helping us all through this.

I actually have sympathy with this view and it was one I hadn't really considered. I still won't be taking part but I appreciate you sharing this.

parmnion 06-01-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper (Post 10980170)
I actually have sympathy with this view and it was one I hadn't really considered. I still won't be taking part but I appreciate you sharing this.

Oh! I feel so honoured.

Kizzy 06-01-2021 07:38 PM

Not a chance...

Claps don't pay wages, come the next budget their sacrifice will be long forgotten. And all those clapping like demented seals will say ' there's no magic money tree!!'

:idc:

parmnion 06-01-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10980263)
Not a chance...

Claps don't pay wages, come the next budget their sacrifice will be long forgotten. And all those clapping like demented seals will say ' there's no magic money tree!!'

:idc:

It's not just for the nhs this time though.. it's for them and the likes of me...

Kizzy 06-01-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10980279)
It's not just for the nhs this time though.. it's for them and the likes of me...

Oh well if its for you then definitely no!

I'm a key worker, I don't want anyone clapping for me. The only person I want some appreciation from is my employer.

Denver 06-01-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10980279)

Don't you sell TV's which is illegally not allowed to happen right now? So why would you be classed as a keyworker

parmnion 06-01-2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10980319)
Don't you sell TV's which is illegally not allowed to happen right now? So why would you be classed as a keyworker

I repair samsung tvs in peoples houses.

Toy Soldier 06-01-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10980154)

It's insulting given the complete lack of MEANINGFUL support for healthcare workers, and if people need to go onto their doorsteps to drum on tupperware for the sake of their own mental health, then they should find something else to clap for. Maybe you could all howl at the moon?

Denver 06-01-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10980329)
I repair samsung tvs in peoples houses.

Which isn't essential is it

parmnion 06-01-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10980340)

It is classed as essential to reduce domestic abuse.

parmnion 06-01-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10980339)
It's insulting given the complete lack of MEANINGFUL support for healthcare workers, and if people need to go onto their doorsteps to drum on tupperware for the sake of their own mental health, then they should find something else to clap for. Maybe you could all howl at the moon?

But people may not be suffering any mental health issues before lockdown.. lockdown may bring kn mental health issues in thousands of people.. if clapping gives them a release from the mental strain of it all then it shouldn't be put down imo.

Cherie 06-01-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver (Post 10980340)

Weren’t you worrying about having not having WiFi for a day during first lockdown?

There will be educational programmes on BBC during lockdown for those with no access to laptops

Toy Soldier 06-01-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10980360)
But people may not be suffering any mental health issues before lockdown.. lockdown may bring kn mental health issues in thousands of people.. if clapping gives them a release from the mental strain of it all then it shouldn't be put down imo.

I think health workers are used and taken for granted enough as it is without them being offered up as a token for people who "need a release". Perhaps they could take the time and energy they have for tooting their horns and banging cutlery and put it into campaigning for fairer pay and conditions for the UK's health workers, and proper funding and support for health services?

No?

Too much work?

OK better just let them have a wee clap and get back to watching Gogglebox.