ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Love Island (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=733)
-   -   The inclusivity of the Love Island format (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373374)

Cal. 11-02-2021 01:06 PM

The inclusivity of the Love Island format

I was just thinking about how it’s 2021 and it is kinda messy that the format is literally just for straight people and the creator has literally gone on record to say ‘there’s plenty of gay people on telly already’ as a reason for them to not redesign the format to accommodate LGBTQ+ people. :/

Idk that’s sitting right with me anymore atm

Thoughts?

Vicky. 11-02-2021 01:19 PM

I think with what the show actually is/focuses on, realistically there would need to be a lgbt version added, its not likely to work just by adding in a few LGBT people. Its a dodgy situation though of course, and it feels quite wrong to say there needs to be seperation. But the whole show is about people swapping partners, really. If there is 0 chance of any attraction with a lot of the contestants, it kind of makes it pointless.

Could alternate years too, so people don't get too sick. One year, straight/bi people. Next year gay/bi people. Or remove bi from one of those..if it seems bi is being greedy!

But yeah, it it a difficult topic for sure. But the 'there’s plenty of gay people on telly already' reply is utterly shocking D:

DouglasS 11-02-2021 01:24 PM

The show would suck if it had gay people on it - it removes all of the future options of people having lots of choice and being able to recouple with anyone. Format wise it doesn’t work and would remove a lot of drama.... it’s a TV show not some Inclusivity experiment/charity

LeatherTrumpet 11-02-2021 01:24 PM

most people are straight so its made for that market

Tom4784 11-02-2021 01:25 PM

I only have a vague idea of what the show's format is since I've never watched it, but from what I understand, it would probably be difficult to do a series with gay and straight people in the same cast though since don't they tend to have to couple up with others frequently? What if one sexuality loses more people than the other? The only way I'd see it working is if you had a bisexual season if you still want to keep the hets interested or simply do an LGBT spin-off.

That being said, the creator saying there's 'enough' gay people on TV is gross, is there a quota for straight people too or is it only LGBT people who are held to one spot per show, maybe more if we're lucky? A ridiculous statement to make by this creator, in all honesty.

Smithy 11-02-2021 01:31 PM

They only way of doing it really would to do a season of only bisexual people

Niamh. 11-02-2021 01:32 PM

The show is trash and I never watch it anyway but yeah I don't see why they wouldn't have a gay people in there, although wouldn't it make it difficult because you'd have to have double or triple actually if you want gay men and women on it the amount of contestants so they could go on dates etc? (not 100% sure how the show works)

LukeB 11-02-2021 01:36 PM

Bi would work. It worked for Sophie and Katie on series 2

DouglasS 11-02-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10998214)
The show is trash and I never watch it anyway but yeah I don't see why they wouldn't have a gay people in there, although wouldn't it make it difficult because you'd have to have double or triple actually if you want gay men and women on it the amount of contestants so they could go on dates etc? (not 100% sure how the show works)

It wouldn’t work, a normal cast will have about 7 men and 7 women, around 14 people in. 7 possibilities of recoupling - causes a lot of drama and tension

For the show to have 14 people and include lgbt

4 gay men - 2 couples
4 gay women - 2 couples
3 straight men and 3 straight women - 3 couples

Giving everyone a choice of 3 people isn’t going to work well... there would be no tension for recouping, no options to recouple or go with someone else due to the lack of choice or options available... no drama... awful tv show... and likewise with so few options a lot of people won’t even like/be attracted to one another.. with normal love island there are about 7 options available to each contestant..

This woke culture is getting ridiculous now trying to ruin TV shows

Cherie 11-02-2021 01:47 PM

There are no disabled people in it either as it doesn’t fit the format of the body beautiful :shrug:

You can’t include everyone in everything, it just doesn’t work

LukeB 11-02-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10998221)
There are no disabled people in it either as it doesn’t fit the format of the body beautiful :shrug:

The whole body beautiful needs changing more than anything really.

Tony Montana 11-02-2021 01:56 PM

I don't think a gay version would be a ratings smash. That's pretty much all the producers care about these days. You saw what happened in Strictly Come Dancing with one same sex couple and how much outrage there was. Now imagine a whole show filled with same sex couples. I didn't watch SCD's last series, but I think ratings dropped compared to previous series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A bi series would be the best choice. It'll guarantee much more drama.

LukeB 11-02-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Montana (Post 10998227)
I don't think a gay version would be a ratings smash. That's pretty much all the producers care about these days. You saw what happened in Strictly Come Dancing with one same sex couple and how much outrage there was. Now imagine a whole show filled with same sex couples. I didn't watch SCD's last series, but I think ratings dropped compared to previous series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A bi series would be the best choice. It'll guarantee much more drama.

To be fair those arseholes wouldn't watch Love Island, I think gays would go down well with the fiats because younger people are more accepting.

It would be nice to see ratings drop and it to go back to Love Island 2. The whole mainstream and fame has ruined Love Island a bit.

GoldHeart 11-02-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10998221)

Exactly I don't think it would work
love island is superficial anyway and is all about athletic Barbie & Ken's chasing eachother and coupling up, we'll never ever see disabled or overweight or ordinary looking people on it or even older people on it .

Love island is crap anyway , don't understand the hype but oh well :idc: .

Take me out was another show where it was men looking to date women as that was the format :shrug: .

Tony Montana 11-02-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10998233)
To be fair those arseholes wouldn't watch Love Island, I think gays would go down well with the fiats because younger people are more accepting.

Hmm good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10998233)
It would be nice to see ratings drop and it to go back to Love Island 2. The whole mainstream and fame has ruined Love Island a bit.

I agree. I'm quite over the show. Winter series was ****e. I couldn't even care if it returned this year.

Daniel-X 11-02-2021 03:03 PM

The ‘enough gay people on telly’ quote is bigoted and gross, gay representation is still really low in TV. There might be one token gay in a reality TV show and most gay characters now in fictional TV shows are straight acting played by straight people.

Also to everyone saying it would ‘ruin the show’; there would be ways of changing the format to accommodate and nobody is suggesting that half the cast needs to be LGBTQ+. Just some representation would be nice, a few people a series or something :shrug:. There would be ways around it.