ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What’s your attitude to driving like? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374972)

Redway 17-04-2021 06:17 AM

What’s your attitude to driving like?

Are you one of those people who readily indulge in long-distance rides on your own terms or are you a bit more hesitant?

AnnieK 17-04-2021 06:47 AM

I'm a confident driver, I like driving. Driving long distances to places I've never been doesn't bother me. I will hire a car and drive abroad. I wouldn't say I would choose to go on a long drive for pleasure just to drive but if the destination was worth it, I wouldn't hesitate.

bitontheslide 17-04-2021 07:13 AM

i was a racing driver in another life

Ammi 17-04-2021 07:24 AM

...I prefer to walk if where I’m going is a walkable distance, walking is such a ‘thinking’ time anyway...but with driving, the focus of thought has to always be on safety and traffic etc so not really at all a ‘good for the soul’, type thing...I do have very long drives because of visiting family/friends who aren’t local etc and I’m fine-ish with them but the roads are becoming more and more busy with traffic so it’s just one of those things that doesn’t progress to becoming quicker, it’s something that ‘regresses’ into slower...

Niamh. 17-04-2021 10:15 AM

I drive a lot, work is a 45 minute trip each way every day, I don't mind driving but I definitely prefer being a passenger when me and Gav are out together, I like being able to look around properly

AnnieK 17-04-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11034964)
I drive a lot, work is a 45 minute trip each way every day, I don't mind driving but I definitely prefer being a passenger when me and Gav are out together, I like being able to look around properly

I'm a terrible passenger. I'm forever going for the imaginary brake :laugh:

bitontheslide 17-04-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 11034969)
I'm a terrible passenger. I'm forever going for the imaginary brake :laugh:

me too ... i think it's impossible not to :laugh:

Niamh. 17-04-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 11034969)
I'm a terrible passenger. I'm forever going for the imaginary brake [emoji23]

My dad was a lunatic driver so I think I just became immune to being a nervous passenger, I just completely tune out [emoji28] Gavin is a really good driver anyway, he used to drive a fire engine so I trust him

Ammi 17-04-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11034985)
My dad was a lunatic driver so I think I just became immune to being a nervous passenger, I just completely tune out [emoji28] Gavin is a really good driver anyway, he used to drive a fire engine so I trust him

....especially when he pops his siren on and weaves on through...

Cal. 17-04-2021 11:30 AM

I can’t pass a bloody driving test!

Jake. 17-04-2021 11:40 AM

I love driving, I think failing 8 practical tests really makes me appreciate it all that much more too lol

Ammi 17-04-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 11035003)
I can’t pass a bloody driving test!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake. (Post 11035005)
I love driving, I think failing 8 practical tests really makes me appreciate it all that much more too lol

...:love:...

...it’ll happen, Cal and you’ll be a stunning driver just as Jake is, I’m so confident of that...:love:..

_Seth 17-04-2021 09:12 PM

I can't drive and don't have any desire to. I live in the city centre and wouldn't want to pay for parking, road tax, petrol, insurance, the car itself, repairs etc. I'll take a train or bus if I need to go outside the city.

I feel like if a lot of people really sat down and evaluated if they truly need a car they'd realise they actually don't and could save all the above costs.

Strictly Jake 17-04-2021 09:15 PM

I'm a bit hesitant if I'm not familiar with the area I'm driving in. For example when I sometimes drive in Manchester to see my wife's family the city centre roads give me panic attacks. But locally I love driving especially now I have a new car!

Marsh. 17-04-2021 09:20 PM

I enjoy it when there's not loads of traffic, but not to the extent that I relish long journeys. For long journeys I'd rather be a passenger to enjoy the ride or read a book or something.

DouglasS 17-04-2021 09:24 PM

I can drive but don’t have a car because I live in the city centre and parking in my flat is £100 a month, so no point wasting £1200 for parking alone when I work from home and live 10 mins from my office/to the city

Dogeatdog 18-04-2021 09:34 AM

I love driving and I prefer to drive when I have no passengers in the car so I can blare out some of my favourite songs whilst I’m doing so lol. I can quite happily drive long distance and I wouldn’t be afraid to jump in any car or van and drive it. I’d defo say I’m a confident driver.

Kazanne 18-04-2021 10:11 AM

I like driving especially at night.

hijaxers 18-04-2021 02:30 PM

I was a very confident driver and drove anywhere and everywhere in the past
but these days not ! We went without a car for ages as Grim had a motorbike
til after the 3rd one got stolen. We have a new vehicle now (bought between
lockdowns ) i've not driven it yet.

rusticgal 18-04-2021 02:52 PM

I like driving...and always been very confident but I hate driving in an area I am not familiar with in the dark...

Livia 20-04-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 11035216)
I can drive but don’t have a car because I live in the city centre and parking in my flat is £100 a month, so no point wasting £1200 for parking alone when I work from home and live 10 mins from my office/to the city

Parking charges are crippling on top of all the other stuff you have to pay... insurance, road fund etc. I never needed a car when I lived in London and could walk to the top of the road and get on a bus. Now I have to drive because no busses come anywhere near where I live... but I don't mind, I quite like driving

Toy Soldier 20-04-2021 10:02 AM

A friend of mine lives & works in the center of Glasgow, he passed his test at 18 and the last time he drove was 2 weeks later, before he moved away for Uni. He's now nearly 36...

...so I meant technically, he has a full and valid UK driving license but I would be utterly ****ing flabbergasted if he can actually drive :umm2:. It's different if you've been driving for a while, even 6 months or something, then don't drive for a long time ... I'm sure you'd still be competent then ... but he's basically only driven a car without an instructor 2 or 3 times, nearly 20 years ago! If he buys a car I'm calling the police.

smudgie 20-04-2021 10:06 AM

Very handy to drive here and there.
I used to enjoy it, not been allowed to drive for quite a few years now and would be quite wary of starting again.

bitontheslide 20-04-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11035997)
A friend of mine lives & works in the center of Glasgow, he passed his test at 18 and the last time he drove was 2 weeks later, before he moved away for Uni. He's now nearly 36...

...so I meant technically, he has a full and valid UK driving license but I would be utterly ****ing flabbergasted if he can actually drive :umm2:. It's different if you've been driving for a while, even 6 months or something, then don't drive for a long time ... I'm sure you'd still be competent then ... but he's basically only driven a car without an instructor 2 or 3 times, nearly 20 years ago! If he buys a car I'm calling the police.

the cars these days are pretty wonderful, my latest follows the car in front at a safe distance, it sticks to speed limits applicable based on road signs, it knows how to keep in a lane and it stops the car if it thinks your are going to hit something, which basically means it really doesnt matter if you have passed your test or not :laugh:

_Tom_ 20-04-2021 12:41 PM

Hoping to be driving soon. Learning since 2019, had a test last October but didn't pass. Just waiting on another test now that won't be cancelled by lockdowns.