ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Pregnant woman to be given 400.00 from the NHS to stop smoking (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376328)

Cherie 25-06-2021 08:55 AM

Pregnant woman to be given 400.00 from the NHS to stop smoking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-quit-smoking/

Pregnant women are to be offered up to £400 of shopping vouchers to quit smoking, under new rules for the NHS.

Health Chiefs said the measure was proved to be "both effective and cost effective".

The scheme will be policed using biochemical tests to check whether participants have quit.

However, under the new guidance from The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice), the vouchers should be given out anyway when testing is too difficult due to the impact of Covid-19.

The scheme has already been tried in some areas, but its adoption by Nice obliges NHS services to consider offering it across the board.

The Royal College of Midwives has previously questioned schemes to incentivise behaviour change through monetary reward.

The guidance, which kicks in when women are referred to an NHS Stop Smoking Service or those run by bodies such as councils, public health teams and charities, said: "Evidence from the UK showed that schemes in which a maximum of around £400 could be gained in vouchers staggered over time (with reductions for each relapse made) were effective and cost effective."

It has been proven in Clinical Trials to improve the health of the baby and saves NHS money in the long run as less babies end up in the special care baby unit

bitontheslide 25-06-2021 09:04 AM

i didn't think there were many smokers anymore

Toy Soldier 25-06-2021 09:12 AM

Got to love a straight-up bribe :joker:.

If it's been proven to save money for the NHS in the long run though then :shrug:. Can't really argue with it. A shame that people need bribed though.

Toy Soldier 25-06-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11063917)
i didn't think there were many smokers anymore

They're all dirty Vapers these days. Wonder if it applies to that? Probably not if it's tobacco that's the problem rather than nicotine itself.

UserSince2005 25-06-2021 09:27 AM

tbh any pregnant woman found to be smoking needs an abortion and sterilisation. clearly not fit to be a parent.

Toy Soldier 25-06-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserSince2005 (Post 11063921)
tbh any pregnant woman found to be smoking needs an abortion and sterilisation. clearly not fit to be a parent.

Sadly cigarettes are the least of the problem. The number of babies born with an opiate addiction because the mother was taking heroin in pregnancy is actually shocking. Walk into any maternity ward in any hospital in the UK, at any time, and you're likely to find at least one example.

AnnieK 25-06-2021 09:57 AM

When I was having my son and was at Salford Royal for my booking in appointment, the midwife asked me how many I smoked a day - when I said none, I didn't smoke...she looked genuinely shocked. That's Salford for you. :laugh:

Toy Soldier 25-06-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 11063932)
When I was having my son and was at Salford Royal for my booking in appointment, the midwife asked me how many I smoked a day - when I said none, I didn't smoke...she looked genuinely shocked. That's Salford for you. :laugh:

My wife had a GP who absolutely REFUSED to believe she wasn't a smoker, because she had been to visit her grandad before the appointment and absolutely stank head to toe of cigarette smoke. She was only in his house for 5 minutes, but that place had cigarette smell baked into the brickwork :joker:. When we used to visit with the kids we'd have to wash what they were wearing twice afterwards because the smell would still be there after the first wash :umm2:.

bitontheslide 25-06-2021 10:24 AM

does anyone remember the smoking carriage in trains or the back 3 rows of a plane, where you didnt need to light a cigarette, you just needed to breathe :laugh:

AnnieK 25-06-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11063955)
does anyone remember the smoking carriage in trains or the back 3 rows of a plane, where you didnt need to light a cigarette, you just needed to breathe :laugh:

Yeah, its crazy to think not that long ago you could smoke upstairs on the bus - we all used to have a crafty cig on the way to school :laugh: and on planes and trains.

It seems alien now to think that people used to smoke inside pubs and restaurants. You could never beat getting your main course as the table next to you all lit up :yuk:

LeatherTrumpet 25-06-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

and smoking on the tube too

bitontheslide 25-06-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 11063964)
and smoking on the tube too

that was just crazy. I remember people smoking on the wooden platforms and escalators and thought, this is mental, and then kings cross happened

rusticgal 25-06-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

I do....imagine having it now. I am an occassional smoker but I couldnt sit in a restaurant/pub/Aircraft with smoking going on around me...

rusticgal 25-06-2021 11:12 AM

As for this incentive...it may save the NHS money in the long run but the thought of a selfish pregnant woman being gifted with vouchers because she puts her needs in front of damaging the health of her unborn baby does not sit right with me...

Livia 26-06-2021 10:16 AM

I'm with Rustic on this one.

If a woman can't give up cigarettes for the sake of her baby, who's going to make sure she doesn't take the cash then continue smoking?

ThomasC 26-06-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11063916)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-quit-smoking/

Pregnant women are to be offered up to £400 of shopping vouchers to quit smoking, under new rules for the NHS.

Health Chiefs said the measure was proved to be "both effective and cost effective".

The scheme will be policed using biochemical tests to check whether participants have quit.

However, under the new guidance from The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice), the vouchers should be given out anyway when testing is too difficult due to the impact of Covid-19.

The scheme has already been tried in some areas, but its adoption by Nice obliges NHS services to consider offering it across the board.

The Royal College of Midwives has previously questioned schemes to incentivise behaviour change through monetary reward.

The guidance, which kicks in when women are referred to an NHS Stop Smoking Service or those run by bodies such as councils, public health teams and charities, said: "Evidence from the UK showed that schemes in which a maximum of around £400 could be gained in vouchers staggered over time (with reductions for each relapse made) were effective and cost effective."

It has been proven in Clinical Trials to improve the health of the baby and saves NHS money in the long run as less babies end up in the special care baby unit

I’m sorry, but is this good use of tax payers money?

If you want to have a baby then you bloody make that decision to stop. Having a baby should be enough

AnnieK 26-06-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 11064469)
I'm with Rustic on this one.

If a woman can't give up cigarettes for the sake of her baby, who's going to make sure she doesn't take the cash then continue smoking?

I agree. They have tried to account for it by saying the vouchers will be given in increments and the women tested and amounts reduced if they are tested but there will be ways around it.

If a baby is not a big enough incentive, I doubt a bit of cash will be :sad:

Amy Jade 26-06-2021 11:01 AM

This will be taken advantage of so easily.

bitontheslide 26-06-2021 11:02 AM

Basically the first thing the NHS is doing from conception, is removing the mothers responsibility for caring for the baby, which seems mighty odd to me. It's for the mother to take the right choices for her baby as these choices will apply through it's childhood and beyond

Toy Soldier 26-06-2021 11:19 AM

Pregnant woman to be given 400.00 from the NHS to stop smoking

It has been tested and found the reduce the financial strain on the NHS. Neonatal ICU stays cost upwards of 5 figures. In this case, that’s really all that matters, and the idea that the NHS should avoid efficient money saving measures “because of some vague thing that may or may not result” (in truth, it just catches in people’s throats a bit) is just a bit… I dunno. Reactionary and dumb, I suppose.

No one is saying it’ll make them better parents in the long run. It’ll improve infant health and reduce NHS financial burden. That is the goal… that is what’s been measured… the fact that they still might be crappy parents isn’t really relevant.

arista 26-06-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 11064500)
This will be taken advantage of so easily.

Yes

My Taxes going to Waste

Toy Soldier 26-06-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 11064528)
Yes

My Taxes going to Waste

Again, this has been studied and PROVEN to save money. So it saves money. Random laypeople saying “I don’t fink it saves any money” does not supercede the actual statistical data that proves it does.

arista 26-06-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11064535)
Again, this has been studied and PROVEN to save money. So it saves money. Random laypeople saying “I don’t fink it saves any money” does not supercede the actual statistical data that proves it does.

Proven by a how many that worked

And How Many Failed?

Tom4784 26-06-2021 03:06 PM

Deleted Post

Alf 26-06-2021 03:10 PM

You can buy loads of cigs with £400,000

Mmmmmm.lovely cigs!