ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech, Movies & Video Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   What is your IMDB cut off Point? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376703)

LeatherTrumpet 13-07-2021 07:13 PM

What is your IMDB cut off Point?

6.5 for me

https://static.amazon.jobs/teams/53/...jpg?1501027253

*mazedsalv** 13-07-2021 07:23 PM

Meh, don't take too much notice of it if it's over 5/10. I have seen some pretty good movie with around a 6 rating, and enjoyed them before more than 8/10 movies.

Nicky91 14-07-2021 08:04 AM

agree with Salv but i even enjoy movies with very low ratings, like 3 or 4

sometimes just because it are low budget movies doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable

however i do adore currently how a Camp Cretaceous for example gets a 8/10 rating, which is superb since it is animated, but also well deserved since it is very very enjoyable family entertainment series, and connects perfectly into the movie franchise, perfect into every small detail

low scoring movies i watched, most of which part of TheAsylum, on Syfy all of those really great enjoyable qualities, of course the acting isn't oscar material but still decent enough for low budget

bitontheslide 14-07-2021 08:37 AM

imdb is owned by Amazon who own and produce shows reviewed on imdb. Take from that what you want

Smithy 14-07-2021 08:38 AM

I don’t pay any attention to it

Marsh. 14-07-2021 08:39 AM

I don't decide what movies to watch based on other people's opinions.

I'm pretty good at figuring out if I'll enjoy a movie or not.

Niamh. 14-07-2021 09:22 AM

Probably 6ish but I actually find the % of people who liked the movie more accurate

Toy Soldier 14-07-2021 09:56 AM

I don’t have a cut off for watching, I generally find that anything over a 7 will be objectively “a good film” (well acted, good cinematography etc) and anything over a 6 can still be good but might be a bit divisive (I.e. it can be a good film that got panned by people who hated it for some specific reason or other).

Under a 6 it’s rare that the movie won’t have some obvious flaws BUT those movies can still be entertaining even if they’re not “great”, which is why I’d say low rating isn’t necessarily a reason not to watch. We’ve watched and enjoyed a few cheaply made horrors on “Shudder” for example that often score around the 5.5 range but are nonetheless entertaining, just a bit amateurish.

With TV series tbh anything under a 7 is probably not very watchable.

Ammi 14-07-2021 10:26 AM

…I don’t really have a one size fits all one, it depends on the movie genre and what the critic is as well….horror/scare movies aren’t my genre at all as a general…but if the storyline looks interesting or it has a high rating, I would watch it…if a horror has a low rating, my thoughts start to be that it might be more reliant on gore/slash than horror and scare and storyline, so I’d be reluctant to watch….the horrors I’ve liked tend to have been higher rating ones…

….with things like action genre as well, it can be a low rating because it doesn’t offer a great storyline or anything new…?…oh, it’s just ‘this actor’ kicking ass again like they did every other time…but sometimes that’s exactly what I want, I don’t want thought provoking etc, I just want kick ass action…lots of Nicholas Cage movies are very low rated, he can be so corny…but there are times when only a corny Nicholas Cage movie fits it….

Ammi 14-07-2021 10:26 AM

…does anyone do ratings themselves on IMDB…?…

Niamh. 14-07-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 11072877)
…does anyone do ratings themselves on IMDB…?…

I have done once or twice, not regularly though

Niamh. 14-07-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 11072876)
…I don’t really have a one size fits all one, it depends on the movie genre and what the critic is as well….horror/scare movies aren’t my genre at all as a general…but if the storyline looks interesting or it has a high rating, I would watch it…if a horror has a low rating, my thoughts start to be that it might be more reliant on gore/slash than horror and scare and storyline, so I’d be reluctant to watch….the horrors I’ve liked tend to have been higher rating ones…

….with things like action genre as well, it can be a low rating because it doesn’t offer a great storyline or anything new…?…oh, it’s just ‘this actor’ kicking ass again like they did every other time…but sometimes that’s exactly what I want, I don’t want thought provoking etc, I just want kick ass action…lots of Nicholas Cage movies are very low rated, he can be so corny…but there are times when only a corny Nicholas Cage movie fits it….

Yeah horrors get low ratings a lot and a lot of times I like them much more than what they're rated at

Toy Soldier 14-07-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11072886)
Yeah horrors get low ratings a lot and a lot of times I like them much more than what they're rated at

I think people rate them low for “silly” acting or cheap effects but those can be half the fun of a horror B-movie :shrug:

James 14-07-2021 10:45 AM

I used to rate my Lovefilm DVD rentals, but then it was closed down (by Amazon) and they were lost.

Niamh. 14-07-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11072887)
I think people rate them low for “silly” acting or cheap effects but those can be half the fun of a horror B-movie :shrug:

Speaking of "B" horror movies and Ammi mentioning Nicolas cage, have you watched Willy's Wonderland? It's...............something :laugh2:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...FgJYlNv4gsInj5

Nicky91 14-07-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11072875)
I don’t have a cut off for watching, I generally find that anything over a 7 will be objectively “a good film” (well acted, good cinematography etc) and anything over a 6 can still be good but might be a bit divisive (I.e. it can be a good film that got panned by people who hated it for some specific reason or other).

Under a 6 it’s rare that the movie won’t have some obvious flaws BUT those movies can still be entertaining even if they’re not “great”, which is why I’d say low rating isn’t necessarily a reason not to watch. We’ve watched and enjoyed a few cheaply made horrors on “Shudder” for example that often score around the 5.5 range but are nonetheless entertaining, just a bit amateurish.

With TV series tbh anything under a 7 is probably not very watchable.

''anything over a 7 is a good film''

:umm2:

not everything which has a good rating i did enjoy, also some of the ''oscar winners or nominees'' are deemed dull by me

Amy Jade 14-07-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11072890)
Speaking of "B" horror movies and Ammi mentioning Nicolas cage, have you watched Willy's Wonderland? It's...............something :laugh2:

Something bad sadly.

The Banana Splits is a much better anamatronics turned psycho horror

Toy Soldier 14-07-2021 02:21 PM

What is your IMDB cut off Point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 11072971)
''anything over a 7 is a good film''

:umm2:

not everything which has a good rating i did enjoy, also some of the ''oscar winners or nominees'' are deemed dull by me

An objectively good film doesn’t mean everyone will enjoy it… I can think of tonnes of films where I can appreciate that it’s well shot/the actors do a good job/the cinematography is good but I haven’t particularly enjoyed the film personally. And vice versa, there are films I like for various reasons that I can understand why some people dislike them.

I think you just have to understand that “you not personally liking something” doesn’t mean that that thing is “not good”.

I mean, I also dislike most seafood but some people love it. I’m not going to tell them they’re wrong and it’s horrible :laugh:

Amy Jade 14-07-2021 02:28 PM

I know of imdb but I'd never look at it for a ratings. The site has been pretty irrelevant since they closed the forums.

Ammi 14-07-2021 04:05 PM

…I’ll have to watch Willy’s Wonderland, I’ll put it on my list…:laugh:…one I recall, It might have been Season of the Witch…it got an awful review and around 12% on Rotten Tomatoes or something and I really liked it….sometimes you just want to watch rubbish….oooops…

Smithy 14-07-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11072890)

Charlie and the chocolate factory sequel look ****

ThomasC 14-07-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11072984)
An objectively good film doesn’t mean everyone will enjoy it… I can think of tonnes of films where I can appreciate that it’s well shot/the actors do a good job/the cinematography is good but I haven’t particularly enjoyed the film personally. And vice versa, there are films I like for various reasons that I can understand why some people dislike them.

I think you just have to understand that “you not personally liking something” doesn’t mean that that thing is “not good”.

I mean, I also dislike most seafood but some people love it. I’m not going to tell them they’re wrong and it’s horrible :laugh:

There's no such thing as an objectively good film. There's subjectively good films based on the viewer.

Objectively as in not influenced by thought or feeling.

Who decides a film is objectively good? no one so it is subjectively good if that is your opinion.

ThomasC 14-07-2021 07:01 PM

As for cut offs. i don't really take notice of IMBD.

LOads of films which are highly rated have made me feel asleep.

It's all the same **** these days. So much lacks thrill. You spend half your evening trying to find something decent to watch.

If it's not numerous drug cartels or Jason Bourne's, it's unfunny comedies or sappy ****e.

ThomasC 14-07-2021 07:03 PM

Sausage Party is worth a watch ONCE,

LOTS OF WILLIES.

Shaun 14-07-2021 07:05 PM

I do use IMDb to rate films but I don't really take notice of the ratings until after I've watched one. Then again, I'm only really likely to watch something if I've heard good things about it / the cast/directors are good.