ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health, Beauty & Fashion (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=630)
-   -   antidepressant discontinuation syndrome (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376955)

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 24-07-2021 01:17 PM

antidepressant discontinuation syndrome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti...ation_syndrome

i’ve self-diagnosed this like i deffo have it

https://i.imgur.com/rQqqoM3.jpg

i was on venlafaxine 225MG for 6+ years and did a gradual reduction of 37.5MG per week and i took my last dose 11 days ago and appaz it lasts for like 3 weeks usually so i have another 10 days to go

Oliver_W 24-07-2021 01:41 PM

Keep at it! You got this!

Ammi 24-07-2021 02:24 PM

…Are you withdrawing from you medication with medical guidance and help, Scott…?…I’m just reading some stuff now and what you’re experiencing might be because of a ‘sudden or abrupt stopping’ is what it says…it will probably be a medication group that needs other medical balances while you’re reducing with this, rather than just a cold stop….I don’t know which symptoms you specifically are having and how you’re feeling…not great, maybe..?…

AnnieK 24-07-2021 02:27 PM

After my mum died the doctor put me on Citalopram. I didn't want to take it really so after 12 months I just stopped taking it. Bad move, I had like weird electric shock feelings in my brain. Took ages to sort itself out

Ammi 24-07-2021 02:32 PM

…yeah I did have someone else say to me about that ‘electric shock sensation’, Annie…and presumably because you needed balancing medication for the withdrawal….?…Scott, are you doing the withdrawal with the GP my love…?..

Ammi 24-07-2021 02:50 PM

…I’ve messaged you, Scott…you’ve done amazingly with your reduction to the low dose…:hug:…so well done, be proud of yourself…you may need something to help how you’re feeling now….but you may not, you’ve got through a huge part of that final bit as well…amazing you…:love:..

thesheriff443 24-07-2021 03:03 PM

Just remember Scott the chemicals that where lacking before may still be lacking, you have chemicals still in your system so you may have to go back on meds when they leave your system.

Good luck with everything but if things get to much go back on your meds.

hijaxers 24-07-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 11077145)
After my mum died the doctor put me on Citalopram. I didn't want to take it really so after 12 months I just stopped taking it. Bad move, I had like weird electric shock feelings in my brain. Took ages to sort itself out

Same here Annie it was about 2 years before the 'electric shock' feelings stopped. When i discussed with my doctor i actually described it as being sizzled and she laughed at me !! Worst time ever withdrawing from that ! and it never worked anyway.

LeatherTrumpet 24-07-2021 05:58 PM

isnt this called cold turkey?

LaLaLand 24-07-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 11077145)

I was on Citalopram/Sertraline on and off for years and stopped suddenly once -never again.

I had those brain shivers, terrifying. Also had random vertigo bouts and stomach issues too.

The worst bit for me is how those tablets ruined my teeth. I used to have lovely teeth and now they’re awful. Had four out last year and loads of fillings just because of those tablets. Also affected my coordination for a while too.

Marsh. 24-07-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 11077241)
isnt this called cold turkey?

No, cold turkey is not a gradual reduction.

LeatherTrumpet 24-07-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 11077283)
No, cold turkey is not a gradual reduction.

ah yes

parmnion 24-07-2021 07:38 PM

Just take an ambient an hour before bed...everything will be cool.

Toy Soldier 24-07-2021 11:50 PM

My mum once had a full-on seizure from SSRI withdrawals (venlafaxine I believe). Like she almost bit through her tongue and ended up in hospital for a week… that sort of seizure :umm2:.

I think she was in pretty high doses though, and she ran out at the start of a bank holiday weekend and couldn’t find a way to get any “as an emergency” so went full cold turkey.

Ammi 25-07-2021 06:32 AM

…you are so doing amazingly, Scott…:love:…today will be yet one more day of the withdrawal symptoms behind you and one less in front of you to still go through….you’re doing this…:hug:…

ThomasC 25-07-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLand (Post 11077275)
I was on Citalopram/Sertraline on and off for years and stopped suddenly once -never again.

I had those brain shivers, terrifying. Also had random vertigo bouts and stomach issues too.

The worst bit for me is how those tablets ruined my teeth. I used to have lovely teeth and now they’re awful. Had four out last year and loads of fillings just because of those tablets. Also affected my coordination for a while too.

I have been on both of what you describe and am still on citalopram.

I have no issues with my teeth other than the odd fillings. I get lots of compliments on my teeth so maybe you've just been unlucky or there are other causes unrelated.

Different medication reacts different with different people.

Scott, well done. The reduction you're taking is gradual and you will get some withdrawal symptoms regardless, not always, but most likely. They just won't be as severe because of the tapered reduction.

I have tried to come off SSRI in the past and it doesn't work for me personally. I am lacking serotonin so I need that chemical to function. Just like you would if you had a lack of iron, vitamin d etc.

Good luck.

ThomasC 25-07-2021 04:13 PM

The other thing to remember is the half life of the drug which in essence is how long it stays in your system. SO for citalopram it stays in your body 35 hours which means if you miss just one dose it is effectively half out your body.

For venaflaxine, it is even shorter at 5-7 hours, but depends whether short release or prolonged.... prolonged you're looking at around 7-13 hours etc and many combining factors such as dosage and how long you have been on the medication.

ThomasC 25-07-2021 04:39 PM

i'm probably going to be fed up/depressed for next few days as I've been drinking, but oh well, can't stop living!

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 26-07-2021 01:01 AM

yeah the doctor actually mentioned the half-life thing i found it so confusing coz like if it only stays in your system for 5 hours wouldn’t that mean you need a dose every 5 hours idk

ThomasC 26-07-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetch The Bolt Cutters (Post 11077695)
yeah the doctor actually mentioned the half-life thing i found it so confusing coz like if it only stays in your system for 5 hours wouldn’t that mean you need a dose every 5 hours idk

No.

If the half life is 5 then it takes 5 hours for half of that remaining drug to be left in your body.

So after 10 hours that drug will no longer be in your system....HOWEVER, this is only really in theory because of your body's mechanics.

Hence why it can take a while to get in your system, it can take a while to get out. Also hence it depends on how long you have been on the drug, dose etc.

I'm no psychiatrist though so always take the advice of your clinician which you are doing. Not that I am advising anything.

Toy Soldier 09-08-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasC (Post 11077965)
No.

If the half life is 5 then it takes 5 hours for half of that remaining drug to be left in your body.

So after 10 hours that drug will no longer be in your system....

No, a halflife with meds is just the same principle as radiation halflife - it's the time it takes to half.

If the halflife is 5 hours, then after 5 hours there is 50% left, after 10 hours there is 25% left, after 15 hours there is 12.5% left, 20 hours 6.25%. ... etc.

It will take about 36 hours a drug with a 5 hour halflife probably won't be having any noticable effect on the body - it'll still be detectable in the bloodstream for over a week.

Interestingly this is why people on heroin are so ****ed up by it... it has a halflife of 5 minutes. So after 5 minutes the effect has dropped a lot, by half an hour after shooting up, the effect of the opiates is all but gone, and only shows in drug testing at all for 24-48h.

'tis also why most heroin addicts "supplement" with heavy Valium use. can have up to a 48hr half life so basically stays active for days, and detectable for weeks.

ThomasC 12-08-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11082255)
No, a halflife with meds is just the same principle as radiation halflife - it's the time it takes to half.

If the halflife is 5 hours, then after 5 hours there is 50% left, after 10 hours there is 25% left, after 15 hours there is 12.5% left, 20 hours 6.25%. ... etc.

It will take about 36 hours a drug with a 5 hour halflife probably won't be having any noticable effect on the body - it'll still be detectable in the bloodstream for over a week.

Interestingly this is why people on heroin are so ****ed up by it... it has a halflife of 5 minutes. So after 5 minutes the effect has dropped a lot, by half an hour after shooting up, the effect of the opiates is all but gone, and only shows in drug testing at all for 24-48h.

'tis also why most heroin addicts "supplement" with heavy Valium use. can have up to a 48hr half life so basically stays active for days, and detectable for weeks.

Which is basically what I said... It's the time it takes to half. Although my maths are out, not my strong point.

Ninastar 12-08-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11077419)
My mum once had a full-on seizure from SSRI withdrawals (venlafaxine I believe). Like she almost bit through her tongue and ended up in hospital for a week… that sort of seizure :umm2:.

I think she was in pretty high doses though, and she ran out at the start of a bank holiday weekend and couldn’t find a way to get any “as an emergency” so went full cold turkey.

I take this and I have days where I forget to take it because brain fog, but the days I forget I’m a mess by the end of the day and can barely keep it together before having a mini breakdown in the evening

arista 12-08-2021 10:27 AM

Tough Time For Scott.

Let's hope better days
are on the way.

Toy Soldier 16-08-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasC (Post 11083165)
Which is basically what I said... It's the time it takes to half. Although my maths are out, not my strong point.

No you said that because half of it is gone after 5 hours, the other half would be gone after 10 hours (no drug left in your system), which isn't right, it "halfs again" (and again and again) so after 10 hours, 25% of the dose is still present. It's also why drugs like basic painkillers have both a "minimum interval" (usually 4 hours) and a "maximum in 24 hours" - because the amount in your system can have reduced to the point where it's far less effective after 4 hours, but it is still present, so if you don't stick with the "max dose in 24h" rules and simply keep repeating every 4 hours, you can end up with a sort of "backlog build up" in the bloodstream and an unhappy liver/kidneys trying to process it.