ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech, Movies & Video Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Harry Potter Movies!! (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376981)

Oliver_W 25-07-2021 07:24 PM

Harry Potter Movies!!

Are being shown on weekends on ITV!!

Prisoner of Azkaban is today's, and it's definitely the best directed of all of them.

As a kid I never noticed how awesome the adult cast are. While a fair few don't match how I imagine them, they're all great actors, real stars.

Marsh. 25-07-2021 07:25 PM

You say it like itv don't play them on a constant loop. :think:

MTVN 25-07-2021 08:36 PM

Is Daniel Radcliffe a great actor :think:

LeatherTrumpet 25-07-2021 08:41 PM

kill them with fire and read a bloody book

LaLaLand 25-07-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 11077624)
You say it like itv don't play them on a constant loop. :think:

This! Sick of it.

And ITV2’s obsession with showing Hot Fuzz at least once a week!?

Saph 25-07-2021 09:50 PM

they're literally always on? and The Hobbit

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLand (Post 11077651)
This! Sick of it.

And ITV2’s obsession with showing Hot Fuzz at least once a week!?

When I was in my early 20’s I worked somewhere that was open until 10 but really quiet from 6 onwards… we had a TV but it was stuck on ITV2. They showed “The Mummy Returns” like 4 nights a week for months. I knew that film word for word…

Ammi 26-07-2021 07:28 AM

…it doesn’t matter how many times they’re shown, Oliver…you hold on to that excitement and watch each one like it’s your first time…:love:..

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 09:24 AM

3 is literally the worst movie though.

Niamh. 26-07-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11077767)

It's my favourite of the lot :oh: I like a bit of time travel

Ammi 26-07-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11077767)

…yeah like Midsommar is a great 9/10 movie…hush up ya face, you…

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11077769)
It's my favourite of the lot :oh: I like a bit of time travel

Me too if it's a time-travel sci-fi genre but in this case it's nonsense Deus Ex Machina in this case :hmph:. The fact that it's possible means Dark Wizards would be using it constantly.

Jordan. 26-07-2021 09:28 AM

1-4 the only ones worth watching. The latter films are just grim and boring.

Niamh. 26-07-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 11077770)
…yeah like Midsommar is a great 9/10 movie…hush up ya face, you…

Oh I watched that at the weekend. I still can't decide if I liked it or not :laugh: It reminded me a lot of the Wicker Man. I think I'd give it a 6/10

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan. (Post 11077772)
1-4 the only ones worth watching. The latter films are just grim and boring.

4 is easily the best and 1 + 2 are cute in their own different way. 5 doesn't really work as a movie because the entire book is exposition (though I quite liked the book, long as it is) ... 6 is filler both book and movie, everything in it could have been spread across other entries ... and book 7 :hmph: don't get me started on that.

Rowling quite clearly wrote book 7 with the movies in the back of her head and it shows in the book. The book reads like movie scripting. Thus, I thought the films were decent enough, but the book doesn't sit right with the rest of the series at all. It should have been 1/3 longer and another 1/3 less "Hollywood action scenes".

Hagrid's flying motorbike death eater chase scene... come on :idc:. Too Fast Too Magic Motorbike. It works on screen, it is awful to read.

Ammi 26-07-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11077776)
Oh I watched that at the weekend. I still can't decide if I liked it or not :laugh: It reminded me a lot of the Wicker Man. I think I'd give it a 6/10

…I probably was a bit mean in the rating amount …but the emotional connection just wasn’t there for me so there was nothing to attach to of any ‘human quality’….even serial killer minds I can get absorbed in and find a point of human and similar with some psychological horror…but not this…

bitontheslide 26-07-2021 10:11 AM

i bought the whole HP collection in a deal so i can stream them whenever i want :smug:

Niamh. 26-07-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 11077789)
…I probably was a bit mean in the rating amount …but the emotional connection just wasn’t there for me so there was nothing to attach to of any ‘human quality’….even serial killer minds I can get absorbed in and find a point of human and similar with some psychological horror…but not this…

Yeah, I suppose though it was supposed to be like that, like a cult, like the only reason is "offerings" rather than blood lust kind of a thing

Shaun 26-07-2021 10:56 AM

....each HP film has been shown on ITV at least 30 times

Oliver_W 26-07-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11077771)
Me too if it's a time-travel sci-fi genre but in this case it's nonsense Deus Ex Machina in this case :hmph:. The fact that it's possible means Dark Wizards would be using it constantly.

But they don't use it, because if they did they already would have, so they can't make changes because the time passed and they didn't do it!

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 11077826)
But they don't use it, because if they did they already would have, so they can't make changes because the time passed and they didn't do it!

Exactly. What is stopping them using it, if it exists and is simple enough that it can be handed out to a school kid? They essentially STOP using it because Dumbledore realises that it's a bad idea to **** about with time, don't they? But what's stopping a Dark Wizard with no moral code? The fact that it's established as existing IS the entire problem... just look at any sci fi or fantasy that involves time travel: they always end up needing a "filter" to stop it being a narrative disaster. That's why for example DC has things like "Flashpoint" (to teach The Flash not to mess with time even though he can), and things like the Legends (whose entire remit is keeping time roughly on track when villains try to mess with it)... Terminator basically establishes that trying to change the future is futile... Back To The Future has Doc Brown realise that it's a can of worms and gets Marty to destroy the time machine (then inexplicably throws caution to the eind and builds another)...

The list goes on but essentially "if time travel is possible you have to close the loop". It could be done relatively easily in the HP universe I suppose. Just make it that it's only permitted for "frivolous" things and have there be a Ministry department mysterious, benevolent, all-powerful group of future-wizards!! that exists purely to put things back on track if anyone ****s around, so no one bothers.

But in this case, we know that wizards CAN time travel, but just... don't... with no explanation :nono:.

I might write to JK and demand answers. She can just make something up and stick it on that Potter website, then it's canon and I can relax :fist:.

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 01:51 PM

I actually like this head-canon and I'm going with it. Countless dark wizards have sent themselves back in time to kill Harry Potter, Terminator style, but NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT IT because there's a taskforce of magical future commandos that swats them like flies as soon as they try, using their superior future-magic. :omgno:

James 26-07-2021 01:52 PM

I only watched the first one. I thought it was okay, but too long, like they tried to put as much from the book in as they could.

Toy Soldier 26-07-2021 01:52 PM

:omgno: :omgno: And Dumbledore WAS one of these commandos when he was younger which is why he seems to know everything before it happens. Guys this is Harry Potter 2.0 right here.

Niamh. 26-07-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11077870)
Exactly. What is stopping them using it, if it exists and is simple enough that it can be handed out to a school kid? They essentially STOP using it because Dumbledore realises that it's a bad idea to **** about with time, don't they? But what's stopping a Dark Wizard with no moral code? The fact that it's established as existing IS the entire problem... just look at any sci fi or fantasy that involves time travel: they always end up needing a "filter" to stop it being a narrative disaster. That's why for example DC has things like "Flashpoint" (to teach The Flash not to mess with time even though he can), and things like the Legends (whose entire remit is keeping time roughly on track when villains try to mess with it)... Terminator basically establishes that trying to change the future is futile... Back To The Future has Doc Brown realise that it's a can of worms and gets Marty to destroy the time machine (then inexplicably throws caution to the eind and builds another)...

The list goes on but essentially "if time travel is possible you have to close the loop". It could be done relatively easily in the HP universe I suppose. Just make it that it's only permitted for "frivolous" things and have there be a Ministry department mysterious, benevolent, all-powerful group of future-wizards!! that exists purely to put things back on track if anyone ****s around, so no one bothers.

But in this case, we know that wizards CAN time travel, but just... don't... with no explanation :nono:.

I might write to JK and demand answers. She can just make something up and stick it on that Potter website, then it's canon and I can relax :fist:.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/22c32e03...f36e9c107.gifv