ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Russell T Davies returns as Doctor Who Showrunner (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377929)

Jarrod 24-09-2021 02:28 PM

Russell T Davies returns as Doctor Who Showrunner

BBC confirmed:

Quote:

Screenwriter Russell T Davies is to take charge again of Doctor Who, the sci-fi show he helped revive in 2005.

Davies, who was the fantasy drama's showrunner until 2009, will take over when Chris Chibnall departs next year.

"I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show," said Davies, who resumes his role as the show prepares to mark its 60th anniversary in 2023.

One of his first responsibilities will be to decide who takes over the Tardis following Jodie Whittaker's exit.

The actress is set to hang up her Sonic Screwdriver after one more six-part series and three 2022 specials.

"There's a whole series of Jodie Whittaker's brilliant Doctor for me to enjoy, with my friend and hero Chris Chibnall at the helm," Davies continued. "I'm still a viewer for now."

Chibnall said it was "monumentally exciting and fitting" that Davies would be back in charge for the series' 60th birthday.

"Russell built the baton that is about to be handed back to him," the writer and producer continued.

"Doctor Who, the BBC, the screen industry in Wales, and let's be honest everyone in the whole world, have so many reasons to be very excited indeed about what lies ahead."

Davies revived Doctor Who in its current incarnation with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and remained for the duration of David Tennant's tenure.

Steven Moffatt took over when Matt Smith became the Doctor, staying to supervise Peter Capaldi's stint as TV's indefatigable Time Lord.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58682472

Mystic Mock 24-09-2021 02:40 PM

Well at least he'll try to develop his characters and try to tell entertaining stories unlike Chibnall imo.

Oliver_W 24-09-2021 02:55 PM

Omg!!! I just sprayed everywhere

Oliver_W 24-09-2021 04:24 PM

I hope he brings back Murray Gold. The current composer is shhiiiiiiiiite.

joeysteele 24-09-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 11097676)
Well at least he'll try to develop his characters and try to tell entertaining stories unlike Chibnall imo.

I agree Mock.
Be interesting too now to see who is chosen for the role.

Mystic Mock 24-09-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 11097760)
I agree Mock.
Be interesting too now to see who is chosen for the role.

I'm guessing it'll be Olly Alexander.

joeysteele 24-09-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 11097769)
I'm guessing it'll be Olly Alexander.

Really, him from It's a Sin.
Actually that could be an ideal choice.

Mystic Mock 24-09-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 11097771)
Really, him from It's a Sin.
Actually that could be an ideal choice.

I've not watched It's A Sin personally, but I'll definitely take your word for it Joey.

Plus I'm gathering that Russell T Davies will try and recreate the popularity of It's A Sin by casting people from that Show to do Doctor Who, but I could be wrong.

joeysteele 24-09-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 11097785)
I've not watched It's A Sin personally, but I'll definitely take your word for it Joey.

Plus I'm gathering that Russell T Davies will try and recreate the popularity of It's A Sin by casting people from that Show to do Doctor Who, but I could be wrong.

I think he could combine humour and being a bit zany while having the serious side too.
It could work.
Equally I could be wrong too.

To some he may be too over the top, if he was a possible prospect, then again I think the role of Doctor Who, perhaps needs at times a natural at being over the top.

I'm not an avid Dr Who viewer, much less so with the last one.
He may get me looking in on it again.

Who would you like to see be in with a chance of it Mock, if you have a preference.
You generally have a good feel on casting in roles.

Strictly Jake 24-09-2021 08:04 PM

I'd cast Stephen Graham!

Mystic Mock 24-09-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 11097793)
I think he could combine humour and being a bit zany while having the serious side too.
It could work.
Equally I could be wrong too.

To some he may be too over the top, if he was a possible prospect, then again I think the role of Doctor Who, perhaps needs at times a natural at being over the top.

I'm not an avid Dr Who viewer, much less so with the last one.
He may get me looking in on it again.

Who would you like to see be in with a chance of it Mock, if you have a preference.
You generally have a good feel on casting in roles.

I feel like James Callis could be a good pick from Battlestar Galactica.

I'd also consider Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as he did a really good performance as Jaime Lannister on GOT, imo an underrated actor.

Saph 24-09-2021 08:24 PM

bring back jackie x

Ashley. 25-09-2021 05:37 AM

Great news... he really did it best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 11097818)
I feel like James Callis could be a good pick from Battlestar Galactica.

I'd also consider Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as he did a really good performance as Jaime Lannister on GOT, imo an underrated actor.

On the subject of GoT actors I think Kit Harrington would be a great choice