ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gay marriage (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378334)

Redway 19-10-2021 03:24 PM

Gay marriage

This might seem like an unquestionably basic right that any two (wo)men should have but in reality it infringes on the beliefs of many religious institutions so it’s open for debate even in 2021. What are your thoughts?

parmnion 19-10-2021 03:27 PM

You ain't allowed thoughts on this subject on TIBB.

Redway 19-10-2021 03:29 PM

I say option one isn’t the best idea because rampant (and to the lay Brit. very extreme) homophobia (or at least disapproval of homosexuality) is the norm in a lot of churches (and mosques without a doubt). Forcing those institutions to marry two men would be an infringement on their own rights.

Redway 19-10-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 11104779)

TiBB’s been anything but left-leaning in the past couple of years so it is what it is, innit. I’m sure the worst of it as far as this topic goes would’ve been said years ago (when there were more members with hot/controversial opinions actively posting).

LeatherTrumpet 19-10-2021 03:37 PM

Yes I think the gays should suffer as well

Toy Soldier 19-10-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 11104780)
I say option one isn’t the best idea because rampant (and to the lay Brit. very extreme) homophobia (or at least disapproval of homosexuality) is the norm in a lot of churches (and mosques without a doubt). Forcing those institutions to marry two men would be an infringement on their own rights.

There's no point forcing the issue with churches that would be doing it "because they have to" - and why would anyone even want to be married under those circumstances? That said, in my benevolent dictatorial utopia, I'd just Thanos-snap organised religion out of the equation entirely. Spiritualism/philosophical theology I have no real issue with but the actual dogmatic organised institutions ... ? Nah, that can go.

Niamh. 19-10-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11104787)
There's no point forcing the issue with churches that would be doing it "because they have to" - and why would anyone even want to be married under those circumstances? That said, in my benevolent dictatorial utopia, I'd just Thanos-snap organised religion out of the equation entirely. Spiritualism/philosophical theology I have no real issue with but the actual dogmatic organised institutions ... ? Nah, that can go.

Yeah agree with this. Organised religions are sexist and homophobic for the most part

joeysteele 19-10-2021 04:01 PM

I think churches need to look at why in various accounts at least two thirds of marriages are now in registry offices NOT their churches.

Their houses seem to be in great disorder.

Gay marriage is legal in the UK.
Personally I'd doubt a high percentage of those wishing to marry, who are gay, would want to marry in a religious setting.

However, if religions use their church settings to discriminate against a legal union between individuals.
Then those religions will lose even more influence of the little they have now, particularly as to Christianity.

I voted the second option however I do feel in time, unless the attitude changes, churches will lose more and more of its congregations yet.
Deservedly so.

Redway 19-10-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11104787)

A lot of gay people (you’d see what I mean if you’d been a bit more exposed to people from different cultural backgrounds) still want to marry at their respective religious institutions for familial (or, again, cultural) reasons. That’s something I can sympathise with but I can also at least empathise with the church/mosque figures who refuse to marry them off.

I think your opinions about spirituality and how deeply-rooted it can be as far as familial works go (including marriage) is very Western-oriented so I don’t blame you for adopting that kind of approach. But know that your experiences aren’t the same as that of a lesbian Nigerian-Brit. who faces ostracisation from her community (more than you’d ever know) but is still brave enough to stand up for what she wants anyway. Or a gay Muslim lad who’d face deportation and rank abuse for coming out but still has respect for his religion. Those are things you can’t even begin to appreciate when you’re sat behind your screen presenting a holier-than-thou stance and obviously don’t have much real experience dealing with conflicted LGBT millennials from non-Western indigenous cultures.

Glenn. 19-10-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 11104779)

You mean your homophobic remarks aren’t allowed

Glenn. 19-10-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 11104792)
I think churches need to look at why in various accounts at least two thirds of marriages are now in registry offices NOT their churches.

Their houses seem to be in great disorder.

Gay marriage is legal in the UK.
Personally I'd doubt a high percentage of those wishing to marry, who are gay, would want to marry in a religious setting.

However, if religions use their church settings to discriminate against a legal union between individuals.
Then those religions will lose even more influence of the little they have now, particularly as to Christianity.

I voted the second option however I do feel in time, unless the attitude changes, churches will lose more and more of its congregations yet.
Deservedly so.

:clap1:

hijaxers 19-10-2021 06:31 PM

My daughter is marrying her partner Maddie next year, excellent news we are very happy for them.

Livia 19-10-2021 06:46 PM

All the Abrahamic religions are of the mind that marriage is between a man and a woman. I don't see why people should alter their religious beliefs unless all religions are required to do the same. Some Christians may eventually agree, I'm not sure Catholics would and I'm pretty sure Jews and Muslims would never accept it. I couldn't marry in a synagogue because my OH wasn't a Jew, I can't imagine what they'd have said if he had been a woman. All that said, I was best woman at my friend's same sex wedding and they are one of the happiest married couples I know. So in conclusion, I am 100% for gay people being allowed to marry the people they love. I don't think religions will ever accept it nor do I think they should be made to.

thesheriff443 19-10-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijaxers (Post 11104867)
My daughter is marrying her partner Maddie next year, excellent news we are very happy for them.

Congratulations

Livia 19-10-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Lovely news x

LeatherTrumpet 19-10-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Get the news in early its a paying bar

:joker:

hijaxers 19-10-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesheriff443 (Post 11104872)
Congratulations

Thankyou Sheriff .

Cherie 19-10-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Lovely news x

thesheriff443 19-10-2021 07:02 PM

I have two good friends and both have a son and daughter and they are all gay has anyone else have any friends were more than one of their children are gay ?

As to gay marriage I’m all for it.

hijaxers 19-10-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 11104873)
Lovely news x

Yes it is everyone's happy , especially as Maddie's surrogacy went well giving Richard and Alex the child they've longed for .

LeatherTrumpet 19-10-2021 07:10 PM

Personally, I would not marry a woman who is gay but i can see the attraction as the whole sex thing is a minefield and frankly i am happier watching Netflix tbh

Cherie 19-10-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijaxers (Post 11104888)
Yes it is everyone's happy , especially as Maddie's surrogacy went well giving Richard and Alex the child they've longed for .

That was such a lovely joyful programme to watch

hijaxers 19-10-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11104890)
That was such a lovely joyful programme to watch

Oh Cherie its proved so worthwhile Maddies 2 boys were begging them to get married and they are all so happy it is really joyous.

smudgie 19-10-2021 07:51 PM

Church weddings...meh.
It depends on what you want I suppose, gay or not.:shrug:

LaLaLand 19-10-2021 07:57 PM

It shouldn’t even be an issue this day in age.

There’s so much doom and gloom and horrific stuff going on every day in this world (religion included) that two people wanting to celebrate their love together, regardless of gender, and be happy should be celebrated.

Same goes for gay adoption, which is still unnecessarily taboo.