ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ricky Gervais has revealed he wants to get 'cancelled' (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379620)

Niamh. 01-02-2022 12:31 PM

Ricky Gervais has revealed he wants to get 'cancelled'

Ricky Gervais has revealed he wants to get 'cancelled' and is keen to push boundaries as far as he can with his long-awaited return to stand-up comedy.

The actor, 60, has admitted he's determined to turn up the shock-factor, even if it has a negative impact on is long-term career prospects.

He told Heat: 'One thing I've decided to definitely do, and can't wait to start on, is my new stand-up show, which is going to be called Armageddon.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/01...3651034145.jpg

'I'm treating it like it's my last one ever. It won't be, but I want to put everything into it. I want to try and get cancelled. No, I just want to go all-out there.

'It's about the end of the world and how we're going to destroy ourselves for lots of reasons, whether it's media stupidity, or the actual end of the world.'

Confessing his excitement at creating a new series for Netflix known, Ricky said he turned down the opportunity to write a fourth installment of After Life.

He made the surprise decision in favour of a new project, although he said he gives his 'permission' for his co-stars to reprise their roles in a spin-off season.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/01...3651554800.jpg

Singing from the same hymn book, The Office star went on to tell WSJ Magazine that he believes nothing should be off-limits in comedy.

He bravely said: 'There's no subject you shouldn't joke about. It depends on the joke.

'As a journalist, there's nothing you wouldn't write about. It depends on your angle, right? I think a lot of this pious offense comes from people mistaking the target of the joke with the subject.
'You can joke about anything, but it depends on what the actual target is. If you use irony and people see that at face value and think you're saying one thing but you're actually saying the opposite.'

Ricky plays grieving local newspaper journalist Tony in After Life as he begins to have his spirits lifted by his adoring support network.

The the black comedy-drama is set in the small fictitious town of Tambury and explores Tony's struggle with immense grief for his wife.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Ci3WGuRlJe6Oz4

Toy Soldier 01-02-2022 01:49 PM

People who are already wealthy/famous don't get cancelled, especially if they're white men. That's not me trying to be "woke" it's just an observation of the facts; someone like Ricky Gervais is just far far less at risk of any sort of backlash or online pile-on than most.

Nicky91 01-02-2022 01:54 PM

Ricky can easily say this, since he already has many millions in his bank account :joker: :joker:

Niamh. 01-02-2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11134054)
People who are already wealthy/famous don't get cancelled, especially if they're white men. That's not me trying to be "woke" it's just an observation of the facts; someone like Ricky Gervais is just far far less at risk of any sort of backlash or online pile-on than most.

True although not just rich white men tbf. Dave Chapelle survived pretty well too

bitontheslide 01-02-2022 02:13 PM

he has been on the edge all through his career. He is just not the type that the hoard will go after

Niamh. 01-02-2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11134060)
he has been on the edge all through his career. He is just not the type that the hoard will go after

Why do you think that is? I get what you're saying though, it's not necessarily just because he's white I think(although maybe that helps too). maybe because he just laughs it off when people say stuff about him like that time Frankie Boyle (FRANKIE BOYLE of all people!) tried to say one of his jokes was going for "low hanging fruit"

glib 01-02-2022 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 11134054)

Piers Morgan…

glib 01-02-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11134063)
Why do you think that is? I get what you're saying though, it's not necessarily just because he's white I think(although maybe that helps too). maybe because he just laughs it off when people say stuff about him like that time Frankie Boyle (FRANKIE BOYLE of all people!) tried to say one of his jokes was going for "low hanging fruit"

Are you saying only POC get ‘cancelled’, or do you not know the meaning of the word

bitontheslide 01-02-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11134063)

I think the people that get attacked have a particular profile, it's kind of difficult to explain. I don't think its got anything to do with race or gender.

Niamh. 01-02-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glib (Post 11134074)
Are you saying only POC get ‘cancelled’, or do you not know the meaning of the word

That isn't what I'm saying no, must be the Irish accent confusing you again :smug:

Niamh. 01-02-2022 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11134075)
I think the people that get attacked have a particular profile, it's kind of difficult to explain. I don't think its got anything to do with race or gender.

hhhmmmm I do think women are more likely to get a worse hammering than men though

glib 01-02-2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11134076)
That isn't what I'm saying no, must be the Irish accent confusing you again :smug:

‘Hes not the type the hoard will go after’

to which you replied

‘It’s not necessarily just because he’s white’

parmnion 01-02-2022 03:31 PM

If jimmy Carr can survive his dark material then ricky has no chance

Mystic Mock 01-02-2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11134057)
True although not just rich white men tbf. Dave Chapelle survived pretty well too

According to the Netflix protesters isn't Dave Chapelle racist towards black people?:laugh2:

Tbh though cancel culture needs to be stopped, I personally can't agree with Ricky Gervais plan on this one where he is encouraging it.

UserSince2005 01-02-2022 03:56 PM

its not hard to get cancelled, if he wants it so bad he could literally tweet one word and it be done.
What a load of crap he talks.

Toy Soldier 01-02-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11134077)
hhhmmmm I do think women are more likely to get a worse hammering than men though

This is (in large part) because of the "expectation of agreeability" - women are expected to be comforting/soft/accommodating of others and if they're seen as being anything other than that then, well, they are obviously terribly in the wrong and must be torn down. The same expectations simply don't exist for men and thus, they don't break the "rules" by being skeptical or (in those people's view) "unsympathetic".

Basically history is jam-packed with examples of women being persecuted for not complying with their "expected role" (i.e. the literal and metaphorical "mother").

GoldHeart 01-02-2022 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 11134094)
According to the Netflix protesters isn't Dave Chapelle racist towards black people?:laugh2:

Tbh though cancel culture needs to be stopped, I personally can't agree with Ricky Gervais plan on this one where he is encouraging it.

Question is where else can Gervais go with boundaries?? . He never had a filter anyway :shrug:.

I'm not a fan of all his material,but I actually enjoyed his stuff with Karl Pilkington ( even though we know Karl was getting the ratings there with his one liners) .

I liked the first series of Afterlife,but haven't seen the second or third yet. I liked Derek and extras . And life's too short had its funny moments.

Livia 01-02-2022 07:38 PM

He's a brilliant self-publicist.