ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Mum ‘charged €600 for some crab legs and a couple of mojitos in holiday rip-off’ (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380978)

Niamh. 25-05-2022 03:32 PM

Mum ‘charged €600 for some crab legs and a couple of mojitos in holiday rip-off’

A mother and daughter were left reeling after they were charged over £500 for a light snack and a couple of cocktails.

Brenda and Keila Moulton had looked forward to spending an idyllic day on the famous Platys Gialos beach in Mykonos.

But instead they were left scared and out of pocket.

They ordered a couple of crabs’ legs and two mojitos at DK Oyster – setting them back €598.92 (£512).

The pair, visiting from the US, were invited to sit on the restaurants deck chairs by a member of staff and they initially declined, but Brenda said the worker became more and more persistent.

She said he told them: ‘Sit here, have a drink and you will have these sunbeds at your disposal for free. It is noon, there is no problem.’

They sat down, were handed a menu but not being hungry they ignored it – but the staff kept coming back.

Brenda said: ‘We were constantly asked if we wanted to order something to eat. Keila and I were not hungry, but we decided to try something from the list, hoping that they would leave us alone.’

https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...size=540%2C681

After sitting there for two hours they asked for the bill and were told they needed to go inside to pay a man at a table who told her to ‘sit down’.

When she saw the bill she said she almost fainted, she told Thema.

She said: ‘At first it was not detailed, because the paper did not show exactly what we had ordered. The guy asked me to pay almost €600 and I told him he could not, some mistake would be made.’

When she argued the bill he told her: ‘I will call the police. They will keep you here and you will not return to your homeland.’

https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...size=540%2C353

DK Oyster insist that ‘absolutely no violations had taken place’ and their staff ‘do not threaten’ customers.

Feeling threatened and scared, they paid, warning other tourists nearby about what had happened.

They have reported the incident to police and instructed lawyers.

DK Oyster said everything they sell was listed in a menu and all products have legal documents. They added: ‘The customer was charged this price because the royal crab legs are not a priced item and the costing is done according to their purchase invoice.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/24/greec...4EXqR840VZGYq8

bitontheslide 25-05-2022 04:06 PM

i have never ordered anything in a restaurant without knowing its price first. Who orders without knowing?

Cherie 25-05-2022 04:08 PM

That is insane, it must have been a fairly posh place though :laugh:

Cherie 25-05-2022 04:10 PM

That said there was a FB post yesterday about some guy trying to book a hire car in Ireland for 5 days ....the smallest model was coming in at 1900.00 euro and I was complaining about the cost of car hire in Spain as it has increased 900 euros for two weeks medium size car

Niamh. 25-05-2022 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11169522)
i have never ordered anything in a restaurant without knowing its price first. Who orders without knowing?

A lot of people apparently if you look at the reviews for this place, I can see how it could happen when you read it, some people only ordered 2 beers and were charged €200, I wouldn't check the price of a beer first

Google - DK Oyster and read the reviews

Niamh. 25-05-2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11169524)
That said there was a FB post yesterday about some guy trying to book a hire car in Ireland for 5 days ....the smallest model was coming in at 1900.00 euro and I was complaining about the cost of car hire in Spain as it has increased 900 euros for two weeks medium size car

Whaaat? that's madness, how did they justify that? :o We're not doing anything to entice tourists back after the pandemic if that's right

Zizu 25-05-2022 04:11 PM

I felt equally miffed after our first and last inedible meal & drink from McDonalds about 15 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alf 25-05-2022 04:14 PM

They should have gone to Bridlington instead, they could have had crabs legs and cockles from the seafood van for less than a fiver.

LeatherTrumpet 25-05-2022 04:22 PM

Just have a look at the trip advisor reviews for this place, they are preying in gulliable travelle

UserSince2005 25-05-2022 04:24 PM

ive been to mykonos and it aint cheap to sit on a beach chair. of course there spot was included in the price of the food. im not sure what they expected.

Zizu 25-05-2022 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 11169532)
They should have gone to Bridlington instead, they could have had crabs legs and cockles from the seafood van for less than a fiver.

I really like Bridlington .. going there in a few weeks .. prefer Scarborough to be honest though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoldHeart 25-05-2022 04:50 PM

Bliddy scammers,and threatening them with the police is out of order. I would have left the moment they kept being pushy about me ordering food when I'm not hungry.

This place clearly took advantage of them ,and just saw them as 'dumb tourists ' .

MTVN 25-05-2022 05:28 PM

Wow normally I think the people must have been very naive in stories like this but looking at the reviews on Google it does basically seem like a criminal enterprise which shouldn't be allowed to operate but it seems like it's been going on for years there

rusticgal 25-05-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Nor would I….:shrug:

Niamh. 25-05-2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusticgal (Post 11169616)
Nor would I….:shrug:

You should read the reviews first though, and like I said up thread one of the reviewers only ordered 2 beers and got a bill of €200, no one asks for the price of beer before they order 1

Cherie 25-05-2022 08:47 PM

The reviews are insane, I can see why people get caught, pushy waiters telling you the sunbeds are free

Someone was charged 3,000 Euros for a family meal :shrug:

parmnion 25-05-2022 09:06 PM

Hopefully Michael's next holiday destination.

MTVN 25-05-2022 09:25 PM

I have just amused myself for the last 20 minutes by reading the restaurant's replies to some of their reviews though

Quote:

Thank you for acknowledging the friendliness of our people. I guess you were also satisfied by the quality of the dishes, the setting and the views. I understand that the only problem was that you expected a lower bill and that spoiled your mood causing this negative review. Perhaps in time you will appreciate the good times more than its cost.

Have a good trip back home.

DK

Niamh. 25-05-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 11169620)
I have just amused myself for the last 20 minutes by reading the restaurant's replies to some of their reviews though

Oh lord, what an absolute cockaroache

Mystic Mock 25-05-2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

This.

Although the company does appear to be psychotic.:joker:

Mystic Mock 25-05-2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 11169620)

I can't believe that Donkey Kong is ripping people off like this.:bawling: