ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Any info on private health insurance (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381254)

Zizu 14-06-2022 07:44 AM

Any info on private health insurance

Just been earwigging on a conversation and it sounds like going ‘private’ is worth every penny ..

Any stories or prices ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitontheslide 14-06-2022 09:13 AM

i used to be in a private health scheme, but as you get older, the annual cost rises spectacularly.

If you are talking about bypassing NHS queues for tests or something, then you are probably better off just booking them privately. In most cases they offer package deals etc if you are in it for an extended time, they also offer payment plans

Zizu 14-06-2022 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11176867)
i used to be in a private health scheme, but as you get older, the annual cost rises spectacularly.

If you are talking about bypassing NHS queues for tests or something, then you are probably better off just booking them privately. In most cases they offer package deals etc if you are in it for an extended time, they also offer payment plans

Thanks

I’m not that clear on the difference between private health insurance and ‘going private’

Thankfully I rarely get poorly but I’m just planning ahead if you get my drift .
I haven’t seen a doctor for about 7 years but the wife tried speaking to hers the other week and couldn’t even get to speak to a person ... just a recorded message sending you to their website which was ‘down’ with a message to ring the practice:(

The Slim Reaper 14-06-2022 09:51 AM

You know the tories are winning, when folks are looking at private insurance in order to have access to basic healthcare.

bitontheslide 14-06-2022 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zizu (Post 11176889)
Thanks

I’m not that clear on the difference between private health insurance and ‘going private’

Thankfully I rarely get poorly but I’m just planning ahead if you get my drift .
I haven’t seen a doctor for about 7 years but the wife tried speaking to hers the other week and couldn’t even get to speak to a person ... just a recorded message sending you to their website which was ‘down’ with a message to ring the practice:(

i hadn't seen a doctor in 20 years, now it feels like i have a season ticket with the doctor and the hospital and that change happened in an instant. I have a very high regard for the NHS given my recent experience, my local doctors practice not so much, i had to shout very loudly before i started getting attention

ThomasC 14-06-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zizu (Post 11176889)
Thanks

Going private would mean having any treatment privately rather than NHS.

Private health insurance covers those costs through a premium you pay....I think private health insurance and life insurance can be the same thing or private health insurance might also cover life insurance....basically a payout if one of you died.

I would compare on a compare website like money supermarket then ring up or request to be contacted by the cheapest quote, have a search around

bitontheslide 14-06-2022 10:40 AM

but, unless you have an emergency situation, the doctor or the 111 nhs route are the options. Private health doesn't provide doctor services, its for specific tests/treatments usually referred by a doctor

Toy Soldier 16-06-2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11176918)
but, unless you have an emergency situation, the doctor or the 111 nhs route are the options. Private health doesn't provide doctor services, its for specific tests/treatments usually referred by a doctor

Yes, GP practices are private businesses by default - just funded per patient by the NHS. They’re not actually NHS run. So really there’s no such thing as a private Gp just for private patients. GP services are a postcode lottery essentially - you just have to try to find one that seems good by word of mouth and hope they have room for you to register… and then hope they don’t decline in standards once you’re in.

Our local one has always been excellent… it’s still Ok but they recently switched to “electronic web form triage” for on the day appointments instead of booking with reception. It’s a crap system that’s becoming more and more common. Hopefully not the beginning of the end of their usually high standards :idc:.

Cherie 23-06-2022 03:19 PM

At your age it would be madness to get health insurance Zizu, you would pay an arm and a leg especially if you have any health issues, pay privately if you need it? My aunt does this, she recently had her cataracts done privately, cost about 7K, she would have waited at least 6 months on the NHS and at 86 she didnt want to do that, she also had alot more options with private, if she had gone with the lens used by the NHS she would have ended up using reading glasses which she doesn't use now

Zizu 23-06-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11180446)
At your age it would be madness to get health insurance Zizu, you would pay an arm and a leg especially if you have any health issues, pay privately if you need it? My aunt does this, she recently had her cataracts done privately, cost about 7K, she would have waited at least 6 months on the NHS and at 86 she didnt want to do that, she also had alot more options with private, if she had gone with the lens used by the NHS she would have ended up using reading glasses which she doesn't use now

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UserSince2005 23-06-2022 07:04 PM

i only go private because you know its the end when you rely on the NHS

bitontheslide 23-06-2022 07:11 PM

I've heard some horror stories about waiting times on the NHS, but my experience has been pretty positive and that's all I can go by. I had found a few private options if I needed them, but I saved a few grand with timely NHS responses