ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How religious are you with your tablets-regime (if you regularly take medication)? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382844)

Redway 20-10-2022 08:18 PM

How religious are you with your tablets-regime (if you regularly take medication)?

Whether you take gabapentin, tramadol, anti-acne tablets, fluoxetine or insulin (and/or everything in-between), are you the sort of person (if you happen to take medication long-term) who takes your tablets exactly as you’re supposed to and without fail or do you skip doses?

Dogeatdog 20-10-2022 08:40 PM

I don’t take medication anymore but I did use to take Doxycycline when I was in my late teens because I used to get quite insecure about my spots :laugh:. It was only one tablet a day which I would have every morning without fail.

I had been through the usual facial cleansing products you can get out of most places etc and they never worked for me until I was prescribed doxycycline for a month and I noticed a huge difference straight away and I never had any side effects from the tablets either.

I was on this medication for about 2 years but it helped me massively and I think it was mostly down to being consistent and having a strict routine when it came to taking the medication.

smudgie 20-10-2022 09:52 PM

Day by day..all 23 of them.
I do very occasionally skip the evening antibiotics.

Redway 20-10-2022 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 11220530)
Day by day..all 23 of them.
I do very occasionally skip the evening antibiotics.

Do you experience a lot of side-effects, having to take that number of medicines every day?

bitontheslide 21-10-2022 08:16 AM

i take my pills each day and never miss a dose, there is quite an incentive when the alternative is death

LeatherTrumpet 21-10-2022 08:36 AM

thankfully i dont take any tablets save the odd ibuprofen once in a blue moon

smudgie 21-10-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 11220553)
Do you experience a lot of side-effects, having to take that number of medicines every day?

Not really.
Very used to them all now.
If I didnt take them then I would be in big trouble.

hijaxers 21-10-2022 04:26 PM

My life would be hell without my meds 3 times a day another 4 times a day another once and a inhaler at nightime. I am also diabetic Type 2 but currently med free thankfully after years of meds.

Redway 26-10-2022 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogeatdog (Post 11220524)
I don’t take medication anymore but I did use to take Doxycycline when I was in my late teens because I used to get quite insecure about my spots :laugh:. It was only one tablet a day which I would have every morning without fail.

I had been through the usual facial cleansing products you can get out of most places etc and they never worked for me until I was prescribed doxycycline for a month and I noticed a huge difference straight away and I never had any side effects from the tablets either.

I was on this medication for about 2 years but it helped me massively and I think it was mostly down to being consistent and having a strict routine when it came to taking the medication.

Have you ever tried Lumin for facial skincare?

Redway 13-01-2023 08:58 AM

What’s all this fuss about statins/anti-cholesterol tablets?

bitontheslide 13-01-2023 10:12 AM

those with a 10% chance of heart attack/stroke are likely to avoid it if they take a statin. The pills are dirt cheap so that alone could relieve the strain on the NHS a lot

Niamh. 13-01-2023 10:13 AM

I take heart burn tablets and If I miss a day I'll regret it so i don't :laugh:

bitontheslide 13-01-2023 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11250419)

i have to take a stomach pill every day to negate the damage all the other meds do to my stomach, the upside is that i haven't had indigestion in ages :laugh:

Redway 13-01-2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11250419)

Are they over-the-counter heartburn med’s or actually prescribed?

Redway 13-01-2023 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11250418)
those with a 10% chance of heart attack/stroke are likely to avoid it if they take a statin. The pills are dirt cheap so that alone could relieve the strain on the NHS a lot

I’ve got to be honest, I don’t know a great deal about Statin so I can only say so much but I’ve heard contradictory things about it. Anything that has a chance of substantially reducing heart-attacks/strokes in people vulnerable/predisposed to it has got to be worth looking into on the part of prescribers but at what cost do these apparent benefits come?

Edit: it does look like I’m asking a lot of questions (if I read another one of these posts of mine on here with a question mark I’m going to have head-loss) but I dunno. I guess it’s just interesting to read about people’s experiences with something important but that a lot of people aren’t too religious with.

Niamh. 13-01-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 11250422)
Are they over-the-counter heartburn med’s or actually prescribed?

A bit of both, they were prescribed to me so they're cheaper than if I were to buy them over the counter but they're just a generic version of Nexium.

Niamh. 13-01-2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11250421)
i have to take a stomach pill every day to negate the damage all the other meds do to my stomach, the upside is that i haven't had indigestion in ages :laugh:

Small mercies eh? :laugh:

Redway 13-01-2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 11250428)
A bit of both, they were prescribed to me so they're cheaper than if I were to buy them over the counter but they're just a generic version of Nexium.

Ah, I see.

bitontheslide 13-01-2023 10:52 AM

yeah, nexium is just a brand selling at a vastly inflated price.

Livia 13-01-2023 11:10 AM

Every day without fail, but not because 'I'm that kind of person'. My meds have to be taken in the morning before caffeine.

Soldier Boy 13-01-2023 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 11250425)
I’ve got to be honest, I don’t know a great deal about Statin so I can only say so much but I’ve heard contradictory things about it. Anything that has a chance of substantially reducing heart-attacks/strokes in people vulnerable/predisposed to it has got to be worth looking into on the part of prescribers but at what cost do these apparent benefits come?

Edit: it does look like I’m asking a lot of questions (if I read another one of these posts of mine on here with a question mark I’m going to have head-loss) but I dunno. I guess it’s just interesting to read about people’s experiences with something important but that a lot of people aren’t too religious with.

Cholesterol isn't just "bad stuff to have", cholesterol (including LDL cholesterol) has quite a few vital functions, we need it and the only issue is when LDL is too high. OR too low. It's just uncommon for it to be "naturally" too low.

Thus the only time it's appropriate to give statins is in people with cholesterol levels that are raised enough to be a significant concern, to bring it into normal range. The risk of giving it to people who are "borderline" - as is being suggested - is that it'll bring the level too low which yes will vastly reduce the risk of acute medical emergencies like heart attacks and strokes, but it increases cancer risk, and also affects things like hormone receptors including serotonin receptors.

This plan to hand them out to millions of people who are only at small risk of an acute medical event is specifically designed to take the pressure off emergency medical services by passing the buck onto potential long-term health conditions and depression.

Because the Tories don't care if the proles are long-term sick so long as they're not visibly clogging up A&E's and HDU's, and handing out pills is easier and cheaper than promoting healthy lifestyles and ensuring that people can afford to live them.

It's infuriating.

Alf 13-01-2023 06:08 PM

A cup of tea does me.

Redway 02-07-2023 08:59 PM

One thing I’ve learnt about medication is to not judge people’s weight without knowing the circumstances behind it. Topiramate and Orlisat (Xenical) are there to keep people leaner if the tablets they take cause weight gain but both of them have weird side-effects of their own that make people not even want to take them after reading the list, and topiramate wouldn’t normally be recommended just for the sake of losing weight anyway (as impressive a side-effect as it is but you have to need it for another reason, like migraines or bipolar disorder, to justify the horrible side-effects of it). You don’t know if the person who’s recently added 10 pounds is on a tablet that’s directly caused them to gain those extra pounds. It might not be anything to do with their diet/the way they eat or lack of exercise at all. I remember eating at a restaurant in central London about 9 years ago and wondering how one woman who pulled through got like that (she really was quite big) and I slyly (if discreetly) pointed it out to the people I was eating with but what I didn’t factor in is that she could’ve been on tablets that caused tremendous weight-gain and once I realised that (years later) I felt ashamed for judging her for being that big. When the alternative is death or being seriously ill, adding a few pounds is probably the least of someone’s concerns. They’re going to be more aware of their weight than anyone-else anyway but it’s a case of priority. Having a hefty six-pack/summer body is nice and one can worry about that closer to the time but it’s ultimately their bag and probably one that’s quite low on their list of priorities. It’s not for anyone else now to keep rehashing the same misplaced concerns about how someone’s getting fat. You’ve got to ask yourself who the person’s doing it for and it won’t be you. Your rightful own is just to shut up and mind your business.

I’m ambivalent on the whole ‘de-normalise this and that’ kind of ting but one thing people definitely need to stop doing is pointing out that someone’s gained weight like it’s some sort of conversation starter. It’s incredibly rude in the first place but especially when it’s genuinely a side-effect of a medication they take and nothing to actually do with them and unless you have an extensive file of all their confidential medical information you ain’t going to know. It’s none of your business.

LeatherTrumpet 02-07-2023 09:56 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExZhDcMXIAATuVy.jpg

Redway 02-07-2023 11:14 PM

There’s a lot of stuff you just don’t know about people. Assumptions can be deadly.