ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Actor Sam Neill reveals he has blood cancer (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384685)

arista 17-03-2023 06:37 PM

Actor Sam Neill reveals he has blood cancer

[Jurassic Park star Sam Neill has revealed he
has been diagnosed with stage
three blood cancer.
The 75-year-old actor told The Guardian that
writing his memoir gave him a
"reason to live" following the diagnosis.
He said he started writing the book,
called Did I Ever Tell You This?,
as a way to keep busy while receiving
treatment last year.
"I realised it was actually sort of giving
me a reason to live," Neill said.
"I would go to bed thinking:
'I'll write about that tomorrow... that will
entertain me.']

[His book also reportedly discusses his
experience with chemotherapy,
which initially started to fail,
before he began taking a new
chemotherapy drug that he will
take monthly for the rest of his life,
despite now being cancer-free.]

https://news.sky.com/story/jurassic-...ancer-12836522

Hang in there,
fella

Zizu 17-03-2023 06:50 PM

That’s so sad to hear .. one of my favourite actors

Peaky Blinders
The Tudors
Dead Calm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oliver_W 17-03-2023 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 11273390)
Hang in there,
fella

@ Nicky

Vanessa 17-03-2023 06:52 PM

Oh no, one of my favourite actors.

Zizu 17-03-2023 06:55 PM

He’s lucky to be able to afford the very best treatment available to him ..

Cherie 17-03-2023 09:00 PM

awful disease

Mystic Mock 17-03-2023 09:07 PM

Hopefully the new Drug that he is taking will work wonders for him.

arista 18-03-2023 01:13 AM

Posting Paper, on this thread as well
Sam photo.

https://liveblog.digitalimages.sky/l...53c808a84.jpeg

Gusto Brunt 18-03-2023 05:03 AM

Good actor. Hope he gets well.

rusticgal 18-03-2023 12:03 PM

Thats so sad....I just love Sam Neill.

Nicky91 18-03-2023 12:46 PM

very sad, hope he gets well

one of my fave actors (and also seems like a really lovely guy, also seen him one time on his farm, a show which was broadcast on our cooking channel 24Kitchen, he has such cute piggies :flutter: and has his own wine too)

love his friendship with fellow JP originals Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern as well :love:

Redway 18-03-2023 01:12 PM

I hope he gets well soon but at the same time cancer isn’t the death sentence it used to be so my fingers are confidently crossed anyway. There’s so much they can do for it these days. Hopefully he’s early-stage.

Gusto Brunt 18-03-2023 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11273430)
awful disease

I heard an advert on LBC Radio that said 1 in 2 get cancer.

Surely that cannot be right.

Redway 18-03-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11273570)
I heard an advert on LBC Radio that said 1 in 2 get cancer.

Surely that cannot be right.

They were probably saying that 1 in 2 people will be personally affected by cancer in general, whether themselves or just by virtue of knowing someone who has it. But either way it does get on my nerves when people act like cancer’s a literal death-sentence. As a society we’re conditioned to hear more about the tragic cases and they absolutely have my sympathy (especially considering I lost someone close to cancer a couple of years back) but just as many people win the battle. And some forms of leukaemia/blood cancer are really mild and responsive to treatment.

Zizu 18-03-2023 03:35 PM

I can’t believe this ..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...62911a9043.jpg

Redway 18-03-2023 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zizu (Post 11273575)
I can’t believe this ..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...62911a9043.jpg

Well, that’s life. One thing we probably need to do worldwide this decade is taking away some of this over-stigmatisation of cancer away. Sympathy’s obviously key for anyone suffering from any serious illness but too much of ‘omg I can’t believe person X has such a horrid disease’ makes sufferers feel like they’re essentially a goner and probably shouldn’t even try with surgery/chemo. In 2023 it is not the invariable death sentence it used to be and that needs to be reflected in the way people talk about it (more optimism than sympathetically expecting them to be goners). Comments like that are annoying to read after a while.

Gusto Brunt 19-03-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 11273573)
They were probably saying that 1 in 2 people will be personally affected by cancer in general, whether themselves or just by virtue of knowing someone who has it. But either way it does get on my nerves when people act like cancer’s a literal death-sentence. As a society we’re conditioned to hear more about the tragic cases and they absolutely have my sympathy (especially considering I lost someone close to cancer a couple of years back) but just as many people win the battle. And some forms of leukaemia/blood cancer are really mild and responsive to treatment.

Yes, that could sound about right. But even so I don't know of anyone, friends, family, neighbours who have had cancer.

Redway 19-03-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11273997)
Yes, that could sound about right. But even so I don't know of anyone, friends, family, neighbours who have had cancer.

I’m a bit surprised you genuinely don’t know anyone who’s had it. I used the one close relation who sadly lost the battle some years back as one example (and a really sad one) but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. All my life I’ve known of people who’ve had some form of cancer over the years and I assume that’s what more people than not experience. It’s not a rare kind of illness.

Redway 19-03-2023 12:34 PM

I could tell you a lot of stories, Gusto, (some tragic, many others good-outcome) of the people I know who’ve battled cancer but ultimately those aren’t my stories to tell and much of it’s quite personal so I’m not going to say too much. But just know that cancer’s far from the rare death-sentence you might’ve thought of it as. There are probably people in your local pub dealing with it. People go through so much in life.

Gusto Brunt 19-03-2023 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 11274038)
I’m a bit surprised you genuinely don’t know anyone who’s had it. I used the one close relation who sadly lost the battle some years back as one example (and a really sad one) but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. All my life I’ve known of people who’ve had some form of cancer over the years and I assume that’s what more people than not experience. It’s not a rare kind of illness.

Hand on heart, NO. My grandfather and grandmother died of natural causes, as did two of my uncles and an aunt. No friends haven't been stricken with it either, or their parents. If so it has never been mentioned. It's always the heart that fails in the deaths I know about. But usually in very old age. :)

Redway 19-03-2023 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11274056)
Hand on heart, NO. My grandfather and grandmother died of natural causes, as did two of my uncles and an aunt. No friends haven't been stricken with it either, or their parents. If so it has never been mentioned. It's always the heart that fails in the deaths I know about. But usually in very old age. :)

I wasn’t really insinuating that cancer was the most common note for old people to go out on by any means in the first place but like I said I’m surprised.

I don’t know what kind of lucky, lucky life you’ve lived. I don’t just know for you.

GoldHeart 20-03-2023 02:22 AM

Devasting news
Hope he gets better

Redway 31-03-2023 02:48 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ry-memoir.html