ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Killer 'Swine Flu' has spread to UK (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84401)

MR.K! 27-04-2009 05:32 PM

Killer \'Swine Flu\' has spread to UK

The swine flu has now been confirmed in The United Kingdom, as two patients in Aidrie, Scotland have been tested positive after returning home from Mexico. They are being quarantined in Airdrie hospital and they (and thier family) are recieving treatment. Thier symptoms are not severe as of yet.
UK citizens are bein told to stay 'vigillant' of people coming back from Mexico, with flu-like symptons.

Lauren 27-04-2009 05:35 PM

7 people they came into contact with are also being treated after showing flu-like symptoms. Does this mean it has person-to-person exchange?

MR.K! 27-04-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lauren
7 people they came into contact with are also being treated after showing flu-like symptoms. Does this mean it has person-to-person exchange?
Yes. It is contageous on a passive level (contact)

Lauren 27-04-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MR.K!
Quote:

Yes. It is contageous on a passive level.
How do they plan on controlling it then?!

Cos then the 7 they came into contact with, will have come into contact with others, who'd have come into contact with others etc?
Mad

MR.K! 27-04-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. It is contageous on a passive level.
How do they plan on controlling it then?!

Cos then the 7 they came into contact with, will have come into contact with others, who'd have come into contact with others etc?
Mad
Well everyone they told the doctors that they came into diredct contact with is being treated with new drugs.

They say UK & France are the two 'most prepared' nations in the world though.

Novo 27-04-2009 05:39 PM

Am locking myself up in my house

Scarlett. 27-04-2009 05:40 PM

*throws table over and shoots self in head*

Lauren 27-04-2009 05:40 PM

Poor piggies.

MR.K! 27-04-2009 05:41 PM

If it spreads further (which i doubt) rapidly, they would probably close the border i would imagine. But only so many people died in Mexico because they have poor healthcare.

Xander 27-04-2009 05:41 PM

There showing mild symptoms and are "recovering well" according to BBC news like most people outside Mexico who have caught it.

Mrluvaluva 27-04-2009 05:41 PM

Apparently they have drugs for 50% of the UK population, but a vaccine will take 3 to 6 months to develop. So what will the drugs do??

Lauren 27-04-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

If it spreads further (which i doubt) rapidly, they would probably close the border i would imagine. But only so many people died in Mexico because they have poor healthcare.
Didn't WHO say that Mexico have a higher instance of death because there's more of them with it?

I can't explain myself very well, so I'll use a made-up example:

Mexico: 1000 with it, 40 deaths.
UK: ~10 with it, 0 deaths.
Canada: ~10 with it, 0 deaths.

I.e. Mexico has more people with it so a higher instance of death, and as the affected rate rises, so does the death toll?

MR.K! 27-04-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't WHO say that Mexico have a higher instance of death because there's more of them with it?

I can't explain myself very well, so I'll use a made-up example:

Mexico: 1000 with it, 40 deaths.
UK: ~10 with it, 0 deaths.
Canada: ~10 with it, 0 deaths.

I.e. Mexico has more people with it so a higher instance of death, and as the affected rate rises, so does the death toll?
I dont know how it works. You could be right though.

Also there has been no deaths outside Mexico yet because they are showing 'early sympoms' they arent avanced cases. YET.

Novo 27-04-2009 05:51 PM

The Pig's Are flying Over From Mexico

http://www.searchingforagem.com/FlyingPig.gif

MR.K! 27-04-2009 05:54 PM

^ Yes. I saw that on the news :rolleyes:

:bigsmile:

pinkmichk 27-04-2009 05:57 PM

also in the uk we generally have a higher healthcare rate same as the states compared to mexico which is why lower instances of it and no deaths here also if it started in mexico there is more people in the at risk area than say people travelling there they are saying that unless its urgent you go there then dont go which will help and if you have been and develop flu symtoms to phone docs but stay indoors and they will send the drugs to you the drugs are anti viral guessing on the same lines as a antibiotic

andyman 27-04-2009 05:58 PM

Only ******* and women can die from this..

Thats me safe, phew!

JohnnyBB 27-04-2009 06:03 PM

the goverment are lazy id close all borders now.

Shaun 27-04-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyBB
:rolleyes:

a) Too late.
b) Uh, trade. Holidaymakers. What happens to them?

MR.K! 27-04-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyBB
They would only to that in an pandemic. It would cost the already depleated economy too much to do that.

Fom 27-04-2009 06:05 PM

Hm I really don't know what to think about this, if it is another case of Bird Flu then I shan't worry.

JohnnyBB 27-04-2009 06:39 PM

oh noez 4 in ireland being tested!

Lauren 27-04-2009 06:51 PM

Does anyone know more about this strain?

Cos the news are giving conflicting reports.

I've either been given wrong info or the health service is much more developed than I first thought!

Okay, take the two from Scotland as an example. They came into contact with 7 people, who then, assumedly, each came into contact with ~7 each. Now imagine if just ONE of these people work in a restaurant for example... surely that's going to spread it faster than they can control? And surely they can't expect to quarantine everyone they've come into contact with?

Or is it not that... "catchable" ?

Rob 27-04-2009 07:21 PM

they need to stop everything in or out of mexico before it does spread..

Xander 27-04-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know more about this strain?

Cos the news are giving conflicting reports.

I've either been given wrong info or the health service is much more developed than I first thought!

Okay, take the two from Scotland as an example. They came into contact with 7 people, who then, assumedly, each came into contact with ~7 each. Now imagine if just ONE of these people work in a restaurant for example... surely that's going to spread it faster than they can control? And surely they can't expect to quarantine everyone they've come into contact with?

Or is it not that... "catchable" ?
Im just really confused by it.
Last night they were saying that only 30 people died that had the H151(?) Swine flu strain in Mexico, and the rest was human influenza, now I have no idea wether that is true or not.
At the moment all people infected out of Mexico are showing mild symptoms and "responding well" and "recovering well" to the treatment there being given.
Its still quite catchable, seeing as it is Flu.