View Single Post
Old 21-06-2018, 09:44 PM #54
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
For a start, it makes the worst offenders be far more careful and therefore less likely to get caught by official means. Secondly, the actual conviction rate from these "stings" is abysmal. And when there is a conviction its rarely a meaningful one. Thirdly, anything they **** up - any hint that it was them that suggested a meeting / they pushed the conversation forwards themselves and the whole thing collapses and are now more careful and potentially more dangerous.

There's a reason that every "civilised" society throughout history has had laws against vigilantism. But hey... I guess these FB groups know better. .
That's not true, there is a very good conviction rate actually.
Throughout history there been facebook has there?... If these predictors are using social media to hunt for victims then what is wrong with utilising that to expose them?
They have in the past made mistakes but are now organised, educated as to the remit of the laws in relation to these 'stings' .
Would I prefer it if the police were the ones doing it? Yes, however the resources just aren't there therefore as a parent this is preferable to me than nothing.

If these civilians prevent the abuse/ attack of a child then is it not worth it?