View Single Post
Old 17-07-2018, 02:04 PM #6
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJam View Post
I think it's imperative that you give reason why 9 is bottom two tbh
I found it frustrating for multiple reasons.

1) The battles had abysmal framerate and were painfully slow even in fastest speed - a LOT of watching the characters doing literally nothing - and I think Squeenix noticed too because it's something they fixed in FFX with conditional turn based rather than "meter-fill" active turn based. I feel like it's an issue that would have frustrated me in the SNES era games too, but I played those on emulator and made liberal use of the fast forward button. It had a lot of the classic problems that end-of-generation games have basically, i.e. Ambitiously pushing the hardware slightly too far and being worse off for it.

Same goes for battle transitions. From triggering a random battle to the battle actually starting, took ****ing centuries.

For me, those combined made a potentially good tactical battle system infuriating and just not fun. "Oh Nooo, a battle, yawn" is not a good sign.

2) Trance was literally pointless compared to earlier limit breaks due to auto activate. WHY. Worst design decision ever. "I feel like there's a boss round the corner but first I must fight this tiny fly. TRAAANCE PPSSHHWWW SUPERPOWER DIE FLY!"

3) Contrary to the above Quina-love... I can't stand Quina. We're talking JarJar levels of dislike here. Enough-to-ruin-the-story level of dislike. "ME EAT FWOG". No Quina just piss off plz.

4) The villain was OK but not amazing and motivations didn't quite match personality. He was no Kefka, put it that way.

5) I was a moody teenager. I liked my brooding Cloud and Squall and cheerful Zidane irritated me. I don't actually particularly rate any of the characters .

6) I played it right off the back of playing Xenogears, and Xenogears is in my personal top 5 gaming experiences of all time.

... There might be loads more, I just remember finding it a chore. I actually think I stopped playing after disc 2 (of 4) and didn't go back to it for over 6 months.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote