View Single Post
Old 17-09-2018, 06:57 AM #13
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I've been thinking about this sacking (and the Roseanne Barr one), and the differing reactions to it, in the light of Ellis's removal on Big Brother.

There was a petition going about demanding he be rehired.

I'm not fussed about it because I saw the first Guardians OTG film, and didn't think it was that good. Definately not as good as Star Wars, which was less knowing and less about winking at the audience.
I personally think the difference is the time gap. If he'd said these things in recent tweets then yeah, by all means, it's highly unprofessional conduct and damaging the image of the company and he has to go. But ten years ago?? A person changes so much in the space of a decade that you're practically firing something for a joke some other immature guy made in the past . And for things that passed back then and are only considered (universally) unacceptable now. It's not just moving the goalposts, it's moving the goalposts and then saying that a goal scored before they were moved is now void, because it went wide of the new marker.

It's like firing Matt Lucas from whatever he's doing now for his trans / blackface / learning disabled sketches on Little Britain... even though he's vocally expressed that he regrets making them and cringes when he sees them.

Everyone has said sh*t they would now deeply regret in the past. Everyone. If someone could dig up things I said when I was in my early 20's I'd be screwed . Things that I didn't even believe at the time, and wouldn't joke about now, with the benefit of experience and hindsight.

Luckily, all of it was either fleetingly said in person and not recorded, or on anonymous accounts online. There's a reason all y'all don't know my name or what I look like; I mean I don't think I've said anything career-wrecking on here but honestly who ****ing knows.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote