Old 17-09-2018, 10:06 AM #2
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodog View Post
The Ellis situation sends out an important message to the public:

"You cannot trust twitter and facebook"

Why?

Because if she'd made those same comments in a private text message or a hand-written letter, had written them down in a diary, or had simply said them out loud to someone - then she would not be in this situation.

It is because they are on twitter that this is happening.

So what are twitter/facebook really about then?

Some kind of trapping device, to be used against people if they ever become famous?

This is why I (and many many others) do not have accounts on those platforms. Well dodgy.

We ALL make mistakes and say dumb stuff about other people, especially when we are young. EVERYONE does.
Should we ALL be punished in this way, for dumb stuff we said when we were children?
Literally one of the first things my wife did when her name started becoming known / recognised professionally was to completely delete her old Facebook account and start a new "clean" one.

It's not just things you might have said once upon a time, there are all sorts of pitfalls. Pictures of her drunk as a teenager, other people tagging her in (professionally) inappropriate pictures and statuses, etc. etc... there's no way anyone can remember everything that will be on their social media going back years. If you're ever in a position where your name is going to be "out there", you just need to shut it all down completely and have a blank slate that you keep a tight control over.

Personally, I have very little interest in social media (I find it utterly toxic) so I deleted my own facebook and the account I have now is purely for keeping in touch with some people who only use FB messenger, and local buying/selling etc. pages which can be very handy. I don't post pictures / statuses etc. at all and I remove it if anyone tags me in anything.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 17-09-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote