View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM #40
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
What?

We've already had a referendum and a result. You would like another vote because the result wasn't what you wanted. That's not democracy. Maybe if people had got off their lazy arses and voted the first time round you'd have got your result. I don't believe in running it again for people who didn't vote the first time.
But isn't that what you're doing now? If enough of a majority call out for another vote then surely the democratic solution would be to listen like the government eventually did the first time. I'm with you that the brexit voters made their bed but in the case that most people want another vote, it's hypocritical to oppose it if you didn't oppose people calling for the vote in the first place. You're basically saying you don't want a do-over because you don't want people who didn't vote before to change the result to something you don't want.

I think this whole post is just ****ing wrong really. I should have highlighted all of it on second thought.

Describing people who didn't vote as lazy is an ignorant statement, I'd say it's lazier just to vote one way or another without being informed on each side's argument but that's what people do in their droves.

At the end of the day, Livia. You can't preach in the name of democracy in one sentence and then say you don't want another vote because of people who didn't vote the first time, what about their right to democracy?

It's all or nothing Livia, you can't pick or choose what elements of democracy you like or what benefits you. I don't want another vote either but if the people demand it then it's the government's job to listen.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote