View Single Post
Old 20-12-2018, 06:21 PM #52
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Grown adults who have faith. And yes, people feel the need to mock something they don't understand. You can believe whatever you like... I don't feel the need to mock you because that would be ignorant of me.
You make it sound like faith is some mystical unknowable thing when in reality it's anything but that. It just means accepting things without any evidence, that's it, nothing more glamorous than that, unfortunately for those who use it as a shield to avoid scrutinising their own beliefs.

People are free to believe whatever they choose, but ideas are not sacred, and especially when it comes to religion. Religion to this day has a say in the lives of the world; we only need to look at the detrimental effects catholicism has in Africa, or how Islam is a curse in the middle east and parts of Africa.

Or how religion in this very day in the US fights to take rights away from women who wish to control their own reproductive systems.

I'm sorry if that offends you, but it's nearly 2019 and we know stuff these days. In any other context, believing in the stuff that religion requires you to believe would be open to mockery. Religion was just our first attempt at understanding the world, nothing more grand than that, but I credit the ancients for their ambition.

By all means call me ignorant if you wish, but it would be misguided because I understand full well what religion is, I'm just not impressed.