Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
oh god this forum is not ready for Judith Butler. In all the years I've had these discussions I've made a conscious effort not to reference her work

It's her reflections on sexed bodies (and how you cannot understand sex without gender) that I find most interesting, there is an extraordinary passage in Gender Trouble on that that I'll try and find at a later date

If you're interested in queer theory though I'd highly recommend Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's Epistemology of the Closet, it's essential reading for The Gays and will change your life, trust! And obviously you can't understand sexuality without reading Michel Foucault either. Essentially my position/area of interest is no longer "hm, I wonder whether sexuality is innate or nurtured " but rather "the very notion of 'having' a sexual orientation in the first place is in fact the product of discursive formation". I've posted excerpts of these on here before so give me a shout if you want me to expand, it's the 6th January and I cba

I can't believe THIS is my first post in over two weeks Happy New Year y'all, btw
finally some common ground for us

Gender Trouble I have found extremely challenging... I've just started part 2 and it does seem to be getting better. The first part of the book that made complete sense for me was the end of Part 1 which concluded those ideas.

I will definitely need to look into that book! I've wanted to do a book on queer theory or LGBT history next.
TomC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote