View Single Post
Old 30-01-2019, 08:42 AM #35
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Judging a man who grew up in the Edwardian era by today’s super woke standards is obviously ridiculous.
I’m sure many many historical figures have skeletons in their closets.Ghandi?Mandela?
Ghandi and Mandela are both great examples actually. They have skeletons, zombies, dead children, the works . Anyone who likes their history nice 'n' sweet might not want to look too hard at Mother Teresa, also.

Quote:
Besides that ginger turd would be speaking German and eating sourkraut for breakfast if it was’nt for Churchill.He wants to be abit more greatful.
See I personally think this is just as offensive to the memory of the British men and women who fought in the war as the oft-used "You would be German if we hadn't stepped in!!" jibes in American TV shows. There's just no way to assess whether it's accurate or not. We know that Churchill didn't LOSE the war for us, but we have no idea how things would have gone (better, worse, or just the same) with a different PM. There IS no way to know. And I think giving a huge chunk of the credit for sacrifices made by literally millions of people to one individual who, even when it came to tactics and strategy, was only one small piece of the equation, is a bit... off.

I also personally believe it's important to recognise that the VAST majority of historical success stories are stories of exemplary human cooperation and that myths, fables andtales of great heroes are just that. Stories. Half-truths, exaggerations and fictions.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-01-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote