View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM #246
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
a Dr told me to welcome the attack, recognise it for what it was and sort of repeat "this will not kill me" and I honestly can say it worked for me. It took time for me to get it and recognise when an attack was coming and I could then stop it before it got a grip.
I'd say that sounds like he was introducing the basics of CBT, which is about disrupting cognitive distortions (and a panic attack is essentially an out of control cognitive distortion), correcting the thinking, and putting it aside. A lot more complicated than that obviously but even the very basics would probably help many people.

I don't think I've ever had a full blown panic attack. I have suffered with generalised anxiety and TWICE I thought I was on the verge of a panic attack when coming out of the cinema - pounding / racing heart that I couldn't get under control, feeling spaced out and lightheaded, sweating - thought it was maybe about being overwhelmed in the movie...

...have since realised that it happens because I get a massive bucket of fizzy / sour pick 'n' mix and large drink... and tango ice blast... every time I go to the cinema and binge it in the first hour of the movie, so when I get up to leave, I'm in the midst of a catestrophic sugar crash .

I worked out that I was consuming nearly half a kilogram of sugar in an hour. HALF A KILOGRAM! An actual half bag of pure sugar . Me: "Wow why do I feel so weird..."
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote