View Single Post
Old 26-07-2019, 06:54 AM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
A 79-year-old Chinese man appeared in court in New Zealand last week after he pinched a toddler's penis in a swimming pool changing room.

But despite admitting assault, he was let off a charge as the judge accepted his argument that the behaviour was a traditional sign of affection in China, say media reports.

How true is that and how has China reacted?

Last August, in a recreation centre changing room in Christchurch, Chinese man Ren Changfu saw a boy he didn't know getting changed with his father. Ren went over to talk to them, flicked the toddler's penis, laughed and touched it again, New Zealand media report.

The father told Ren to stop and called the police.

The man, who had moved to New Zealand in 2009, told the police that he hadn't known such an action was offensive there, and that the young victim had reminded him of a grandson back in China whom he missed deeply.

Ren's daughter prepared a report that said in China, tweaking a child's penis was a way of showing affection.

Christchurch District Court Judge Alistair Garland accepted the defence's submission and decided there was no sexual motive behind Ren's behaviour, local media reported.

The judge reportedly said Ren was devastated to have upset the family and "willing to do anything he could to make amends", and that his actions "needed to be understood in terms of Mr Ren's culture".

The child's parents have accepted his apology and compensation of NZ$1,000 ($670; £540).

The news has become a talking point on Chinese social media over the past week, with most people saying it's a misinterpretation of societal norms.

Chinese news portal Sohu reposted the anecdote on Weibo, sparking huge controversy.

Among more than 1,200 comments, about 300 said they had never thought of the action as being part of the culture. Nearly 200 said they'd seen or heard about it decades ago in certain rural areas, practiced by the old people, but that it was a dying habit widely seen now as ugly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-49093697

-------

Very dodgy if you ask me, seems like another avenue for a perv to strike.
...I did google to see if it was something known as some type of ancient culture and nothing came up..(...Lord knows what my googling history will say about me...)...it seem odd because he’d lived in NZ for 10 yrs ...but the parents seem to have accepted there was innocent intent...as has the judge...interesting that 200 comments out of 1200 were stating that the practise was known to them...but obviously something there was no place in society for...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote