View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 01:01 PM #42
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post

If I was down with conspiracy theories, I'd think the timing of the release of Cherbonyl was fishy
I'd say Chernobyl actually made a good case for nuclear not being that bad at all! It explained the situation pretty well, pointing out that it wasn't "an inevitability" of something inherently dangerous... but a combination of bad design, Soviet cost-cutting, and human error from insufficiently trained staff. The second half of the series was really all about a small group standing up and saying "No, look, this was a Soviet **** up not an unavoidable accident, part of the design needs fixed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Man made climate change

the climate always changes every year and over long periods like the ice age 10,000 years ago or the 17th Century winters where the Thames regularly froze over and Frost fairs were held

Its should be addressed as man made climate change as that is the specific issue and not climate change on its own
I agree that the distinction is important, because people try to use evidence of normal climate fluctuations to explain away the current situation... so yes it's important for people to know that climate change over time is normal, but that the current increase, and moreso the SPEED of change is too far outside the "normal range" to be passed off as having nothing to do with human activity.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote